The Good News Report

atlrvr

I guess this is good news report material?

Chase Bank has announced plans for a branch location in Cornelius. https://www.corneliustoday.com/following-the-money-chase-plans-to-build-a-branch-in-cornelius/?fbclid=IwAR1OXWtgOKNpkGqMLwldZQn1G3hIzSHuImg--RdDGdC5o7xR1d_m1u02Dpo

If what I see online is accurate, Atlanta is the next closest location for a Chase branch. I'm aware of at least one other possible-but-not-announced branch location in Charlotte that is, AFAIK, still confidential. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, EllAyyDub said:

I wonder if we know the same one, or if there are multiple in the planning stages?

The one I know is supposed to be going into a really high profile location that would be so much cooler as literally anything other than a bank branch.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

Literally if you just replaced even half of the banks in Uptown with national retailers we would have a shopping mecca. 

They  can't afford the rents no they can put most are aren't expanding rapidly.  Barneys in NY declaring bankruptcy due in part to their rent being doubled in the last few years.  And from what I understand Manhattan has a higher retail vacancy than in the past.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

Sooner or later these big developers are going to understand just having retail in their building is a nice amenity.  It's kind of like the Thirsty Beaver stuation where the surrounding development is utilizing it as a draw.  If I were a billionaire and could afford to build a 50 story spec building, I'd guarantee at least two solid floors of shopping, books, etc. even if it meant offering space for free..... in order to fill my building.

I agree many Charlotte property owners would rather get $0 per month than rent to a retailer or restaurant   at a less than market rate.  Charlotte is not unique in this Manhattan is the one of the biggest examples of this. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I agree many Charlotte property owners would rather get $0 per month than rent to a retailer or restaurant   at a less than market rate.  Charlotte is not unique in this Manhattan is the one of the biggest examples of this. 

Maybe it’s not even so much the property owner, rather, the lender. Lenders are very strict on ground leases. It effects the risk, underwriting, government regulations, a lot of these restaurants can’t even pay their rent for what the lender says the market price should be per sq. Ft. A lot of properties have retail/restaurant tenants as an amenity rather than a way to seek revenue. 

But it’s definitely not an easy process unless I guess a person owns the building. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Maybe it’s not even so much the property owner, rather, the lender. Lenders are very strict on ground leases. It effects the risk, underwriting, government regulations, a lot of these restaurants can’t even pay their rent for what the lender says the market price should be per sq. Ft. A lot of properties have retail/restaurant tenants as an amenity rather than a way to seek revenue. 

But it’s definitely not an easy process unless I guess a person owns the building. 

Isn't this a matter of the developer actually painting a clearer picture to the bankers?  Are bankers making these huge loans so restricted?

• 2 weeks later...

Carvana signed a deal for the old Phillip Morris plant, bringing 300 jobs with an average pay of $40,500. Unclear yet what the jobs will be, but maybe vehicle processing and inspection. Carvana will get financial incentives but the incentives are performance-based.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/08/16/carvana-proposes-35m-facility-300-plus-jobs-at.html

1 hour ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Carvana signed a deal for the old Phillip Morris plant, bringing 300 jobs with an average pay of $40,500. Unclear yet what the jobs will be, but maybe vehicle processing and inspection. Carvana will get financial incentives but the incentives are performance-based.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/08/16/carvana-proposes-35m-facility-300-plus-jobs-at.html

LOL. This was posted twice already.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, C85 said:

LOL. This was posted twice already.

Where? I did a search for "Carvana" and "Phillip Morris" in this topic and nothing recent came up.

Edit: Oh, I see. It was posted in other topics. I thought this was the one for major job announcements.

Edited by Madison Parkitect
  • Like 1