The Good News Report

atlrvr

I think the Chamber is lowering its bar for what contitutes a major announcement (although the financial services aspect of the announcement is a plus)

Booz Allen recently hired nearly 20 management and technology consultant employees in Charlotte as part of its commercial growth and expansion goals. Its projections include reaching 40 staff members in the first quarter of calendar year 2012, with steady growth throughout the following next 12 months.

Booz Allen is currently working with a local real estate representative to review its needs in Charlotte. In the meantime, its employees are working in transitional space and on client sites, as well as serving clients from other Booz Allen locations.

quotes are from the non-copyrighted press release.

http://charlottechamber.com/index.php?src=news&refno=3648&category=Economic+Development+News&prid=3648

^I saw that and thought maybe they were missing a zero at the end. Agreed in that the standards have definitely gone down. Perhaps they'll do a press release for every 5 people hired soon.

Not a lot of jobs, but not bad on the "prestige" factor, which is probably why it got it's own announcement. Besides the high salary range of $85k-$150k, Booz Allen Hamilton is a top tier consulting firm....with most of their employees from top 50 universities. They sold off their commercial consulting practice 3 years ago (almost 100% of their business is with the federal govt and military), and now they are looking to start over in other sectors. Hopefully their Charlotte office will become a major component of that expansion.

It's also nice they are focusing their office search to Uptown.

Anyone have any ideas on what current office vacancy rates are in uptown? I know in the past we've had some of the lowest, but the most recent numbers I've seen were back when Duke Power and the NASCAR building were just finishing up.

The CBRE report for Q3 2011 says the CBD vacancy rate is 10% with 83,000 sq ft absorbed in Q3. Lease rates downtown declined to $23.63 per sqft. CBRE suggests that the real lease rates are significantly lower than that for large consumers.

The next lowest vacancy rate was 13% in Midtown (just slightly higher in Southpark). Vacancy rates outside of 'intown' (broadly defined) range from 20-30%. Ballantyne has 21.6% vacancy with 550,000 square feet under construction (the only office space currently being constructed according to CBRE). The Charlotte market's average vacancy rate is 17.2% and average lease rate was $19.41 per sqft.

The usual disclaimers apply....

Edited by kermit

and once again (even though I felt kinda played the last time):

email from the Chamber:

Special Economic Development Press Conference. N.C Lt. Governor Walter Dalton and others will be presenting.

Monday, October 31, 2011 10:30 a.m.

I would think Bev would show up for Chiquita....

and once again (even though I felt kinda played the last time):

email from the Chamber:

I would think Bev would show up for Chiquita....

Yea, I'm sure she would show up if it was Chiquita. Perhaps it's another company that atlrvr alluded to that recently had incentives approved.

^^^ While not economic news in a pure sense, I think this is a great PR moment for the city. That most of the degrees are focused on finance helps us continue to attract professionals in the industry which hopefully will translate into retaining clout as a banking and finance center.

• 2 weeks later...

Several items of note for today...

Lash group will be creating an extra 450 jobs most of them in Charlotte.

QC data is in the process of adding 60 jobs.

PreGel is adding 48 jobs in Cabarrus County.

German solar equipment manufacturer Schletter is scouting the region for sites to build a manufacturing plant. It could employ up to 100 people.

Also, Duke is expecting to have more workers in the Charlotte region once the merger is complete.

Edited by cltbwimob

Siemens Energy unveiled their $350 million expansion in south Charlotte yesterday. They've hired 700+ workers since they announced the expansion last year. They will also be hiring an ADDITIONAL 400 workers in the next few years as well. This is in addition to previous job hiring announcements.

Edited by dbull75

• 2 weeks later...