The Good News Report

atlrvr

4 hours ago, Robbie Charlotte said:

I've assumed the medical school site will be in Midtown.  Is that far from a given?  Any chance this might end up in the suburbs, or will this be in center city?

It will almost certainly be adjacent to the CMC main campus, most likely near East and Kenilworth (near Starbucks). The Dilworth thread has the land acquisition and developer hiring  receipts on that location.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, norm21499 said:

Isn't Krispy Kreme still technically based in Winston even though the C suite is in Charlotte?

Yes the corporate jobs are in Charlotte but most of the other jobs are in Winston including customer support and IT. 

In terms of this merger between Atrium and WFU Baptist I think Winston will do just fine.  as their infrastructure there is not something easily moved if it could ever be.  Since WF turns down so many applicants to their med school if Charlotte is more popular they will cap it and I doubt someone will say I wont go to Winston for med school since they will be able to work and do residency in either city or any Atrium hospital. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, nicholas said:
21 hours ago, kermit said:

man o man, will the last company to leave Winston please turn off the lights.

Ouch.

I feel bad for Winston Salem.  Such an underrated city with so much potential, but....Charlotte keeps poaching its major employers, and most of the new development in the Triad seems to be going to Greensboro.

Really not too far from Charlotte, would be great to have a regional rail network fast enough to connect these cities for commuting.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, elrodvt said:

I wonder how long it takes to get a medical school up and running? 

@elrodvt It looks like residencies will begin in spring 2021, the school itself would probably take 18 months to get out of the ground. I am assuming they are going to want to have professors who are top tier to match the current school so hiring might take a while. I expect a fully operational campus by 2023. 

I would also expect this to spawn schools of nursing, schools of PT/OT, a PA school, etc, over the years. 

I believe Atriums true goal is to compete and/or beat Duke Health. They were trying to do this with the UNC/Carolina Health merger a few years back. Duke Health has to be worried competing with UNC on its home turf, and now surrounded by Novant and Atrium on both sides who will want to expand into the Raleigh market. Their strategic partnership with Wake Med may turn into an absorption of Wake Med to compete. 

Edited by Blue_Devil
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

What line is this?

The diagram was for an economic development proposal to yolk together our educational institutions (an RTP 2.0)  that went nowhere back in 2012. Interestingly one of the goals of the proposed rail system was to link a Charlotte medical school  to WFU facilities in Winston.

The green line is the existing route of the Amtrak Piedmont and Carolinian with some additional stations added, mostly for higher-ed access. The Winston triangle (in blue) does not currently have passenger rail service but it follows existing freight tracks that are underutilized. Other than the Lexington Junction, no new right of way would be required for this service pattern to exist (but the Winston segment would require lots of  track upgrades to get speeds to a reasonable level).

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

@elrodvt It looks like residencies will begin in spring 2021, the school itself would probably take 18 months to get out of the ground. I am assuming they are going to want to have professors who are top tier to match the current school so hiring might take a while. I expect a fully operational campus by 2023. 

I would also expect this to spawn schools of nursing, schools of PT/OT, a PA school, etc, over the years. 

I believe Atriums true goal is to compete and/or beat Duke Health. They were trying to do this with the UNC/Carolina Health merger a few years back. Duke Health has to be worried competing with UNC on its home turf, and now surrounded by Novant and Atrium on both sides who will want to expand into the Raleigh market. Their strategic partnership with Wake Med may turn into an absorption of Wake Med to compete. 

It will be interesting to see if this turns out to be just another “Charlotte School of Law” situation. Health care organizations generally, and particularly medical schools (or branches) don’t operate under free market principals. Can’t buy your way into success. Very regulated.

Healthcare in the Triangle area is dominated primarily by UNC Health and Duke Health; is known to be intensely difficult for outside organizations to enter this market because of this. Novant has tried unsuccessfully for years.  Kaiser Permanente also tried and failed. Other than Wake Med, UNC and Duke own the area hospitals and physician practices. Both Duke and UNC are world renown Tier 1 research universities with very highly rated medical schools and teaching hospitals. In addition to competing with one another, they also occasionally collaborate as they are located  only 11 miles apart from each other.

Wake Forest is a wonderful organization, but not a Tier 1 institution.

9 hours ago, SlackJack said:

It will be interesting to see if this turns out to be just another “Charlotte School of Law” situation. Health care organizations generally, and particularly medical schools (or branches) don’t operate under free market principals. Can’t buy your way into success. Very regulated.

Healthcare in the Triangle area is dominated primarily by UNC Health and Duke Health; is known to be intensely difficult for outside organizations to enter this market because of this. Novant has tried unsuccessfully for years.  Kaiser Permanente also tried and failed. Other than Wake Med, UNC and Duke own the area hospitals and physician practices. Both Duke and UNC are world renown Tier 1 research universities with very highly rated medical schools and teaching hospitals. In addition to competing with one another, they also occasionally collaborate as they are located  only 11 miles apart from each other.

Wake Forest is a wonderful organization, but not a Tier 1 institution.

I mean, while Wake Med isn't ranked as high as Duke (#12 in research, #26 in primary care) or UNC (#23 in research, #1 in primary care, First Place!!) they are no slouch (#52 in research, #68 in primary care). 

I don't think people realize how bad Charlotte school of law was at the end. Literally the worst ranked school out of 193 schools. and at time 0% bar passage rates. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

I mean, while Wake Med isn't ranked as high as Duke (#12 in research, #26 in primary care) or UNC (#23 in research, #1 in primary care, First Place!!) they are no slouch (#52 in research, #68 in primary care). 

I don't think people realize how bad Charlotte school of law was at the end. Literally the worst ranked school out of 193 schools. and at time 0% bar passage rates. 

WFU Med school accepts only 3% thus rejecting 97% of applicants from 27 states.  Seems very selective to me and has lots of room for growth for the new campus here in Charlotte. 

https://school.wakehealth.edu/Education-and-Training/MD-Program/Current-Class-Profile

who should start a law school program here and could do so at much less cost and still have prestige is again Wake Forest which already has a MBA program here.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

WFU Med school accepts only 3% thus rejecting 97% of applicants from 27 states.  Seems very selective to me and has lots of room for growth for the new campus here in Charlotte. 

https://school.wakehealth.edu/Education-and-Training/MD-Program/Current-Class-Profile

who should start a law school program here and could do so at much less cost and still have prestige is again Wake Forest which already has a MBA program here.  

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Wake Forest Law program here in the next 5-10 years. It is the largest city with out a school. There is a underserved need. 

• Like 2

Would it be fair to think of this initiative as building academic prestige and renown from scratch?  No history to point to, no track record, no discoveries, no patents, no famous benefactors...

are we generations from realizing a bit of the touted promise of this transaction?

Edited by Robbie Charlotte

^ From a faculty hiring perspective the WFU Charlotte campus will be much better than starting from scratch (although not as good as being WFU itself). If WFU shows it is serious about providing resources and sharing its institutional heft with the branch campus, then it won’t take long (e.g. 3-5 years after opening)  for the Charlotte campus to become just as an attractive place to for research stars to work as the main campus. 

Hiring quality determines the flow of grant money and (for better or worse) grant money is the primary metric used to assess med school quality (says this non-MD). If the stars align then the WFU Charlotte campus can be equal in prestige to the Winston campus in less than a decade. Alternatively, if Wake is stingy w funding then our branch campus will bump along as the “Metrolina school of drugs and sharp things” for all of eternity.

Honestly I think the WFU branch campus has way better odds of strong success than a UNC System branch would have had.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

Not at all suggesting this, just sayin' that in my memory Wake Forest* U. was not in Winston Salem. (It will not move from W-S.)

Side note: When I was young UNC-CH (Then UNC) was open to white men only. Women had strict admission and enrollment limits and UNC did not desegregate until the mid 1950's. Not so long ago.

*Royal Governor William Tryon, 1765-1771, married a wealthy woman named Wake. Charlotte and Mecklenburg had already claimed favor of the king of England with naming so the county of Wake was thus born.

6 hours ago, Robbie Charlotte said:

Would it be fair to think of this initiative as building academic prestige and renown from scratch?  No history to point to, no track record, no discoveries, no patents, no famous benefactors...

are we generations from realizing a bit of the touted promise of this transaction?

I think Wake Forest School of Medicine has prestige as does their law school.  As a UNC Charlotte ECU graduate I know there is no chance of a state funded law school or med school in this city.  So this is the best option until a smaller university like Queens started a law school but it would be so easy for Wake to open a branch here and shuttle faculty back and forth to teach. 

Charlotte is having to take some short cuts now partnering with another city's university because we have been short changed in state funding.   But in the end it will be great for Charlotte this Wake medical school.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

good news if you are a seller of residential property in the region not as good if you are a buyer.  Most people taking several months to find homes so start early. 

Wow, some of those numbers are crazy. Not likely to get better quickly, as some building materials like wood and PVC are through the roof in cost right now. The cost of new homes is up several thousand dollars for that reason alone. 

Charlotte is both on the top 25 list of places to live and to retire.  Being on both lists shows how desirable it is to live in the Charlotte region.  On the retirement side I would say these factors close to the mountains and the ocean with the negatives of both (cold, snow, hurricanes, higher insurance rates) and great health care and moderate cost of living. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/10/13/charlotte-among-best-places-to-live-in-new-ranking.html

• Like 3