The Good News Report

atlrvr

Something is very odd there! Having lived in the center of downtown in both cities I'd expect Denver to not just be higher but an order of magnitude higher.

Probably have to spend a lot of time in the weeds figuring it out though and I'm not that curious! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, elrodvt said:

Something is very odd there! Having lived in the center of downtown in both cities I'd expect Denver to not just be higher but an order of magnitude higher.

Probably have to spend a lot of time in the weeds figuring it out though and I'm not that curious! 

Yeah, I’m not that curious neither but my hypothesis is cities that are typically more sprawly tend to fair pretty well on metropolitan density levels. Charlotte’s metropolitan area is overall more walkable than Denver’s probably whereas per walk score, Denver (city) scores a 61 & CLT (city) a 16.

The little graph below sort of shows the density starts to equal out with further distance with LA actually surpassing NYC in population density around 18 miles out. 

B00B4160-DB10-44CD-ACBE-97F5CE0FDED3.thumb.jpeg.6c3fcdb4c2a5d2d722f9b84fc9078cc8.jpeg

That’s my best speculation.  

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Hmmm… #13 in foot traffic of metropolitan areas goes to Charlotte. I’d say that’s good news. I’m surprised, at least. At least above Denver is surprising (obviously it’s per this source and entire metro area.) 

18A66D02-9A4B-4E4B-BB76-35FAB35314C7.thumb.jpeg.1e418245da30ab975a45371f6c195296.jpeg

The only place walkable in Virginia Beach is the oceanfront resort area. Norfolk (in the same metro) is immensely more walkable, dense and urban. And no Charleston, SC on this list? I can't believe Charleston has less "walkable urbanism" than Las Vegas or Orlando or Virginia Beach.....

Charlotte at #13 has probably benefited from the growth of SouthEnd.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

Growing up in the Triangle my family and I always remarked about how shockingly clean urban Charlotte was whenever we visited. Compare it to a similar sized city like Baltimore and it is a night and day difference.

Wow, you mean a small city in the middle of nowhere that didn't even begin to take off until the middle of the 20th century (Charlotte population 100k in 1940) is cleaner than a historic port city that was the size of present-day Charlotte (~850,000) in 1940. Shocking! :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

Fair, maybe Baltimore wasn't a good comparison given its history as a larger city and eventual decline. I still think Charlotte is very clean though. Maybe something like Portland is a better comparison, it was larger than Charlotte in 1940 but has more than doubled in population since then, experiencing similar explosive growth post WW2. While a very pretty city I don't think anyone would argue Charlotte is sparkly clean compared to it lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2023 at 7:41 AM, rancenc said:

A smart state might use part of this to finance and speed along a transit project like the Silver Line. Just saying.

• Like 1

Increasing teacher pay statewide is an easy bi-partisan win for the Legislature and Governor that gives each county and district a piece of the pie. Unfortunately, light rail in Charlotte is looking very partisan. I don't see the General Assembly moving to transfer much of a state-wide budget surplus to the Great State of Mecklenburg. 

I suspect the NCGOP will also push to accelerate lowering taxes even further saying the tax cuts actually spur growth. 

Edited by CLT2014

On 2/3/2023 at 10:26 PM, elrodvt said:

No one there to get it dirty. :⁠-⁠)

Seriously, this sure isn't the reaction I get. Look on the side of 277. It's a landfill. 

I understand what your saying, but some litter on the side of an interstate highway isn't quite comparable to systemic and prolonged rot, filth, and decay. 

• Like 3

Austin, Charlotte & Nashville outpacing their peers in office space under construction. 

Charlotte is adding the 9th most office space overall (and the 2nd largest increase over its existing inventory). One thing that sticks out to me is Boston. Geeeez. 

68544F50-4887-48E6-A5FE-1A9FD2D5F1F8.thumb.jpeg.5cd3b9d074ac7d9987c398b769bc2efa.jpeg

BAF37871-3932-4607-A7F6-9920CAAD9762.thumb.jpeg.ded91ce56782afdf24d9bb4858a70658.jpeg

Article here: https://www.commercialcafe.com/blog/office-pipeline-report/

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3