The Good News Report

atlrvr

7 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Is there such a person who lives in Charlotte or Charlotte area and physically commutes to Triangle/RTP?  

Yes believe it or not according to some chart I have seen in the past I think commuting patterns.  Looks like around 4800 people!

Commuting and the Charlotte region’s economic connections | UNC Charlotte Urban Institute | UNC Charlotte

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Before NC cities get high speed rail, they need to focus on walkability, mobility, mass transit, bike lanes, street calming, etc. 

It’s no use taking the train if you need a car to get around. The Big Bang mass transit project in Charlotte needs to happen. In addition, the city is not aggressive enough in bike lanes. Looking at Austin, TX. They have a pretty good network. Charlotte needs to do the same. And the new bike share system is a total mess. 

Amen, Amen, Amen.  I believe we should focus on systems of localized walkability and functional multi-modality.  Once those systems are in place locally, then by all means link them with people movers.

On 4/26/2021 at 3:53 PM, RANYC said:

Just to clarify the headline, after 3 years, these jobs are forecast to pay an average of 187,000, with the minimum salary at 168k.  Definitely mega high-paying jobs.

The TechWire article references the Centene project and brings up the variance between the Apple job salaries and those of Centene.   Centene is still a blockbuster win for Charlotte because they actually threw out possible job figures of 6000+.  The 3k were just the numbers that were a basis for the incentives package.    

Apple's new campus is super specialized hence the high wages (compare to Austin's more generic Apple Campus) but that won't stop them from expanding that campus in the future. San Diego Apple campus is tripling in size for example. 

Edited by carolina1792
  • Like 1

in other news woman minority owned startup for women's underwear started in Charlotte.   (and she is very right about womens underwear being in demand at homeless shelters)  Great to see her start this company here in Charlotte. 

Charlotte Inno - Charlotte founder on what shapes her sustainable, mission-based underwear brand (bizjournals.com)

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Really, the lower on this list probably the better. 

Give me NYC, DC, Paris, Madrid, etc. over Kansas City and other high ranking cities. 

I personally think these list focus on things that doesn’t fit my lifestyle or very relevant to what I value. Which is urbanity. 

Charlotte is one of the nicest blends of urbanity and perfect suburbs to raise families. So I wouldn’t worry about Raleigh being #3. We all know that’s not true in real life anyway. 

100% this.. At some point these lists just becoming meaningless. Especially when you see some of the other cities on said list. The average person probably couldn't even tell you the different between some of them too. Lol

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 8:03 PM, KJHburg said:

Maybe this list won't be so controversial.  Survey of CEOs shows NC is #4 favorite place to do business after TX FL and TN.  Considering the first 3 have no personal income tax I think this is great news for NC.

Up For Grabs: The Best & Worst States For Business 2021 (chiefexecutive.net)

one thing about these rankings what it shows me that Charlotte and NC always are near the top in the US whether some of you agree or not.  (and then why are you here in Charlotte anyway LOL)  Best places to live, best places for business etc. 

I'm sorry, but I'm so skeptical of this list that my hunch is to call BS on this each and every time.  And I'm not saying that because NC is ranked high, because I love NC, and not because CEOs may or may not like to do business here.  I've simply had it with everyone bashing NY and CA and IL...

And yes, it's great news that Apple is geographically dispersing to create centers of production closer to their range of users, but let's not forget the home-grown ingenuity that began in a high-tax state like Cali.  I'm so sick of cheapskate "southern states" who've skimped on so much, now trying to poach these companies with their race to the bottom.  We'll see how this plays out.

Cities topping the list housing Fortune 500 HQs: NYC, Chicago and Dallas.  And I don't know what profile of the CEOs who voted in this publication, but given all the companies in NYC and the reach of global deal-making that happens out of NYC, I'd be surprised if NYC weren't ranked high in a CEO polling of international companies.

And FL, give me a break.  I'm inclined to believe the FL Chamber of Commerce engaged in pay-for-rankings.  And yes, I believe "pay-for-rank" is a real thing in many of these lists.  

1 minute ago, RANYC said:

I'm sorry, but I'm so skeptical of this list that my hunch is to call BS on this each and every time.  And I'm not saying that because NC is ranked high, because I love NC, and not because CEOs may or may not like to do business here.  I've simply had it with everyone bashing NY and CA and IL...

And yes, it's great news that Apple is geographically dispersing to create centers of production closer to their range of users, but let's not forget the home-grown ingenuity that began in a high-tax state like Cali.  I'm so sick of cheapskate "southern states" who've skimped on so much, now trying to poach these companies with their continued tag-line of cheapskate-ism.  We'll see how this all shakes out.

Cities topping the list housing Fortune 500 HQs: NYC, Chicago and Dallas.  And I don't know what profile of the CEOs who voted in this publication, but given all the companies in NYC and the reach of global deal-making that happens out of NYC, I'd be surprised if NYC weren't ranked high in a CEO polling of international companies.

And FL, give me a break.  I'm inclined to believe the FL Chamber of Commerce engaged in pay-for-rankings.  And yes, I believe "pay-for-rank" is a real thing in many of these lists.  

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 3

That survey where business would expand or want to move.  It is not a count of where the top CEOs live or where the F500 companies are now based.  Many do have homes in Florida esp. South Florida that is probably why that state rates high. But Florida has lower costs and no income tax.   But it is a fact where is most business expanding in this country and it is in states like Texas, NC, GA, TN, Indiana, Ohio states with lower costs. Even your NYC based CEOS want their companies to make money for their shareholders and NY and California are for the most part very expensive states to operate in and that is not bashing that is just a fact. 

Check out this cost of living index map of the states   CA and NY are the two highest cost states.  

Cost Of Living Index by State 2021 (worldpopulationreview.com)

• Like 4

Duke's Mayo Kickoff Classic looks to be a winner for Charlotte and our struggling tourism industry.

From the CLT Biz Journal 

""In addition, there are two Labor Day weekend kickoff games scheduled for BofA Stadium this year; usually, there is only one early-season game played here. The 2021 doubleheader consists of East Carolina taking on Appalachian State on Sept. 2 and Georgia facing Clemson on Sept. 4.   Georgia-Clemson looks like it will live up to earlier expectations of becoming the highest-profile regular season college game to be played in Charlotte. The schools are both ranked in the top 10 by ESPN and could both be top-five teams by kickoff.   “You could easily make an argument that it’s the most important regular season game of the year in college football,” ESPN analyst and SEC Network talk-show host Paul Finebaum told me. “The attention on this game will certainly enhance Charlotte’s reputation as a destination for marquee college football games. I’m not sure if people realize how important this game will be. People on our program are already salivating about the game.”"

Charlotte's college football future could be much brighter after hosting Clemson-Georgia - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 4

On 5/2/2021 at 10:32 PM, KJHburg said:

That survey where business would expand or want to move.  It is not a count of where the top CEOs live or where the F500 companies are now based.  Many do have homes in Florida esp. South Florida that is probably why that state rates high. But Florida has lower costs and no income tax.   But it is a fact where is most business expanding in this country and it is in states like Texas, NC, GA, TN, Indiana, Ohio states with lower costs. Even your NYC based CEOS want their companies to make money for their shareholders and NY and California are for the most part very expensive states to operate in and that is not bashing that is just a fact. 

Check out this cost of living index map of the states   CA and NY are the two highest cost states.  

Cost Of Living Index by State 2021 (worldpopulationreview.com)

I agree with you generally K'burg, but anecdotally, I was living and working in Connecticut when some of the biggest names in Connecticut business were packing up and leaving.  They weren't going to TN, FL or TX (or NC) but Boston (GE/Raytheon) and Manhattan (Aetna). 

Lance a division of Campbell Foods Snack Division is looking for 150 people at their South Blvd plant.  Campbell Foods snack division employs 1600 plus in Charlotte in their plant, distribution center and corporate office in Ballantyne.

""Charlotte is one of two headquarters for Campbell Snacks, the other being in Connecticut. Campbell Snacks has been investing in growth here in the last three years and employs over 1,600 people between its three locations in the area. It has plans to continue ramping up its operations here, said Valerie Oswalt, president of Campbell Snacks. The division includes 47% of Campbell Soup Co.'s total revenue.  Campbell Snacks has its corporate headquarters in Ballantyne and established a 525,000-square-foot mixing center in Pineville in 2019 as well. Oswalt said most of the division's leadership team is now located in Charlotte. ""

Campbell Snacks looking to grow in Charlotte after 2018 acquisition of Snyder's-Lance - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 4