Jump to content

atlrvr

The Good News Report

Recommended Posts


Charlotte is the #10 largest metro in the country in terms of building residential units (SF homes and apartments) ahead of bigger metros like Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis, and just behind Seattle. 

From the Houston #1 largest Business Journal

Check out the photo gallery of the largest metros

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/12/10/houston-no-1-in-u-s-for-residential-construction.html

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Dale said:

Basically, in the safest third of cities. But doesn’t accord with the perception of CLT as murder city.

I would hope so, because that's why it's in the GOOD NEWS thread :tw_smiley:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2018 Gross domestic product (GDP) MSA, $billions: (Top 50)

1. New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA- 1,772,319,824
2. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA- 1,047,661,346
3. Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI- 689,464,744
4. San Francisco-Oakland-Berkeley, CA- 548,613,361
5. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV- 540,684,444
6. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX- 512,509,778
7. Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX- 478,778,576
8. Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH- 463,570,556
9. Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD- 444,148,100
10. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta, GA- 397,261,292
11. Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA- 392,036,945
12. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL- 354,740,098
13. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA- 331,020,137
14. Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, MI- 267,731,067
15. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI- 263,690,946
16. Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler, AZ- 255,211,769
17. San Diego-Chula Vista-Carlsbad, CA- 245,138,815
18. Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO- 214,157,605
19. Baltimore-Columbia-Towson, MD- 205,313,937
20. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA- 187,109,114
21. Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC- 169,862,912
22. St. Louis, MO-IL- 169,839,353
23. Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA- 164,419,551
24. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL- 159,002,758
25. Pittsburgh, PA- 152,840,999

26. Austin-Round Rock-Georgetown, TX- 146,784,519
27. Sacramento-Roseville-Folsom, CA- 145,479,978
28. Cincinnati, OH-KY-IN- 141,052,659
29. Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN- 140,762,237
30. Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL- 138,947,819
31. Cleveland-Elyria, OH- 134,369,570
32. San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX- 133,633,572
33. Kansas City, MO-KS 132,703,700
34. Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro--Franklin, TN- 132,202,284
35. Columbus, OH- 129,328,017
36. Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise, NV- 122,423,873
37. Milwaukee-Waukesha, WI- 103,731,937
38. Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC- 100,976,295
39.Hartford-East Hartford-Middletown, CT- 99,465,315
40. Salt Lake City, UT- 94,306,889
41.Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT- 89,387,658
42. Providence-Warwick, RI-MA- 87,414,900
43.Richmond, VA- 85,792,587
44. Raleigh-Cary, NC- 83,665,937
45.Jacksonville, FL- 83,186,521
46.Oklahoma City, OK- 81,016,823
47. New Orleans-Metairie, LA- 80,287,397
48. Memphis, TN-MS-AR- 76,749,486
49. Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN- 72,093,890
50. Urban Honolulu, HI- 69,252,343

Via the resident09 on CD

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/3110148-12-12-19-2018-gdp-metro-5.html

Edited by Ric0_0
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

NC is named Best state in America for Business for the third year in a row by Forbes magazine.  and they used a fairly up to date photo of Charlotte with the BOAT at Legacy in it. 

https://edpnc.com/north-carolina-named-best-state-for-business/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samanthasharf/2019/12/19/the-best-states-for-business-2019-north-carolina-and-texas-utah-on-top/#4cc6987541f7

Two things kind of annoy me about this Forbes article (and most of their trash click-bait web stuff):

1.) North Carolina got #1 but the first five paragraphs are all about #2 Texas and essentially sells you on "Why Texas"

2.) The caption for the photo of Charlotte is for industries that aren't really the biggest economic drivers in the state: "North Carolina has also seen an influx of tech giants. Amazon is opening $200 million distribution centers in Charlotte (pictured) and Garner. Apple is expanding a data center in the state."

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charlotte and both Raleigh and Durham metro areas in the top 10 outperforming metro areas in the country and look at the out of state markets people are moving from for they are very similar in all the NC metros.

https://www.nar.realtor/sites/default/files/documents/2019-top-10-outperforming-markets-report-graphic.pdf

Merry Christmas!  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2019 at 12:49 PM, KJHburg said:

NC is named Best state in America for Business for the third year in a row by Forbes magazine.  and they used a fairly up to date photo of Charlotte with the BOAT at Legacy in it. 

https://edpnc.com/north-carolina-named-best-state-for-business/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samanthasharf/2019/12/19/the-best-states-for-business-2019-north-carolina-and-texas-utah-on-top/#4cc6987541f7

 

In -migration for NC is 93,500; Georgia is 73,000.  At that pace, we could overtake Georgia in about 7 years.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/25/2019 at 7:43 PM, KJHburg said:

Charlotte and both Raleigh and Durham metro areas in the top 10 outperforming metro areas in the country and look at the out of state markets people are moving from for they are very similar in all the NC metros.

https://www.nar.realtor/sites/default/files/documents/2019-top-10-outperforming-markets-report-graphic.pdf

Merry Christmas!  

Amazing actually -- multiple centers of growth.  No other state has 3.  Make it 4 MSAs in the Carolinas, with the addition of Charleston.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have already said outside of Texas and maybe Florida NC is blessed to have 2 of the fastest growing metro areas (3 if you count Durham separately as the Feds do) as you noted most surrounding states are 1 horse engines. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2019 at 6:36 PM, Ric0_0 said:

2018 Gross domestic product (GDP) MSA, $billions: (Top 50)

1. New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA- 1,772,319,824
2. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA- 1,047,661,346
3. Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI- 689,464,744
4. San Francisco-Oakland-Berkeley, CA- 548,613,361
5. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV- 540,684,444
6. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX- 512,509,778
7. Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX- 478,778,576
8. Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH- 463,570,556
9. Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD- 444,148,100
10. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta, GA- 397,261,292
11. Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA- 392,036,945
12. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL- 354,740,098
13. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA- 331,020,137
14. Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, MI- 267,731,067
15. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI- 263,690,946
16. Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler, AZ- 255,211,769
17. San Diego-Chula Vista-Carlsbad, CA- 245,138,815
18. Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO- 214,157,605
19. Baltimore-Columbia-Towson, MD- 205,313,937
20. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA- 187,109,114
21. Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC- 169,862,912
22. St. Louis, MO-IL- 169,839,353
23. Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA- 164,419,551
24. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL- 159,002,758
25. Pittsburgh, PA- 152,840,999

26. Austin-Round Rock-Georgetown, TX- 146,784,519
27. Sacramento-Roseville-Folsom, CA- 145,479,978
28. Cincinnati, OH-KY-IN- 141,052,659
29. Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN- 140,762,237
30. Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL- 138,947,819

31. Raleigh-Durham, NC - 138,525,022

31. Cleveland-Elyria, OH- 134,369,570
32. San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX- 133,633,572
33. Kansas City, MO-KS 132,703,700
34. Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro--Franklin, TN- 132,202,284
35. Columbus, OH- 129,328,017
36. Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise, NV- 122,423,873
37. Milwaukee-Waukesha, WI- 103,731,937
38. Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC- 100,976,295
39.Hartford-East Hartford-Middletown, CT- 99,465,315
40. Salt Lake City, UT- 94,306,889
41.Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT- 89,387,658
42. Providence-Warwick, RI-MA- 87,414,900
43.Richmond, VA- 85,792,587

45.Jacksonville, FL- 83,186,521
46.Oklahoma City, OK- 81,016,823
47. New Orleans-Metairie, LA- 80,287,397
48. Memphis, TN-MS-AR- 76,749,486
49. Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN- 72,093,890
50. Urban Honolulu, HI- 69,252,343

Via the resident09 on CD

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/3110148-12-12-19-2018-gdp-metro-5.html

Not exactly apples and apples.  Some of these are MSA's and some are CMSA's.  For example, Dallas-Fort Worth is a CMSA.  If all the CMSA's were included, like Dallas-Forth Worth, it would change things...note:  Raleigh-Durham.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

good story from CLT Development in the Charlotte Ledger about the last decade in Charlotte.   I remember those dark times when the banks and other companies were laying off thousands.   Construction both residential and commercial came to a standstill.  Traffic lightened.  But you know what?  Tough times never last but tough people do.  City leaders went to work to diversify the economy more than the 2 large banks (succeeded in that front)  people laid off started new ventures and companies.  Many instances of that where new companies or branches of larger companies came into being in Charlotte after this time.  I remember asking my good friend (way before I was ever on UP) will it take 10 years to get another high rise uptown?  

During those dark days in 2009 a plane crash happened  in the Hudson River and  I think changed the psyche of Charlotte.  When the Miracle on the Hudson US Air flight 1549 those Charlotte bound passengers from NYC mostly locals all survived.  It gave the city hope I really do believe that and showed other things like life are a lot more important than money and material things.  So many bank execs and CEO of Red Ventures were on that flight. 

Then just as the spring always comes things began to thaw.  First high rise announced post real estate crash recession was the 300 South Tryon Barings building. No wonder i love that building as it brought hope.   and the rest as they say is history.   Charlotte really did rise to the occasion when hit with some big economic jolts in late 2008/2009.   You are living in the best times in Charlotte economically right now.  

https://charlotteledger.substack.com/p/the-4-factors-that-fueled-charlottes

Yeah, I never really think about how that Hudson River crash would have affected Charlotte if everyone had died. I bet it sets our city back a lot.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

As a homeowner in the largest and most robust market in the United States I'm very confused why New York City isn't on here.

image.thumb.png.4bdfcd6e0a7e003de039df8f55dc2da0.png

“Southern” markets?

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.