The Good News Report

atlrvr

US News and Report which exists only online now ranked 150 metro areas of all sizes and came up the the best.

Charlotte is #20

Raleigh Durham #2 which they combined 

Charlotte competitor cities compared to Charlotte 

Austin #5 further down the list is Nashville #30, Tampa #32, Dallas Fort Worth #37, Atlanta #37   these are the major cities Charlotte competes with so only Raleigh Durham and Austin rank better.  

Best Places to Live in the U.S. in 2021-2022 | Places Rankings | U.S. News Best Places (usnews.com)

as I have said I look at these studies in context how many times does Charlotte fare in the top and we do good.   This list was of 150 metro areas many much smaller than ours. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

US News and Report which exists only online now ranked 150 metro areas of all sizes and came up the the best.

Charlotte is #20

Raleigh Durham #2 which they combined 

Charlotte competitor cities compared to Charlotte 

Austin #5 further down the list is Nashville #30, Tampa #32, Dallas Fort Worth #37, Atlanta #37   these are the major cities Charlotte competes with so only Raleigh Durham and Austin rank better.  

Best Places to Live in the U.S. in 2021-2022 | Places Rankings | U.S. News Best Places (usnews.com)

as I have said I look at these studies in context how many times does Charlotte fare in the top and we do good.   This list was of 150 metro areas many much smaller than ours. 

I'm not knocking their methodology, but I'm certainly question Huntsville at 3. 

While it would be a very nice city to raise a family in with good job opportunities,  particularly in the aerospace industry.  (The Cummings Research Park is the 2nd largest research park in  the US (only behind RTP) and 4th largest in the world.) as well as having a great outdoor mall.  It is lacking in other areas in terms of amenities.   I suppose Nashville is only an hour and half drive away though.  

Having said that.  It is certainly an unassumingly affluent city to be in a state with the reputation of Alabama, and is a lovely city to visit.  I would recommend the world famous Space and Rocket Center (Home to the famous Space Camp).  If you are ever in the area.  

Source- I lived in the Huntsville-Madison area for a year in the 2015-2016.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From Business Facilities magazine an economic development and corporate real estate magazine.  As I have said when you again and again come in top or near the top of the rankings it does mean something.  

Business Facilities' 17th Annual Rankings Report

NC overall #2 best business climate after VA
#8 best state for food processing
#7 in industrial output
#4 tech talent pipeline after VA CA NY
#6 customized training
#8 in semiconductors
#5 in biotechnology
#3 in installed solar capacity
#10 best business tax climate  only SE state is FL at #5
#10 fastest growing state 
#6 in foreign direct investment
Raleigh #2 millenial magnets
Charlotte # 6 corporate HQ location only much larger metro areas ahead of us NY Chicago Houston Atlanta Dallas
Charlotte #3 best business climate large metro after only Dallas and Phoenix
Charlotte #7 US city in Fintech 
Raleigh #4 tech hub growth potential

• Like 4

This is somewhat good news that tech companies are still leasing office space around the country according to story from Ashley Fahey.    Credit Karma for example will be leasing more space in Ballantyne for their expansion.     Tech companies are been on the forefront of shedding office space so this is important not all feel that way like Apple which is building a 1 M sq ft campus in RTP or even Credit Karma here in Charlotte. 

More office leases were signed by technology companies than any other industry in Q2 - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

""The technology industry helped pave a path toward mainstream hybrid or "remote-first" workplace models, especially in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic.But tech companies are still leasing the most office space across the country — by a wide margin. In the second quarter, technology companies tracked by commercial real estate firm JLL Inc. leased 3.4 million square feet of office space. That's compared to 2.3 million square feet leased by the finance and insurance industry, the second-highest sector in Q2. Still, office-leasing velocity among all industries is well below pre-pandemic levels — down 44% from Q2 2019, according to London-based commercial real estate firm Savills PLC. Nationally, companies in technology, advertising, media and information make up about 30% of all year-to-date office leasing activity, the firm found.""

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, rancenc said:

I wonder if they would have a storefront in these cases. With Amazons most popular products. 

49 minutes ago, rancenc said:

Wasn't able to get behind the pay wall but I wonder if Kohl's department stores are involved in this as well.  I went in to Kohl's last week and the store had an Amazon return drop off location.  I wasn't paying attention to the signs and thought how convenient to put a checkout register in the middle of the men's department.  :tw_flushed:

Atom Power a home grown energy-tech firm will open a manufacturing plant in the Charlotte region next year.

Charlotte Inno - NEWSMAKER: CEO Ryan Kennedy details Atom Power's manufacturing plant plans (bizjournals.com)

UNC Charlotte born in 2014.   This is local tech upstart success story that is about to go much bigger.

Atom Power — Digital Power & Energy

• Like 2

Charlotte is moving forward with renaming nine streets that are named after confederate sources. Jefferson Davis st is now officially Druid Hill Way and the other eight will be changed soon.

Stonewall is one of the ones getting the axe. Excellent idea but it is a shame that it took until 2021 to do it.

https://www.wbtv.com/2021/02/09/charlotte-city-council-moving-forward-with-plan-rename-streets-named-confederate-figures-2/

I think they should go with Gantt st for the replacement. Or maybe Jordan Ave.

Edited by Nick2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

I don't think we should name any street that is still living and that includes Mr Gantt and Mr Jordan.  Charlotte did this once with the Bob Walton Plaza a county owned building then child abuse allegations came out against him. 

Agree.  Numbers and Plant-Life names, please.

• Like 3