The Good News Report

11 minutes ago, kermit said:

[not good news but quoting from thread]
I have been to three different minor league ballparks in NC this year and my dad has season tickets at a fourth park (Durham). In every game the two of us have viewed (about a dozen in total) we have been surprised by the low attendance. Worse than a bad night pre virus in most cases. I’ll admit this is all from looking around, I have not looked at any attendance stats. But, both Knights games I attended showed most tickets sold on the web site, but I arrived to a largely empty ballpark.

What I take away from my sample of observations is that people are much more reluctant to return to big (crowded) events than we had originally assumed they would be. I just didn’t see any signs of a rush to return to normal at any of these games.

I am curious about the Big 4. MLB night games I have watched have seemed full. NBA and NHL play offs are at capacity, but those are playoffs. I think the big one to monitor will be NFL, especially in pre-season. 

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a native (but no longer resident) of Charlotte, I've always harbored an antipathy to Atlanta--please, no arguments! It's just how I've felt since childhood, like a sports rivalry!  But I genuinely

North Carolina is first in South to ban state funding for conversion therapy Gov. Roy Cooper signed an executive order calling the contentious practice "clinically and ethically inappropriate."

There are 13 Fortune 500 HQ's in North Carolina with 8 in the Charlotte metro and Hickory part of the Charlotte CSA. That leaves only 4 Fortune 500 HQ's outside the Charlotte region.  Also, the C

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

I am curious about the Big 4. MLB night games I have watched have seemed full. NBA and NHL play offs are at capacity, but those are playoffs. I think the big one to monitor will be NFL, especially in pre-season. 

As the NBA/NHL playoffs have shown, people aren't afraid to pack a house and that's indoors too.  I don't think the NFL or the Panthers will have any concerns about attendance this year.  I wouldn't judge attendance trajectory based off of preseason either (these are just glorified practices).  Back to the Knights, I know there's a big social aspect for these games, but if you're a baseball person, the Knights are dead last in the Southeast division.  Product on the field isn't great vs the Durham Bulls who are in 1st place which probably affects attendance numbers slightly.  I also think as more workers trickle back into the office Uptown, that should help too for week day games.  

• Like 1

Knight's are a rip-off. I predicted this a few years ago. When you lose baseball fanatics like myself it's only a matter of time before they enter the profit death spiral of reducing costs to make up for lower attendance which in turn  is driven by those very cost reductions and raising prices on concessions etc.

7 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

More good news on the tourism front.  Projected opening date for the new Carolinas Aviation Museum.  I went 2x to the old one before it closed and glad to see Honeywell stepping up to be a sponsor.   The Miracle on the Hudson shall rise again!

Carolinas Aviation Museum likely to reopen in 2023 - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

""According to recently filed plans with the city, the museum will encompass a 10,500-square-foot existing hangar, a new 5,000-square-foot welcome center and a 45,000-square-foot main gallery with exhibit and education areas.  An airport spokesperson said federal regulations require hangars be prioritized for aviation use. The museum moved out when CLT landed a private aviation tenant for the space. That tenant turned out to be Honeywell International Inc. (NYSE: HON), which has since become a sponsor of the aviation museum.  According to previous CBJ reporting, aviation museum executives had already begun planning for a new home. Honeywell’s arrival accelerated that process.""

Too cool! Any idea where this might be located? Weren't there talks of hangars  by the new de-icing pad?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, csweet said:

Too cool! Any idea where this might be located? Weren't there talks of hangars  by the new de-icing pad?

I believe it’s going to be located in the NE corner of the airfield near the original Hangar for the museum.  They are renovating that building plus adding a 45000 sq ft building and 5k sq ft visitors center.

https://www.carolinasaviation.org/prepare-for-takeoff/

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 4