The Good News Report

atlrvr

from another part of NC but good news nonetheless for the state, nation and possibly the world.

Triangle firm (Morrisville)  on front lines for vaccine and test for the virus.  From the subscriber TBJ article.

""Already working on a vaccine for COVID-19, a Triangle drugmaker now says that it is developing a test for the disease that that will produce results in 30 minutes.  Morrisville-based Heat Biologics (Nasdaq: HTBX) has announced a collaboration with the University of Miami to develop a point-of-care diagnostic test for COVID-19, a potential solution to the ongoing national struggle for better testing and surveillance of the pandemic.  Heat had previously announced that it was working on developing a coronavirus vaccine in partnership with the university.   "We have a close collaboration with the university of Miami and they are leaders in the creation of these bio-assay tests," Heat Biologics CEO Jeff Wolf says. "The idea was to really leverage the work that we're doing with COVID-19 in the vaccine space into the diagnostic space."""

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/03/23/morrisville-firm-developing-coronavirus-test-that.html

https://www.heatbio.com/news-media/news-releases

• Like 4

10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Truist Bank giving all employees who make under 100K $1200 bonuses next week and 45,000 employees are eligible including many in Charlotte area of course.  and even better no layoffs. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/03/20/charlottes-truist-financial-grants-employee.html

WFC doing 600 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

My Dearest Martha,

Ignominious chaos today on the bartering floor: whiskey rations have run out and sojourns to that vineyard bearing your most beautiful name  have been forbidden; I fear there are not enough fake accounts in all the land to  assuage  our need to eat foods that may not always be whole.  After the battle of Breitbart and the Bowling Green Massacre it was my deepest hope that we had stuggit to the libs, yet they persist in spreading habitual prevarications  about a disease that is easily defeated by essential oils.   Nevertheless,  out of an abundance of caution, I implore you to send chloroquine and gypsy tears that I may maintain the strength to  add pet insurance and legal services to customer accounts, that we may never leave Quail Hollow again.

I remain,

Douchebro

Cool story bro. In all honesty, Wells could do better, but give 170,000 employees a 600 bonus is nice, considering no layoffs and most of those are working from home. (The bonus is going to employees making under 100,000. Wells has over 100,000 employees making 6 figures).

On top of that an extra 400 or more a month for frontline employees is also pretty nice. Could it be better, yes, but the government has said banks are an essential service. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

So many companies are offering bonuses and increase in pay. Really great to see the private sector stepping up.

This too shall pass and mostly it's bonuses not pay increases. Besides a few bank bonuses to those making <$100k, what other bonuses and pay increases have happened?

@Matthew.Brendan it might be tough to know for certain, but it sounds like your vendor might be skimming the 20%.  I seriously doubt WF has reduced pay rates to contract companies by 20%.  It does seem likely they are putting a hold on new engagements, which could be telegraphed as furloughs.  Curious if other contractors with different vendors to WF told same thing.

• Like 3

Both are needed. For instance, when firemen and paramedics respond to possible covid19 patients, the regular surgical masks go on the patient to help stop particulates. The first responders will wear the N95's for their protection. This may not be the case once they reach the hospital but it is on the prehospital side. Like you said, the N95 masks are needed more, but there still is a big need for the regular masks. 
PSA: Please, please, please don't hoard the N95 masks. They currently are being rationed by health care facilities and first responder agencies because of supply. Please follow CDC regulations on exposure risk, they will work if we follow them. 

There will always be someone who do not know they are ill, or do not want to accept they are ill etc. So let everyone wear regular mask will be a good strategy. It does not protect you directly, but by stopping droplets from everyone else.
However, there won't be so much surgical masks to begin with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Grifols a Spanish company with a huge new plant in NC is working on treatment for the virus.

https://www.heraldsun.com/news/coronavirus/article241517931.html

and when this virus passes and it will pass NC in my opinion is in great shape to attract even more pharmaceutical plants and I think everyone realizes the problems with having your essential medicines produced outside the country.  I predict NC and Puerto Rico will gain many plantsclustered here  (PR because they have some existing plants due to a now expired law that encourage pharma plants there, low cost operations and access fully to US)    NC has many plants especially in the Triangle area and points east like in Greenville, Sanford, Rocky Mt, Wilson etc.   Even the Charlotte area has some plants in Monroe, Hickory etc.  

https://www.nccommerce.com/business/key-industries-north-carolina/biotechnology-pharmaceuticals    60,000 bio pharma employees in NC now

https://www.mybiotechcareer.com/Biotechnology-Companies-Pharmaceutical-North-Carolina-NC-US

https://biopharmguy.com/links/state-nc-all-geo.php

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Here is some good news Sunday is coming. 

Even though churches like this one in Elizabeth are closed to in person worship services you can't keep the faithful from celebrating on Sunday.  Tomorrow is the most important day in the Christian faith even more so than Christmas day.   The entire basis of the Christian faith is because of what is celebrated this day. Go to John 19 to read about it or read that whole book. Or watch someone like Pastor Joseph Prince from Singapore on his Youtube channel (he talks a lot about the coronavirus as Singapore was hit way before US) Or someone like Greg Laurie from Harvest. Or you local church.  This is the seaon of hope even during a pandemic.  I will not like this virus steal my joy of living this spring.  I will take precautions but I will not give up on hope.  It is like being a long bridge in foggy weather.  You know the bridge is open and clear to the other end however you can not see it.  You must slow down like we are doing right now to reach the other side.   However we WILL reach the other side of this virus.  It will NOT go on forever and I truly believe the peak in the USA is past and we are on the downhill slide.  (and the Univ. of Washington models are saying that)   When people ask me about this season years from now I am going to tell their about the widespread fear and hopelessness I have see as well as the deaths.  Better days are ahead I know it.

PS   Happy Passover to my Jewish friends.  Joshua 1.9 

IMG_6212.JPG

Not to troll you or be technical but Orthodox Easter is next Sunday.  Us Orthodox people celebrate Palm Sunday this Sunday. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

Not to troll you or be technical but Orthodox Easter is next Sunday.  Us Orthodox people celebrate Palm Sunday this Sunday. :)

I know I always have to ask my Greek friends when it is.  Καλή Κυριακή των Βαΐων

• Like 4