The Good News Report

atlrvr

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

^^ I agree that is why I publicized it a bit but some Charlotte developers should really jump on this.  How about Crescent and their garage at the Ally Bank Center?  the Ascent promised this and they can still do it with this company's help.  and Orlando while warmer than Charlotte is not tropical and there are plants suited for each climatic zone.  

How much maintenance does something like that take?

4 hours ago, Robbie Charlotte said:

Any way the city can incentivize this to get done...and it's a local company...

The city has several grant programs for targeted investments that are structured as approved expense sharing agreements (50/50 splits up to certain limits). They are all too small to work for large scale projects like this, but the city if it was a priority could offer a similar program targeting garage screenings.  Would argue that burying power lines would be better program if we are prioritizing incentive subsidies.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Desert Power said:

How much maintenance does something like that take?

here is what the company says about it on their webpage

LivePanel System for Any Indoor or Outdoor Space (suiteplants.com)

I am not even looking for these green walls but there are everywhere in Miami most times covering garages.   The good news for Charlotte would be if some Charlotte developers would use this locally based firm to hide their garages the green way.   Photos from Miami 

IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

• Like 4

CBRE releases Inaugural Development index for 2021 and Charlotte makes the top 10.  (Nashville is not in the top 10 but Raleigh is)  Again only Texas and NC have 2 or more cities represented. 

""The Top 10 overall markets in CBRE’s inaugural Development Opportunity Index are: 1) Atlanta with a score of 83.81; 2) Dallas, 83.04; 3) Phoenix, 82.94; 4) Orlando, Fla., 82.06; 5) Seattle, 81.11; 6) Denver, 81.08; 7) Raleigh, N.C., 80.88; 8) Houston, 80.74; 9) Austin, Texas, 80.61; and 10) Charlotte, N.C., 79.49.""

you can download the full report here

U.S. Development Opportunities 2021 | CBRE

• Like 4

Charlotte metro industrial and warehouse market absorbed over 5 MILLION sq ft making this the best assest class in the commercial real estate market in the past year. 

Check it out the report and Cabarrus County and Iredell have become major players.  In fact Walmart leased1 Million sq ft in Iredell late last year. 

here is the report from Avison Young and Amazon has lesaed 1 M sq ft this year and FedEx leased 640,xxx sq ft in Charlotte's Metrolina Business Park. 

https://www.avisonyoung.us/documents/91114/0/CLT+Industrial+-+4Q20.pdf/d397cd71-e830-4eda-ba41-048bec33eeca?t=43443799

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

from the Cushman and Wakefield office report states that Old Republic Home Protection  leased 69,546 sq ft in the University Research Park on Louis Rose Place.  That is the whole building and that must mean some jobs but have not heard anything about it. Old Republic is based in San Ramon CA

download their report here and overall very similar to the JLL market report on the status of the office market.

Charlotte MarketBeats | United States | Cushman & Wakefield

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 6:58 PM, KJHburg said:

from twitter tonight and very interesting.....

SEEN:   @Lionsgate
films is currently scouting out locations for a feature film to be shot in Charlotte, NC. The movie will be set in the 1970’s in New York City.

So. that's where we are now?  1970s NY?  I remember my dad taking me through Times Square about that time. Ugh. ;-)

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, atl2clt said:

This is great. And it also feels right. I'm dubious of the recent report by the Milken Institute that dropped Charlotte 10 spots year-over-year for economic performance. There is too much economic development happening on the ground for me to suspect that this city is somehow losing clout on a national scale. Per the Milken Institute, I refuse to accept the contention that Kennewick, WA (for example) jumped 50 spots from 2020 to 2021, surpassing Charlotte and Atlanta in economic performance. The Milken report also ranks Atlanta as the #21 city in economic performance, despite the fact that Atlanta recently announced expansions by Microsoft, Airbnb and Google.  Any metrics that Milken is using clearly paint an incomplete picture. 

Full Milken Institute report available here: https://milkeninstitute.org/sites/default/files/reports-pdf/Best-Performing-Cities-2021.pdf

I think the post above is correct. Over the next 12-18 months, I imagine we will see a number of F500 companies (especially those in banking, financial services, and fintech) opening secondary/tertiary offices in Charlotte. 

I wonder if we have any reason to not trust a report labeled "Milken.":)  ouch

Kennewick's ranking jumped 50 spots, and by the way, this year's Milken report is brought to you by the generous benefactors of Kennewick's Chamber of Commerce:).

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

very glad to see this as that space was one of the best build out for a restaurant in Charlotte.  

This is excellent news.  To be honest, the space is amazing but the food was so-so, in my opinion.  So, same space and new ownership but still keeping with the french motif should be a win-win-win.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RANYC said:

This is excellent news.  To be honest, the space is amazing but the food was so-so, in my opinion.  So, same space and new ownership but still keeping with the french motif should be a win-win-win.

They managed to earn 3 B health ratings in their short time being open. I could see that for a restaurant opened on a shoestring, with equipment challenges, or not able to attract the best staff. Absolutely  no excuse with such a highly capitalized restaurant. Most of the failures that caught my eye were about not following food safety best practices. The kind of things that make people sick. Good riddance to the poor management of the original. Hopefully the 5Church team can help this space live up to its potential. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

Agreed. Brunch was always great...! Went for dinner a handful of times and always left expecting more/underwhelmed. The space is impressive and the food just didn't live up to it. Excited for another chance here - it's one of those spots I would go with out of town guests because of its location and ambience.  

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 3:57 PM, atl2clt said:

The Milken report also ranks Atlanta as the #21 city in economic performance, despite the fact that Atlanta recently announced expansions by Microsoft, Airbnb and Google.  Any metrics that Milken is using clearly paint an incomplete picture. 

The economic indicators in the Milken study correlate to actual economic performance, not job announcements which take time to materialize. 

Affordable housing costs are factored in as well, and for the first time if I'm not mistaken. That's probably what caused Charlotte to slip more than anything. 

• 2 weeks later...

New Portuguese manufacturer picks Charlotte for its 100,000 sq ft plant that will serve all of North America.

Colquímica Adhesives to open first U.S. manufacturing facility at WestPark 85 industrial development - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

"""Charlotte is an outstanding and strategic location for us," said Pedro Gonçalves, CEO of Colquímica Adhesives Inc. "Being situated in a central point on the East coast will allow a close service to Colquímicas' customers, with good proximity to all the main industrial states and major cities. It is very well served in terms of logistic infrastructure, road communications, and sea harbors."""

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3