The Good News Report

atlrvr

On 6/27/2019 at 2:04 PM, CTiger said:

I'm already worried about how this area is going to handle this many more daily workers.  Light rail is already packed to the gills during rush hour and auto traffic is just as bad.  Add Portman and The Square and we have a debacle on our hands.

Hopefully most of these workers will be coming from Southend.

We could try higher train frequencies or actually expanding the stations to 3 cars....but we're just lucky to get semi-regular service from CATS at this point.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KJHburg said:

from a special tourism section from the Business Journal and I think their year runs from July 1 to June 30.  RECORD tourism year for Charlotte Mecklenburg in almost every category and record tax revenues from it.

My check marks mean record for the city county. 

CLTtourism.jpg

What's the overall opinion on when the RNC gets to town?  Do we believe we will see a fairly big jump in the revenue numbers with the new hotels that will be online by the time it gets here?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

2020 will be even better I would suspect.  Tourism dollars in Charlotte have been trended up and up for the last 5 years in Char Meck due to more hotels and higher rates and general great economy.   Business travel here is very strong and with more and more companies in town it generates even more.

Yeah I think RNC will be slightly higher than the All Star game. No ACC tourney might hurt a bit tho. With more available rooms, the occupancy rate could dip slightly. 

• Like 2

Very odd --- the Raleigh Chamber of Commerce reported (on May 29, 2019)  that Raleigh / Wake County had 14,000 new job creations. That doesn't include the Durham-Chapel-Hill MSA.  Don't think that the article first reported in the WS Journal, then in the Greensboro N&R, is correct.

• Like 1

I refer you to the WRAL Techwire summary reported on 05/29/19, as well as the Raleigh Chamber. It also ran in the Raleigh N&O if I am not mistaken.

If this area isn't creating more jobs than this "article" stated, then Raleigh-Durham wouldn't be building all of the stuff that's under construction or starting construction. Also wouldn't be pulling in the out of state developers from California, Boston, Washington DC, Baltimore etc. as well as local developer Kane. My office is 1 mile north of North Hills, and if that development is completely built out it will be a small city by itself. Kane leases everything that he proposes or builds.

Durham is building another Innovation District downtown:  1.7 million square feet with 15 acres, several sections of the Research Triangle Park are being redeveloped ---- former Glaxo property as one example. The start-up incubator system is not just focused on Durham and RTP, but also Raleigh. 

Even though this area is considered a "tech hub", it's main strength is being a major Life Sciences Hub.

One good thing about sprawl, which we do have, is that it's rapidly pushing  development / redevelopment back into downtown Raleigh & downtown Durham. Even though light rail is dead (I hope), Raleigh is already designing and will soon implement, several initial legs of BRT. This will gradually spread throughout the entire RTP over time.

If this "article" was correct, then most of the people moving to Wake and RTP would be "unemployed".  They come for jobs, and developers build because of job growth and population growth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last thing I wanted to mention -  you can get statistics from different sources and they not show the same things. 

The report by the City of Raleigh / Wake County states specific, actual significant job creations & announcements,  which can be easily verified.  Now it is possible that we are suddenly losing thousands of jobs, such as DMV moving to Rocky Mount, etc which would offset the new job creations. The article didn't address this.

The strongest thing that this area has going for it, in my opinion, is the small start-ups which can possibly become large successful companies, such as SAS, Red Hat, Cree, Quintiles, Pendo etc. This is a better strategy than trying to land the "big fish" LOL.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, SlackJack said:

The strongest thing that this area has going for it, in my opinion, is the small start-ups which can possibly become large successful companies, such as SAS, Red Hat, Cree, Quintiles, Pendo etc. This is a better strategy than trying to land the "big fish" LOL

LOL I think both areas are home to plenty of “big fish” and are currently trying to land more. Both areas also have lots of small start-ups which will hit it big too. Neither “city”  has a right or wrong strategy. They’re both right because they’re both killing it. 

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well it would not be the first time a paper has reported something wrong!  Charlotte and Raleigh Durham are adding 1000s of jobs while Greensboro and Winston Salem are growing but not as much as the Triangle and Charlotte.  However there is growth in all the metro areas in the state.    When I first read that I wondered about the Raleigh Durham numbers as they seemed low.  Everything I go to the Raleigh Durham area there is growth everywhere downtown, suburbs, traffic everywhere! 

• Like 4

No city in NC can beat Charlotte on building office building in its center city.  In the last year to the present Charlotte has had about 18 office building built, open, under construction , or pl;an.  It could be more, I do not have a list or lost count.

Edited by RiverwoodCLT
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RiverwoodCLT said:

No city in NC can beat Charlotte on building office building in its center city.  In the last year to the present Charlotte has had about 18 office building built, open, under construction , or pl;an.  It could be more, I do not have a list or lost count.

Sounds like no NC cities combined can hold a candle to CLY in this regard.

8 hours ago, RiverwoodCLT said:

Does anyone know how Charlotte’s Peer Cities compare in this regard?  (Jacksonville, Indy, Denver, Seattle)

39 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Does anyone know how Charlotte’s Peer Cities compare in this regard?  (Jacksonville, Indy, Denver, Seattle)

Seattle is more office. Denver probably has more residential but don't know about office. We have way more than Indy and jax combined if I had to guess.

• Like 2