The Good News Report

atlrvr

I have been thinking...it seems like the Gov is in town pretty often ...with these "announcements". I don't remember this happening before the recession. Were new jobs so common place and had we become so use to them that we didnt get as excited back then? Why do we see so much attention now? Just curious.

^ Unfortunately, Time Warner Inc. and Time Warner Cable are now 2 completely separate companies that have nothing to do with one another, so it wouldn't be related to that rumor.

I would assume that they are shipping more NYC jobs down here. Really no reason for them to have accounting/HR/etc type jobs in expensive Manhattan office space.

I find it interesting that it's this far in advance that we are finding out about the jobs announcement--it's usually the morning of. It's either because it's a political move or it's a major announcement. Hopefully that latter :)

Edited by dbull75

Time Warner Cable will be creating a new data center in Charlotte at their current campus. They will be adding 225 new jobs (avg salary $61k) and investing $101 million that will help build 2 new buildings. Both buildings will be LEED certified. With the new positions there will be about 2,800 employees in the Charlotte area.

EDIT: Apparently at the end of the announcement, Gov. Perdue made a pitch for Time Warner Cable to relocate their HQ to Charlotte.

Edited by dbull75

The announcement is that Time Warner Cable is adding 225 jobs (Average salary $61,044) and constructing two new buildings on its campus:

• 103,000-square-foot office building will house corporate accounting, human resources and IT functions
  • 178,000-square-foot data center

Over all investment of $101 million dollars.

http://charlottecham...e_CoRelease.pdf

EDIT: DAMN - DBULL Beat me!

Edited by Urbanity

Wow, isn't this like the fourth or fifth data center to locate in NC within a year or so? Also it looks like this one is probably adding the most jobs of all of them.

Electricity is very cheap here. The commercial rate is like .07/kilowatt hour. Those centers use huge amounts of electricity, so the difference of just a penny per kilowatt hour can mean hundreds of thousands of dollars in savings.

Electricity is very cheap here. The commercial rate is like .07/kilowatt hour. Those centers use huge amounts of electricity, so the difference of just a penny per kilowatt hour can mean hundreds of thousands of dollars in savings.

along with gobs of excess capacity thanks to the loss of textile and furniture manufacturers. This is the "payoff' to our recent deindustrialization, unfortunately the data centers only create a handful of jobs.

along with gobs of excess capacity thanks to the loss of textile and furniture manufacturers. This is the "payoff' to our recent deindustrialization, unfortunately the data centers only create a handful of jobs.

Yes, but it looks like this one is creating the most jobs of all the ones that have recently set up shop in NC. I think the others (Apple, Facebook, Google, IBM, etc.) have created 50 jobs or less, while this one is creating over 200.

Yes, but it looks like this one is creating the most jobs of all the ones that have recently set up shop in NC. I think the others (Apple, Facebook, Google, IBM, etc.) have created 50 jobs or less, while this one is creating over 200.
maybe, but the way I interpreted the press release is that Charlotte is getting a new data center (which is good) which will create a typical data center number of jobs. The remainder of the jobs are coming from:
A new 103,000-square-foot office building will house corporate accounting, human resources and IT functions.
per the press release cited by urbanity

While I don't know the details of commercial real estate I think that 200 workers is a pretty small number for 100,000 square feet of offices.

Edited by kermit

maybe, but the way I interpreted the press release is that Charlotte is getting a new data center (which is good) which will create a typical data center number of jobs. The remainder of the jobs are coming from: per the press release cited by urbanity

Ahhh, I see. That makes sense.

Time Warner Cable will be creating a new data center in Charlotte at their current campus. They will be adding 225 new jobs (avg salary $61k) and investing $101 million that will help build 2 new buildings. Both buildings will be LEED certified. With the new positions there will be about 2,800 employees in the Charlotte area.

EDIT: Apparently at the end of the announcement, Gov. Perdue made a pitch for Time Warner Cable to relocate their HQ to Charlotte.

How was that pitch received? Are they interested in relocating to Charlotte?

How was that pitch received? Are they interested in relocating to Charlotte?

That I don't know... I just read some tweets about it from those that attended the announcement. They didn't post anything about the reaction from TWC.

Edited by dbull75

From the non-copyrrighted Chamber press release:

Positec Tool Corp., a Chinese power tool manufacturer has announced that it is moving its Charlotte-based North American headquarters into a new office location at 10130 Perimeter Parkway. The firm will also relocate its retail distribution facility from Santa Fe Springs, CA to about 120,000 sq. ft of industrial space in The Park at Huntersville. The expansion will add 30 new jobs.

• 2 weeks later...

Charlotte-based Celgard will hire 250 more workers at its Concord plant. They will invest $105 million over the next years. The expansion is designed to increase production capacity to supply lithium battery manufacturers focused on the Electric Drive Vehicle industry.

• 2 weeks later...