The Good News Report

atlrvr

8 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Could US Bank just take floors being vacated by BofA at Hearst rather than build a whole new tower?

are they vacating a bunch of floors there?  Obviously that is an option if a lot of space came available but that tower is currently 98/99% full.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

are they vacating a bunch of floors there?  Obviously that is an option if a lot of space came available but that tower is currently 98/99% full.  

My understanding is some of the teams in Hearst will move to Legacy Union and BofA won't backfill those floors.

• Like 3

Hmmm maybe the new US Bank branch will go in the ground floor of Hearst then.    Question" Is Bank of America vacating a lot of space in Hearst, Bank of America Plaza or others?  a couple of floors here and there can be absorbed most likely by other tenants in those buildings.  

• Like 2

Jena Martin at Charlotte Business Journal (01/28/2019) reports - "Local Home Value Growth Increases. bucking trend"  

A new report by residential real estate website Zillow indicates that home-value growth slowed down in many of the nation's largest housing markets throughout 2018 — but not in Charlotte."  "The metro area continued last year to see its median home value appreciate above the national average, jumping 11.2% in December ($250,100) compared to the 7.6% uptick for the average U.S. home ($223,900), according to the report.  A year ago, local home values grew year over year 8.5%. That made the Queen City's annual acceleration in home values the fourth highest of the 35 largest U.S. markets, trailing Indianapolis (up 12.8% from 5.9% in December 2017), Atlanta (up 13.2% from 8.1%) and Houston, Texas (up 6.8% from 3.9%)."

Link:  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/01/28/cbj-morning-buzz-local-home-value-growth-increases.html?

• Like 4

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Charter Communications parent of Spectrum is taking 61xxx sq ft of office space in a single story building off Forest Point at 77 and Arrowood.  They already have a huge 4 building campus across from Maresk and Microsoft.    When they bought Time Warner they were a few layoffs if I remember but they seem to be adding jobs in Charlotte now.  I would think there are substantial cost savings here versa their HQ in Connecticut. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/01/30/telecom-company-takes-full-building-with-lease-in.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2019-01-30&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1548896767&j=86368301

Interesting... I just left Charter on account of them relocating my team's jobs to Stamford (nobody elected to move to Stamford, surprise surprise). Their preference, at least in my division, was to have everybody from the same function in the same city. In addition to the campus they occupy another building in between the campus and Forest Point and I think they still have a building in Ballantyne as well. I wonder if they'll be moving people over from Ballantyne?

Supposedly they're going to break ground on a new HQ building in Stamford in a year or two, though I wouldn't think that would affect things here much.

Industrial warehouse market in the Charlotte region remains red hot.  According to Colliers 4Q report over 4 Million sq ft of warehouse and flex space was absorbed in 2018 (office market is 1/4 of that)  Not as glamorous as I have said but job creators nonetheless.   And they are all over the region.

https://www2.colliers.com/en/Research/Charlotte/2018-Q4-Industrial-Charlotte-Report

• Like 4

Question for the experts out there: Anyone want to take a stab at estimating the number of jobs created in metro Charlotte last year from firms moving to the area? (e.g. Honeywell).

The number I really need is an average per year, ideally a net figure (firms leave as well) but I can work with just the total gain.

FWIW Moody's reports that the Charlotte metro added 33,500 jobs last year from all sources (expansion of existing firms, entrepreneurship and firms moving in to the region). I am guessing the net number of new arrival jobs is around 6,000 but its just a guess.

^^^ It is called excessive demand same thing happened  during the DNC and same thing will happen during RNC.  It is a rare event though in Charlotte.  Even Airbnb rentals are surging in prices I saw one that was in Tryon House that real old uptown apartment building on N Tryon for $250 a night!  

It is the same reason that July 4 at any Carolina beach costs more than 2nd week in January. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ It is called excessive demand same thing happened  during the DNC and same thing will happen during RNC.  It is a rare event though in Charlotte.  Even Airbnb rentals are surging in prices I saw one that was in Tryon House that real old uptown apartment building on N Tryon for $250 a night!  

It is the same reason that July 4 at any Carolina beach costs more than 2nd week in January. 

I heard on the radio that there will be $900k spent through Airbnb in Charlotte this weekend.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Italian owned machine tool company relocating its US headquarters from CT to Charlotte.  25 new jobs and hopefully demand for the CLT to Rome flight.

https://charlotteregion.com/news/2020/02/13/alliance-news/global-manufacturer-of-machine-tools-relocates-u.s.-headquarters-to-charlotte/

Their global HQ is in a suburb of Milan, about 6 hours north of Rome's airport (they are actually slightly closer to Munich). Corporate travel between Charlotte and Milan will likely be via one stop on Lufthansa through Munich.

• Like 1