The Good News Report

atlrvr

• 2 weeks later...

4 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

Do we have any metrics on what the top tourist attractions in Charlotte are?

The data are kinda flawed for this. The state's definition for attraction has long been "number of people crossing a county line to visit." Unfortunately this inevitably means that Concord Mills is always listed as the top area attraction simply due to its location in 'almost Meck'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

Do we have any metrics on what the top tourist attractions in Charlotte are?

The three attractions with the most reviews on TripAdvisor for Charlotte are (and far ahead of any other):

Carowinds

Billy Graham Library

NASCAR Hall of Fame

Edited by CLT2014
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

The three attractions with the most reviews on TripAdvisor for Charlotte are (and far ahead of any other):

Carowinds

Billy Graham Library

NASCAR Hall of Fame

That’s cuz there are only certain types of demographics that use Trip Advisor. Usually people who are clueless of what to do. (Although I wouldn’t put Carowinds  in that category)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

That’s cuz there are only certain types of demographics that use Trip Advisor. Usually people who are clueless of what to do. (Although I wouldn’t put Carowinds  in that category)

Yeah totally agree... Just not sure more visitors go to Optimist Hall than Billy Graham. Like locals know what to do in Charlotte, but TripAdvisor is a decent representation of the most popular spots for mass tourist appeal.

Edited by CLT2014

Dinner cruises on the Catawba sound great. Lake Norman could also use more public access and tourist style things like a dinner cruise. 

I would really love to see the Rail Trail bridge have a very iconic and unique design (lit up queen crown would be awesome). I think it's a great chance to install a landmark that people know about even outside of Charlotte. It can happen with smaller artistic features like Chicago's bean and Philly's LOVE sculpture.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Reverie39 said:

Dinner cruises on the Catawba sound great. Lake Norman could also use more public access and tourist style things like a dinner cruise. 

I would really love to see the Rail Trail bridge have a very iconic and unique design (lit up queen crown would be awesome). I think it's a great chance to install a landmark that people know about even outside of Charlotte. It can happen with smaller artistic features like Chicago's bean and Philly's LOVE sculpture.

Just checked and apparently there is a boat called Queens Landing that offers Lake Norman sightseeing tours and dinner cruises.  Hadn’t seen any marketing for it anywhere before now.  Unfortunately, doesn’t appear that there’s any way to access a cruise like this from the river somewhere in Charlotte.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, RANYC said:

Just checked and apparently there is a boat called Queens Landing that offers Lake Norman sightseeing tours and dinner cruises.  Hadn’t seen any marketing for it anywhere before now.  Unfortunately, doesn’t appear that there’s any way to access a cruise like this from the river somewhere in Charlotte.

I know some folks that have done the Lake Norman dinner cruise. They said it was nice enough and a bit of a novelty. Not a rave review, but they enjoyed it.

6 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I know some folks that have done the Lake Norman dinner cruise. They said it was nice enough and a bit of a novelty. Not a rave review, but they enjoyed it.

There are actually two types of cruises on Lake Norman that are dinner related.  Listed below is the link.

https://queenslanding.com/catawba-queen-buffet-cruise/

• Like 1

Charlotte has gained another publicly traded company and its HQ.  From the Biz Journal today

""Charlotte will add a new publicly traded company on Nov. 1. That's when XPO Logistics Inc. spins off its proprietary tech-enabled truckload brokerage as a separate company named RXO Inc.

This week, RXO priced a debt offering at $355 million in notes due in 2027 that will be used in the spinoff. RXO will use that money, $100 million in term loans and cash on hand to pay $554 million to XPO to repay existing indebtedness incurred while it was part of the original company.

RXO will be the fourth-largest broker of full-truckload freight in the United States and will trade on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “RXO.” All stock will be owned by XPO (NYSE: XPO) shareholders, who will receive one share of RXO for each XPO share they own as of Oct. 20.

RXO’s headquarters will be in Ballantyne’s Woodard Building at 11215 North Community House Road. XPO has had its North American Transport headquarters there since 2018. The company occupies just over 113,000 square feet there.

Charlotte to be home to most its North Carolina employees
RXO will have 750 employees in Charlotte and 1,100 across North Carolina, including a small operation in Statesville.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/10/14/xpo-logistics-rxo-inc-digital-truck-brokerage.html

• Like 4