The Good News Report

atlrvr

• 2 weeks later...

6 hours ago, elrodvt said:

"the city has a thriving central business district (Uptown).

You agree with this?

it's all relative I guess but it's sure not thriving from a "living there"  perspective (imho).

It’s definitely thriving. I think most people would consider opening at least 1 new skyscraper per year in the CBD thriving. I don’t know why someone living uptown would not consider it thriving. It’s beautiful, clean, and busy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, elrodvt said:

"the city has a thriving central business district (Uptown).

You agree with this?

it's all relative I guess but it's sure not thriving from a "living there"  perspective (imho).

Unless Charlotte recreates Denver Uptown, I suspect you will always be disappointed. Nonetheless, I get your point.  Uptown is impressive in many ways and moving in the right direction but probably not yet "thriving".  South End is thriving.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

If only we had a RIVER!

But seriouly, Dallas get so much press, but their Downtown doesn't feel much bigger or more thriving than ours, and South End can catch up to Dallas' uptown.

I love Dallas and have been there several times and will spend more time there soon for work but you’re right.  Considering how massive the DFW metroplex is their downtown is not that impressive.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, JBS said:

Unless Charlotte recreates Denver Uptown, I suspect you will always be disappointed. Nonetheless, I get your point.  Uptown is impressive in many ways and moving in the right direction but probably not yet "thriving".  South End is thriving.  

Not the case re Denver. It's just I'm looking for stuff to do and a place to live, not skyscrapers. Different perspectives. I thought things were looking up until COVID hit. Hopefully we get back to it. I can't believe I'm the only one coming at it from this angle. I agree with you South End is where it's at  now. We really need places you can buy in uptown not just apartments. Until then I'm really hard pressed to say thriving.

Edited by elrodvt
  • Like 1

In terms of thriving with “places” Uptown does have quite a few things. Lots of restaurants, arena events, football and other events the BofA stadium and places around uptown some people may not even know exist lol. Now could there and should there be more? Of course! The more the better. Considering everything going on in uptown I’d say it’s thriving especially the times I’ve walked through uptown there was always people. Uptown can be desolate at certain times but more often than not it has life in some shape and amount.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Temeteron said:

I love Dallas and have been there several times and will spend more time there soon for work but you’re right.  Considering how massive the DFW metroplex is their downtown is not that impressive.  

Houston shockingly has a better downtown. Dallas really misses out having their Stadiums not in Downtown (American Airlines in Uptown). 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, turbocraig said:

I want both.  I want cool places to live but I want skyscrapers too.  Great big tall shiny skyscrapers.  I have no shame in saying this.  I love that our downtown is such a prominent and omnipresent visual, from just about anywhere you’d want to be around here.  It’s a huge part of what defines us (even if it mostly is just to ourselves), visually and egotistically and is just a plain driver of growth on its own.  I mean, just about all of these Southend towers are leapfrogging each other to get the best view of downtown.  

It makes us feel big city and cosmopolitan while at the same time you’ll run into 4-6 random people you know while brewery crawling on a Sunday.  I love that about this place.   If more towers constitute a level of thriving, however defined, I’ll take it.  Gimme more. 

I totally disagree.  Maybe it's a huge part of what defines "some people."  Not all.  Skyscrapers don't make for a bustling downtown.  Countless examples in the US of gleaming towers set amidst dead downtowns.  A diversity of people on the street...and streetscapes that invite people to linger in full bi-pedalistic fashion are what make for bustling downtowns.  Sure, if you can have the high-rises and get street-level engagement, then that's great.  But a singular focus on the high-rises does little to nothing...except give mainly suburbanites something to point to, many of whom marvel at the skyscrapers from the 'burbs but don't actually live in or next to the towers they claim to love.  While I think our downtown has a lot of promise, you can look at the various dense, yet low-rise districts even here in Charlotte, to see how much people like strolling and reveling in areas that don't have towering buildings imposing on them.  Much of the most vibrant parts of South End/Gold District are set among low and mid-rise buildings.  Same in NODA.  Same in Plaza-Midwood.  Someone on here once posted the link to a study that said 5-story buildings or less which engage with the street are ideal for inviting pedestrian traffic and engagement.  So yes, I'm not against skyscrapers, but think they're over-rated if the goal is vibrancy on the ground.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

I wonder how many who've responded to this thread live in uptown? I did and fairly quickly determined the attractions are not nearly sufficient to overcome the negatives of living in the city. There really aren't that many negatives either. 

Where did you move?  Also, before you relocated to Charlotte from Denver, did you do a lot of research as to where you wanted to be?  Site visits and things of that nature?  Did it seem like downtown checked boxes for you that then got unchecked?  I'm not being snarky with these questions, I'm truly curious.

Edited by turbocraig

7 hours ago, turbocraig said:

Where did you move?  Also, before you relocated to Charlotte from Denver, did you do a lot of research as to where you wanted to be?  Site visits and things of that nature?  Did it seem like downtown checked boxes for you that then got unchecked?  I'm not being snarky with these questions, I'm truly curious.

Didn't take it as snark.

I did do quite a bit of research and got a LOT of help here on this forum. I was pretty fixated on not needing the car often and being in a walkable area. Downtown seemed like the only place I could remotely do that. I knew downtown was sort of death valley when we moved in but it seemed like things were moving in the right direction albeit slowly - I was wrong.. So, no place checked a lot of boxes.

We moved to a generic suburb in south charlotte giving up on almost all our criteria. I was wrong. other than being close to the grandkids (which is why we moved here).

Most people seem to have the attitude that charlotte is "good enough" or  are unwilling to criticize the city many of them grew up in - which is understandable. Without a lot more criticism from within though I don't really see how things will improve from an urbanists perspective.  Maybe I'm all wet though and whatever happens we're going to stick here to be near family and there are no better choices. Survival techniques employed - don't read the paper, don't watch the local news, post less here so I don't piss off more people. ;-)

Edited by elrodvt
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Didn't take it as snark.

I did do quite a bit of research and got a LOT of help here on this forum. I was pretty fixated on not needing the car often and being in a walkable area. Downtown seemed like the only place I could remotely do that. I knew downtown was sort of death valley when we moved in but it seemed like things were moving in the right direction albeit slowly - I was wrong.. So, no place checked a lot of boxes.

We moved to a generic suburb in south charlotte giving up on almost all our criteria. I was wrong. other than being close to the grandkids (which is why we moved here).

Most people seem to have the attitude that charlotte is "good enough" or  are unwilling to criticize the city many of them grew up in - which is understandable. Without a lot more criticism from within though I don't really see how things will improve from an urbanists perspective.  Maybe I'm all wet though and whatever happens we're going to stick here to be near family and there are no better choices. Survival techniques employed - don't read the paper, don't watch the local news, post less here so I don't piss off more people. ;-)

That all makes sense.  It does sadden me to hear you're only "surviving" here less the benefits of grandkid-proximity.  But you could probably be in worse places.  I appreciate the counter-narratives provided here.  It can't all be boosterism.

• Like 1