The Good News Report

atlrvr

18 hours ago, atlrvr said:

While this is little more than a Rorschach test response, dissatisfaction with growth in Nashville certainly appears (to me)  to correspond to their poor transit and land use choices.  I am sure others will see alternative explanations.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

On 10/25/2019 at 6:52 PM, mpretori said:

Really? I used to live in Cary and I never felt safer. You always have to watch your back in Charlotte. I enjoyed being able to go out at night and not have to worry as much.  Sure it's suburban, but i'll always weight safety higher. 

Maybe if you're involved in stuff that causes you to have to always watch your back. 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, krazeeboi said:

Stop being so dramatic; I never even implied such.

That sounds like a pretty random incident; nothing like that has happened to me in Charlotte or any of the major cities I've lived in or near, several of which have crime rates on par or higher than Charlotte (Atlanta, Philadelphia, DC). Random incidents do happen, but you're being sensational to say that everyone in Charlotte has to watch their back all the time based on what happened to your friend, which was quite unfortunate. 

Charlotte is a very safe city unless you are involved in certain activities. Of course there are exceptions, but the stats support what I'm saying. And, while there have been a spike in murders this year, those have been very predominantly in certain areas of town or confined to people in certain situations. The vast majority of us will never find ourselves in those circumstances. Just so no one says I'm saying anyone deserves to be killed...I'm certainly not. Those people were someone's son/daughter and perhaps husband/father or wife/mother. It's a tragedy, but it does not make Charlotte a dangerous city for the vast majority of us. To say otherwise is to misuse or just flat-out not understand what those statistics mean.

24 minutes ago, krazeeboi said:

Stop being so dramatic; I never even implied such.

That sounds like a pretty random incident; nothing like that has happened to me in Charlotte or any of the major cities I've lived in or near, several of which have crime rates on par or higher than Charlotte (Atlanta, Philadelphia, DC). Random incidents do happen, but you're being sensational to say that everyone in Charlotte has to watch their back all the time based on what happened to your friend, which was quite unfortunate. 

You said (below). You made a absolute remark and my friend does not have a criminal record or was in the high crime part of town. This wasn't the only friend of mine to have a knife pulled on him in the city.  I have to often guard myself or look over my shoulder more than when i'm here in Seattle. I'm sure Charlotte will get to be a safer city, but right now, I don't take my chances. Everyone has a right to protect themselves. Again, Charlotte is a great city :) 

2 hours ago, krazeeboi said:

Maybe if you're involved in stuff that causes you to have to always watch your back. 

Getting back to good news did we ever find out where Microsoft is going to put these 430 people in their existing 2 building campus off Arrowood or that recently completed 2 story new office building next door?

Press release from the EDPNC

https://edpnc.com/microsoft-to-invest-23-million-in-charlotte/

this is the new building next door I spoke of

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/7910-Microsoft-Way-Charlotte-NC/15609141/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Getting back to good news did we ever find out where Microsoft is going to put these 430 people in their existing 2 building campus off Arrowood or that recently completed 2 story new office building next door?

Press release from the EDPNC

https://edpnc.com/microsoft-to-invest-23-million-in-charlotte/

Hopefully they go near UNCC. Computer Science program is exploding there. Would be a surplus of talent waiting to be tapped. 

Edited by mpretori

^^^^ That was fantastic and I remember the north end of South Blvd before the term South End was coined by Tony Meca I think.   I used to go to Spaghetti Warehouse all the time with my friends and still frequent that spot now at Superica.     Kudos for Shook Kelly for that video!  

• Like 3

Industrial warehouse and flex market remains very strong according to the latest Cushman report.

http://www.cushmanwakefield.com/en/research-and-insight/unitedstates/charlotte-industrial-snapshot/   download here for your copy

and with all the talk of Amazon and their new warehouses Walmart leased 180,000 sq across the street from Amazon's Concord sortation center.

Warehouse market is 174 million sq ft (compared to 53 M for office space) and the vacancy is 6.6% and the market has absorbed 2.7 M sq in the last year.  

• Like 3

On 10/28/2019 at 9:48 PM, KJHburg said:

^^^^ That was fantastic and I remember the north end of South Blvd before the term South End was coined by Tony Meca I think.   I used to go to Spaghetti Warehouse all the time with my friends and still frequent that spot now at Superica.     Kudos for Shook Kelly for that video!  

If memory serves me, didn’t the SW have a train or trolley car inside that you could dine in? I remembered it being a pretty cool place with just  “kind of ok” Italian food. :rolleyes:

Edited by A2.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, A2. said:

If memory serves me, didn’t the SW have a train or trolley car inside that you could dine in? I remembered it being a pretty cool place with just  “kind of ok” Italian food. :rolleyes:

Your memory is correct on both fronts the trolley car inside and food was okay but it was an EDGY part of town with ample on street parking nearby and I went there a LOT!  and the dinner was not that expensive. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Your memory is correct on both fronts the trolley car inside and food was okay but it was in and EDGY part of town with ample on street parking nearby and I went there a LOT! 

Ah, but of course, it was the “edgy” part of town.  And you are definitely correct on the parking. Ample space back in the day. 

Thanks for confirming that KJ! :good:

Edited by A2.
  • Haha 1

There was, indeed, a trolley car in the Spaghetti Warehouse. It was installed during the renovation and reconstruction. After the restaurant closed there was an auction of all the decorative elements. Some were bought by decorator suppliers and restaurant suppliers. The rail car was a special item. I was with the car 85 trolley volunteer operation at the time and we hoped someone could buy it and donate to us for display. A man from elsewhere made a bid that was accepted for the rail car. He then discovered that to remove it would require a crane and roof opening and his low-ball offer became a frightening expense, far beyond his plan. I remember talking about it at the time and, sadly, cannot recall what the outcome was. It disappeared, somehow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2