The Good News Report

atlrvr

5 minutes ago, kermit said:

This. ( plus the move was 15 (?) years ago, no one really knew if 'the urban thing' was just a fad or not)

How much worse is traffic on 77 in North Meck now than it was in 2003?

How much worse is traffic on 77 in North Meck now that it is still two lanes?

There, I fixed that for you.

4 hours ago, kermit said:

This. ( plus the move was 15 (?) years ago, no one really knew if 'the urban thing' was just a fad or not)

How much worse is traffic on 77 in North Meck now than it was in 2003?

They wanted to be close to charlotte but in the middle of wilks and Charlotte. Mooresville gave them their own exits and infrastructure essentially.  Across the pond where the 4 mid-rises are master planned would make a fantastic addition. The higher-ups are really not too keen on urban as people may think. Company culture has shifted, but not there yet. Why would they move from their stunning campus? Has EVERYTHING and the food and services are pretty good. 

Edited by mpretori

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Well Charlotte and its skyline shined in a nationally televised show last night.  I am out of town with friends and you know how you watch and do different things that you might not do at home.  Well I watched for the first time ever "Married at First Sight" and this year the show is set in Charlotte.  I saw Legacy 1 tower, skyline repeatedly, the LYNX, one of the participants lived in the Avenue, another in First Ward, another in Southend and a couple in the suburbs.  They all got married at Alexander homeplace on Shamrock and N Sharon Amity.  the guys looked like they went to Belle Acres for their party.    So while we are talking about Truist bank and their new headquarters the rest of the country is watching evidently this show! 

https://nypost.com/2019/06/12/meet-the-married-at-first-sight-season-9-cast-including-the-first-virgin-bride-to-be/     NY Post

https://www.newsweek.com/who-elizabeth-bice-meet-married-first-sight-season-9-participant-marrying-jamie-thompson-1443663   Newsweek

https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/married-at-first-sight-season-9-trailer-4-charlotte-couples-wed/   US Magazine

https://people.com/tv/married-at-first-sight-season-9-cast-exclusive/   People Magazine

Hey I can admit I watched it for the Charlotte scenes of course.  I guess every Wednesday for the next few weeks.  The 8 people who participated are better representatives of Charlotte than any of the real housewives of insert any city.    Good news?    Charlotte shines in this show and it shows our newest buildings filmed evidently in winter or early spring here! 

They had it here again? They messaged me on instagram 2 or 3 years back asking if I would have interest in being on the show an wanted me to come in for an interview. I declined.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

from the sounds of it this is their first time to Charlotte they may have explored it before.   Had 50,000 people interested whittle it down to 1000 then 100 then 50 then 8.

Really the city shines through lots of skyline shots one girl lives in a high rise others in townhomes, apartments, houses.  

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 8:45 AM, KJHburg said:

from the sounds of it this is their first time to Charlotte they may have explored it before.   Had 50,000 people interested whittle it down to 1000 then 100 then 50 then 8.

Really the city shines through lots of skyline shots one girl lives in a high rise others in townhomes, apartments, houses.  

You are correct. The show I'm thinking of was called Married by Mom and Dad.

On 6/18/2019 at 9:46 PM, kermit said:

While this isn't in the category of traditional good news, it is nonetheless a really big deal. Transit is a large part of this, peculiarities of the finance sector are another.  It certainly suggests that more transit is a good idea. Full report is here: https://www.brookings.edu/research/where-jobs-are-concentrating-why-it-matters-to-cities-and-regions/

Some other interesting takeaways:

Other metro areas such as Austin, Charlotte, and Provo, Utah saw faster-than-average job growth but still saw job density increase less than expected as their jobs spread out.

Jobs spread out more which means less employment in the urban core

277962049_ScreenShot2019-06-19at11_53_29PM.thumb.png.2cede6ae2dd46cb63ddfc58d7cc89772.png

632798657_ScreenShot2019-06-19at11_59_06PM.thumb.png.e8bf74521c18abb7dff4c6f082a0672f.png

1919817344_ScreenShot2019-06-19at11_59_22PM.thumb.png.01d47e39b60230214109e222cac2dbe3.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2019 at 9:46 PM, kermit said:

While this isn't in the category of traditional good news, it is nonetheless a really big deal. Transit is a large part of this, peculiarities of the finance sector are another.  It certainly suggests that more transit is a good idea. Full report is here: https://www.brookings.edu/research/where-jobs-are-concentrating-why-it-matters-to-cities-and-regions/

Perhaps Nashville is an outlier. It has as close to zero transit as any of Charlotte’s peer cities. It has one sorely underused (and antiquated) commuter rail line. And the bus service is seeing crippling cuts. The transportation thread, on Nashville UP, is essentially a scooter thread.

26 minutes ago, Dale said:

Perhaps Nashville is an outlier. It has as close to zero transit as any of Charlotte’s peer cities. It has one sorely underused (and antiquated) commuter rail line. And the bus service is seeing crippling cuts. The transportation thread, on Nashville UP, is essentially a scooter thread.

This stunned me about Nashville. They had a very ambitious, perhaps too ambitious LR/BRT plan & it was overwhelmingly rejected. Idk if there’s a city in the US that seems to hate mass transit more than Nashville. 

At least CLT has a vision. Personally I suspect it will mostly come to fruition as BRT rather than LR but better than nothing

24 minutes ago, Muggsy01 said:

This stunned me about Nashville. They had a very ambitious, perhaps too ambitious LR/BRT plan & it was overwhelmingly rejected. Idk if there’s a city in the US that seems to hate mass transit more than Nashville. 

At least CLT has a vision. Personally I suspect it will mostly come to fruition as BRT rather than LR but better than nothing

Man, give us fancy comfortable, quiet busses that have great frequency, and official looking bus stops, and I think more people would be happier than they all think they would. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dale said:

OKC of course has a downtown streetcar system. Going forward, the mayor is pushing BRT. Rail purists are alarmed. But the mayor assures, “Yeah, But BRT feels like a train!”

I get he's saying that to appease rail purists but my attitude is, who cares if it *feels* like a train as long as it *functions* like a train i.e. with the same schedule reliability? You can't get that with an ordinary city bus but you definitely can with BRT. Plus as I alluded to, BRT acts like a try & buy for LR/Streetcars. If you really like it but feel a train would enhance, just fill in the BRT lanes with rail infrastructure later on. 

BRT is great if it has its own lanes and is designed so it does not get stuck in traffic. Unfortunately it’s not unusual to see BRT get morphed into a fancy bus that moves just as slowly as everybody else in traffic.

It also appears that developers get less excited by BRT than LRT — they don’t view it as permanent enough to justify speculative development. So while it’s certainly cheaper up front, in the long run BRT tends to be a fiscal drain (from a development perspective)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1