Jump to content

atlrvr

The Good News Report

Recommended Posts


Here's the current NIH  funding in NC (number of grants and total funding $). For those who aren't familiar the NIH (National Institutes of Health) is the biggest funder of biomedical science in the US. They support about $25 billion/year in funding across all disciplines. 

 

APPALACHIAN STATE UNIVERSITY BOONE NC UNITED STATES 1 $395,561
DAVIDSON COLLEGE DAVIDSON NC UNITED STATES 2 $493,400
DUKE UNIVERSITY   NC UNITED STATES 9 $14,512,769
DUKE UNIVERSITY DURHAM NC UNITED STATES 690 $340,621,618
EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY GREENVILLE NC UNITED STATES 27 $7,541,347
ELIZABETH CITY STATE UNIVERSITY ELIZABETH CITY NC UNITED STATES 3 $779,798
FAYETTEVILLE STATE UNIVERSITY FAYETTEVILLE NC UNITED STATES 2 $429,273
NORTH CAROLINA AGRI & TECH ST UNIV GREENSBORO NC UNITED STATES 3 $1,427,772
NORTH CAROLINA CENTRAL UNIVERSITY DURHAM NC UNITED STATES 13 $5,427,834
NORTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY RALEIGH RALEIGH NC UNITED STATES 70 $18,263,949
SHAW UNIVERSITY RALEIGH NC UNITED STATES 3 $1,088,344
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT PEMBROKE PEMBROKE NC UNITED STATES 2 $344,131
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA CHAPEL HILL   NC UNITED STATES 6 $10,153,508
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA CHAPEL HILL CHAPEL HILL NC UNITED STATES 775 $339,454,388
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA CHARLOTTE CHARLOTTE NC UNITED STATES 5 $1,107,002
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA GREENSBORO GREENSBORO NC UNITED STATES 14 $4,569,406
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA WILMINGTON WILMINGTON NC UNITED STATES 2 $501,053
WAKE FOREST UNIVERSITY WINSTON-SALEM NC UNITED STATES 7 $2,345,707
WAKE FOREST UNIVERSITY   NC UNITED STATES 1 $1,091,880
WAKE FOREST UNIVERSITY HEALTH SCIENCES   NC UNITED STATES 7 $17,072,304
WAKE FOREST UNIVERSITY HEALTH SCIENCES WINSTON-SALEM NC UNITED STATES 220 $85,427,544
WINSTON-SALEM STATE UNIVERSITY WINSTON-SALEM NC UNITED STATES 6 $1,813,754
Edited by tiblerbrit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Wow, I am pleasantly surprised that Chapel Hill is within $10 million of the University of Southern New Jersey in Durham.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ Wow, I am pleasantly surprised that Chapel Hill is within $10 million of the University of Southern New Jersey in Durham.

And much of that funding for Duke was based on fraudulent research 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tiblerbrit said:

Here's the current NIH  funding in NC (number of grants and total funding $). For those who aren't familiar the NIH (National Institutes of Health) is the biggest funder of biomedical science in the US. They support about $25 billion/year in funding across all disciplines. 

 

APPALACHIAN STATE UNIVERSITY BOONE NC UNITED STATES 1 $395,561
DAVIDSON COLLEGE DAVIDSON NC UNITED STATES 2 $493,400
DUKE UNIVERSITY   NC UNITED STATES 9 $14,512,769
DUKE UNIVERSITY DURHAM NC UNITED STATES 690 $340,621,618
EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY GREENVILLE NC UNITED STATES 27 $7,541,347
ELIZABETH CITY STATE UNIVERSITY ELIZABETH CITY NC UNITED STATES 3 $779,798
FAYETTEVILLE STATE UNIVERSITY FAYETTEVILLE NC UNITED STATES 2 $429,273
NORTH CAROLINA AGRI & TECH ST UNIV GREENSBORO NC UNITED STATES 3 $1,427,772
NORTH CAROLINA CENTRAL UNIVERSITY DURHAM NC UNITED STATES 13 $5,427,834
NORTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY RALEIGH RALEIGH NC UNITED STATES 70 $18,263,949
SHAW UNIVERSITY RALEIGH NC UNITED STATES 3 $1,088,344
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT PEMBROKE PEMBROKE NC UNITED STATES 2 $344,131
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA CHAPEL HILL   NC UNITED STATES 6 $10,153,508
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA CHAPEL HILL CHAPEL HILL NC UNITED STATES 775 $339,454,388
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA CHARLOTTE CHARLOTTE NC UNITED STATES 5 $1,107,002
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA GREENSBORO GREENSBORO NC UNITED STATES 14 $4,569,406
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA WILMINGTON WILMINGTON NC UNITED STATES 2 $501,053
WAKE FOREST UNIVERSITY WINSTON-SALEM NC UNITED STATES 7 $2,345,707
WAKE FOREST UNIVERSITY   NC UNITED STATES 1 $1,091,880
WAKE FOREST UNIVERSITY HEALTH SCIENCES   NC UNITED STATES 7 $17,072,304
WAKE FOREST UNIVERSITY HEALTH SCIENCES WINSTON-SALEM NC UNITED STATES 220 $85,427,544
WINSTON-SALEM STATE UNIVERSITY WINSTON-SALEM NC UNITED STATES 6 $1,813,754

Those look like the 2011 number to me.

These are the 2019 numbers. (I could very well be wrong)

APPALACHIAN STATE UNIVERSITY BOONE NC UNITED STATES 1 $27,718
DAVIDSON COLLEGE DAVIDSON NC UNITED STATES 1 $68,472
DUKE UNIVERSITY DURHAM NC UNITED STATES 262 $119,849,064
EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY GREENVILLE NC UNITED STATES 7 $1,788,835
FAYETTEVILLE STATE UNIVERSITY FAYETTEVILLE NC UNITED STATES 1 $324,410
NORTH CAROLINA CENTRAL UNIVERSITY DURHAM NC UNITED STATES 6 $1,652,233
NORTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY RALEIGH RALEIGH NC UNITED STATES 27 $8,802,036
UNIV OF NORTH CAROLINA CHAPEL HILL CHAPEL HILL NC UNITED STATES 277 $138,751,686
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT PEMBROKE PEMBROKE NC UNITED STATES 1 $1
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA CHARLOTTE CHARLOTTE NC UNITED STATES 3 $906,401
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA GREENSBORO GREENSBORO NC UNITED STATES 8 $3,444,293
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA WILMINGTON WILMINGTON NC UNITED STATES 1 $446,934
WAKE FOREST UNIVERSITY WINSTON-SALEM NC UNITED STATES 1 $321,485
WAKE FOREST UNIVERSITY HEALTH SCIENCES WINSTON-SALEM NC UNITED STATES 63 $36,067,336
WINSTON-SALEM STATE UNIVERSITY WINSTON-SALEM NC UNITED STATES 1 $279,767

 

Its seems like the funding has gone down from all over the country, or I just put in the wrong criteria. 0_0

Edited by Ric0_0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ way down.

EDIT: OK, crossed the line with this one. My apologies.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

And much of that funding for Duke was based on fraudulent research 

Yeah, next thing you know they'll be offering fraudulent courses.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, kermit said:

^ Wow, I am pleasantly surprised that Chapel Hill is within $10 million of the University of Southern New Jersey in Durham.

It is mostly due to the added time the professors have at UNC.  Actually having to teach classes takes a lot of time away from research.

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, kermit said:

^ way down.

EDIT: OK, crossed the line with this one. My apologies.

No, it hasn't gone down that much. All the awards for 2019 haven't been given out yet. As a percent of GDP NIH funding has been dropping for years, but recently the budget has held steady in terms of total funds. Sorry to take things too far off topic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tiblerbrit said:

No, it hasn't gone down that much. All the awards for 2019 haven't been given out yet. As a percent of GDP NIH funding has been dropping for years, but recently the budget has held steady in terms of total funds. Sorry to take things too far off topic.

Fair, my experience has been field-specific at NSF — steady declines since 2010, particularly when taking into account massive increases in applications.

Edited by kermit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, KJHburg said:
On 4/17/2019 at 1:52 PM, KJHburg said:

In following up I read the Atlanta office market report.  In a market totally according to JLL 148,000,000 sq ft basically 3x the size of Charlotte's office market Atlanta only absorbed 507,000 sq ft less in raw numbers than Charlotte and only .3% of their space vs. 1.3% here in Charlotte.    Charlotte is the best performing office market in the south bar none and 2nd place would right up 85 the Raleigh Durham.  That is looking at the Florida markets, Atlanta, Nashville etc.  

I just read the JLL 1st Quarter 2019 report and Charlotte is the Third best office market in the country in terms of absorption of office space as a percentage of total inventory.  Charlotte is bested by only Silicon Valley and Fairfield County CT office markets.  Charlotte absorbed 1.3% of its total office space national average is .3%   Better than Nashville .1%, Austin .9% Raleigh Durham (close 1.2%)  Atlanta .3% NYC 0.0% Seattle .5%  etc.  

 https://www.us.jll.com/en/trends-and-insights/research/office-market-statistics-trends

Charlotte is just crushing it right now.  We need better transit, but this is just amazing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Desert Power said:

Charlotte is just crushing it right now.  We need better transit, but this is just amazing.

We are a fast growing city (one of the top 5 metros in the country), but I'm surprised the percentage isn't actually higher. Will there be a lag from the announcement of these HQs to a delayed bump in population in say 2020-22' or are the HQ announcements not enough for a noticeable growth change in an already growing city?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a growing city or region differing waypoints may be identified by cohorts or generations that associate leaps according to events of their own time. In my own time it was the decision of IBM to move a major research and manufacturing facility to the new Research Park area northeast of the city near UNCC. Noted here n the IBM archive:

"1978

June 28 -- IBM announces plans to build a development laboratory and manufacturing plant near Charlotte, N.C., to be operated by SCD. Built on 701 acres, the new facility will consolidate SCD's Industry Systems development activities then located in Endicott, Kingston and Los Gatos, and provide additional manufacturing capacity to meet growing demand. At the same time, IBM says that assembly and test operations for selected logic cards used primarily in SCD products will transfer from the System Products Division's Endicott facility to the Charlotte site."

This developed into a bank teller manufacturing facility and much else. When it began all of my age group knew that this was a marker in the growth of a newly vital city.  Our future success was assured, our decision to plant ourselves here reinforced. Charlotte population in 1978 was ~300,000.

Others of earlier and more recent periods will recall moments and announcements that in their memory mark an upward trajectory. This one above is mine.

What marker in your life and memory display a noted vitality of our city?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

 

What marker in your life and memory display a noted vitality of our city?

Mine was watching the Brookshire (Northwest) Freeway being dug and built while riding the long bus ride to First Ward Elementary around 1971.  We were actually getting a FREEWAY!  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.