The Good News Report

atlrvr

Just watched it...man with a budget of 750k, them being city folk, and working for one of the banks (probably Uptown), I have no idea why the realtor didn't show them something closer to uptown.  Plus to me, it seemed like she showed them older/renovation needed houses.  Idk, 750k can get you a pretty dang nice house in Charlotte, I didn't like her selection but (Heard house hunters is rigged anyways lol (buyers have already picked the house they want prior to what we see on the episode)).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Just watched it...man with a budget of 750k, them being city folk, and working for one of the banks (probably Uptown), I have no idea why the realtor didn't show them something closer to uptown.  Plus to me, it seemed like she showed them older/renovation needed houses.  Idk, 750k can get you a pretty dang nice house in Charlotte, I didn't like her selection but (Heard house hunters is rigged anyways lol (buyers have already picked the house they want prior to what we see on the episode)).  

Oh yes they basically have the houses already picked out and of course there is a lot acting on everyone's part in it.  it is interesting to see houses in other markets and around the world.  it is good entertainment.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Okay I just watched the first few minutes I don't like it.  "there are no subways, no buses"  really???  good airport to get out of it?  I am sorry this is somewhat of a typical response from a NYer about anyplace in the country outside of NYC.  (and I am not talking about  @ricky_davis_fan_21 as he is native Charlottean)   If the life in NYC is so good why didnt you quit your job and go work for someone else in NYC?   Don't care for slights against Charlotte and quite frankly I dont remember seeing that on other episodes.  

I’ve watched a lot of that show and that’s the most negative I’ve seen someone be about a new city.

0% surprised it came from someone moving from NYC

His husband seemed better and it was certainly his job that brought them here (bank security)

Edited by Bruco72
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Okay yes I will admit I did watch the whole thing the negative guy at the end tears up and said he changed his view of Charlotte.    Great skyline shots of the city but I still dont like how it got started.

Just now, kermit said:

^ I couldn’t figure out exactly where that house was (I think inner Myers Park) but if it really was ‘just 3 minutes to downtown’ then they got a hell of a bargain at $520.

I am wondering where too  and doing some research.   Usually people around here wont reduce that much but good for them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

My sister lost a house to the property brothers, apparently they put all three houses under contract for the show, it was basically their dream house. The same house was back on the market untouched 2 months later, but my sister had purchased a different house. 

And when we move back, it def won't be at banker budget, and will ONLY be intown.

23 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

They must have filmed this on like a Saturday or Sunday morning, there's no way Uptown was so dead during any other time of the week. Pretentious yankees, I swear. There was an episode of that show where they find a house for lottery winners, cant think of the name, but they were in Charlotte. They looked at some more *ahem* affordable properties, but were still able to settle on a nice modest suburban home, but the imagery of the city, and the representation was much better, some of the scenes where they talk with the host about the homes (similar to a love it or list it style show, except only one host) were filmed from the Fahrenheit patio, really showed the depth of our skyline, and anyone who doesn't know Charlotte would certainly be shocked.

Little talked about: notice that Charlotte was where their jobs were.

• Like 3

I didn't want to bring anyone's opinion down about the episode before watching it but yeah, it definitely irked me the way the one guy shat on Charlotte before even experiencing the city.

7 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I know where they bought this house.  it is in Wesley Heights and that might be why they got a better deal because in a Plaza Midwood or Myers Park or Dilworth the house would have been more money.  

Detective KJ on the case lol! I was going to see if I could locate it but didn't even know where to begin. I was wondering how on Earth such a cool house would go for so much less than asking price while being that close to uptown.

I was going to be livid if they didn't pick that second house. The other two were nice but too far away from everything and didn't have anywhere near that awesome character.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JRNYP2C said:

Only got 2 minutes into it and was completely put off by the condescending attitude - and I'm from PA!!!  Two words - GO BACK!!  I'm sure there are TONS of lucrative IT jobs in NYC.  Couldn't get past the first two minutes due to their attitudes.  Jeeze!

It didn’t help that they primed the pump with, “New Yorkers Deal With Culture Shock” ... followed by “no buses” ... “great airport.” But if you weathered that much, the show quickly gave way to dazzlement regarding bang-for-buck and “duh trees.”

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dale said:

But if you weathered that much, the show quickly gave way to dazzlement regarding bang-for-buck and “duh trees.”

This is the general gist of anyone new to the southeast from the northeast or west. It's nice to hear of these everyday things we take for granted be considered such a huge plus to others.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

This is the general gist of anyone new to the southeast from the northeast or west. It's nice to hear of these everyday things we take for granted be considered such a huge plus to others.

Of the myriad NY transplants I’ve met, they either like it here or they love it here.

• Like 3