The Good News Report

atlrvr

It definitely would be nice, especially for the Cabarrus area. I really do feel that by now the Charlotte area has shown it has the skill set to support an auto manufacturing operations here. Unfortunately I don't think that we will be receiving an auto plant here. Toyota would have been good but it looks like we snubbed on that one.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/outside_the_loop/2014/05/magazine-goodyear-may-build-500m-tire-plant-in.html

Seems like a legitimate source, however Goodyear said it has just begun the site selection process. That is not something I would expect a company to say if they were in final negotiations for a site. Could be a ploy though.

I read from the Rock Hill Herald that Goodyear is not the company behind this. A couple of weeks ago, the Herald was talking about the amount of spinoff businesses this would create. I wouldn't think the supply chains for tire manufacturers are particularly deep like they are with automobile assembly plants, therefore the potential for spinoff seems small.

At any rate, should we assume this is some tire manufacturer even if its not Goodyear? The local media said a few weeks ago that the mystery company produced products that were a household name. Goodyear fits that bill, along with Michelin and Firestone, but those companies already have large operations elsewhere in SC and Hankook recently decided to put their first plant in Tennessee. If not one of the aforementioned companies then who? Doesn't seem like many others such as Falken, Sumitomo, etc would be household names, although people in auto circles certainly know those companies.

I read that Volvo was looking to build a plant in the US, and I was hoping that would be the announcement.

Edited by cltbwimob

Tire manufacturing is a dead business anyway.  Don't you guys remember that by 2015 everyone will have flying cars and hoverboards?  Great Scott!

I feel so misled by the Jetsons as a kid. I was convinced by now we'd all be riding in their flying cars.

http://www.thestate.com/2014/05/30/3476819/sources-york-county-pursing-projects.html?sp=/99/132/

Confused.  This article from The State talks about "class A office space for 5,000 workers". Different project?

The county has been pursuing the two “large-scale, Class A office projects” for more than a year, Farris said. The Class A industry standard denotes offices that have high-quality finishes, state-of-the-art systems, and a “definite market presence,” according to the Building Owners and Managers Association.

Edited by Miesian Corners

http://www.thestate.com/2014/05/30/3476819/sources-york-county-pursing-projects.html?sp=/99/132/

Confused.  This article from The State talks about "class A office space for 5,000 workers". Different project?

The county has been pursuing the two “large-scale, Class A office projects” for more than a year, Farris said. The Class A industry standard denotes offices that have high-quality finishes, state-of-the-art systems, and a “definite market presence,” according to the Building Owners and Managers Association.

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/2014/05/30/3476819/sources-york-county-pursing-projects.html?sp=/99/132/#storylink=cpy

The project to which you are referring is in York County; the other project is in Chester County.

If its a HQ and R&D lab, it would be conceivable that there could be two different campuses for the same company.  A manufacturing plant in Chester, and then a office park a couple miles north in York Co.

LPL could be one of those office projects, as they are looking at consolidating/expanding in Charlotte or York Co.  I believe their job targets will be around 1,500-1,700 people, though I really hope they stay in Charlotte.

Michelin already has 9 of its 19 US plants in South Carolina with a 10th plant manufacturing aircraft tires just North of the border in the Charlotte region. Additionally the US HQ is already in Greenville.

Continental just opened up a massive plant in Sumter SC earlier this year and has its US HQ in Lancaster County. I doubt either one of these companies is the mystery company.

Atlrvr mentioned the possibility that the company may be seeking a US HQ in York and manufacturing/ R&D in Chester. I hope the way this all shakes out is that whatever company is going to the Chester county megasite goes there and that these mystery companies behind the York County announcements are two new companies, and within 4-6 weeks, our region will have 6,500 new jobs on the way. I also hope that one of these York announcements isn't LPL Financial. Finally, I hope as speculated by Tire Review, the new Goodyear plant also lands in the region and brings with it another 1000-1500 jobs.

Edited by cltbwimob

Suprised no one has mentioned this yet, seems like a big deal for Charlotte (even if its only a relatively small number of jobs). From yesterday's Chamber press release:

[forgive the awkward formatting. The quote function is not working on my ipad at the moment, everything below is a quote from the Chamber]

France’s Largest Privately Owned Design Firm

Team Créatif to Open US Headquarters in Charlotte

Team Créatif Group, a French marketing and design firm, announced today the opening of its U.S. headquarters in Charlotte. Team Creatif USA Inc. will lease 3,000 square feet in uptown Charlotte, hiring 40 people over the next three years.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

Suprised no one has mentioned this yet, seems like a big deal (if only a relatively small number of jobs. From yesterday's Chmber press release:

[the quote function is not working on my ipad at the moment]

France’s Largest Privately Owned Design Firm

Team Créatif to Open US Headquarters in Charlotte

Team Créatif Group, a French marketing and design firm, announced today the opening of its U.S. headquarters in Charlotte. Team Creatif USA Inc. will lease 3,000 square feet in uptown Charlotte, hiring 40 people over the next three years.

Pretty cool news! Working in a creative firm, that sounds too small for 40 people to me. We have about 3,000 sqft and are having to move as we get over 25!

^ That was my first thought when I saw the news.  I didn't understand 40 people and 3,000 sq ft....maybe they plan on expanding as they hire?  I almost thought it was a company that outsourced a bunch of work to contractors that worked from home, but they seem pretty legit. 

In another article it says they originally targeted Nashville, but were recruited hard to Charlotte (by a client I think).

Nice win for Charlotte it seems.

If its a HQ and R&D lab, it would be conceivable that there could be two different campuses for the same company.  A manufacturing plant in Chester, and then a office park a couple miles north in York Co.

LPL could be one of those office projects, as they are looking at consolidating/expanding in Charlotte or York Co.  I believe their job targets will be around 1,500-1,700 people, though I really hope they stay in Charlotte.

I have it on good authority that the York Co. project will be LPL.

I have it on good authority that the York Co. project will be LPL.

It figures...Hope that there are hundreds of additional jobs as part of the announcement rather than the current jobs just moving across the border.

SC could really help the overall employment picture in the metro area if they would use their resources to attract companies from outside the area.  However it seems as if their biggest strategy is to poach Charlotte companies.