The Good News Report

atlrvr

I'm just having a real difficult time wrapping my head around this... This would ONLY be positive if these companies were looking to relocate outside the Charlotte metro area. From what I gathered that didn't look like a strong possibility. Instead you have South Carolina throwing MILLIONS of dollars in incentives for a couple of companies to move a few miles across the state line. They will be located in an area that does not have the infrastructure to support thousands of new jobs -- 160 is a two lane road in several areas around these new locations. The city of Charlotte and neighboring counties need to work collectively together to bring NEW jobs to the area, not p1ssing away millions to hijack jobs from each other. The only thing this does is let Nikki Haley say she brought lots of jobs to her state when in reality all she did was move them across the border and used funds that could be better allocated for real job growth in the metro area. Sorry for my rant, this just irks me to no end.

You nailed it. Haley and local leaders can tout job creation to get re-elected.

The Giti plant in Chester really was a nice get for that area, but the other two announcements really benefited nobody but the politicians.

Haley is pretty much a laughing stock around the country at this point anyway that is mocked by leaders in other states for her willingness to throw absurd incentives at companies to get them to move there.

You nailed it. Haley and local leaders can tout job creation to get re-elected.

The Giti plant in Chester really was a nice get for that area, but the other two announcements really benefited nobody but the politicians.

Haley is pretty much a laughing stock around the country at this point anyway that is mocked by leaders in other states for her willingness to throw absurd incentives at companies to get them to move there.

And it doesn't help when you have the clueless local media write articles such as this, painting the picture that South Carolina is bringing all these jobs to the area: http://www.wccbcharlotte.com/news/local/Thousands-of-Jobs-Headed-to-the-Area-263384691.html. It makes no mention of the fact that these are just coming from 15 minutes up the road. 

Edited by wend28

Oh man do I hope they are right about that one. Landing Stone would be such a huge feather in the cap for the local craft scene. For a while now I have been thinking Charlotte could very well be the front runner since distribution is one of the main reasons for this new facility. Most of the other cities vying for it just don't quite compare to Charlotte in that area. And I'm sure a steadily maturing local craft scene will help sway their decision too.  

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone that ever doubted Wells Fargo's commitment to Charlotte after the Wachovia takeover, look no further than the increase in local employment here. Despite those mortgage related job cuts, they added over 1400 jobs in the last year. Current total employment base here is now 22,100. Not sure you ever saw that number in the Wachovia days. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2014/07/11/wells-fargos-impact-in-charlotte.html

• Like 2

^What I like even more than that was another article in CBJ that even though the overall number of people working in Finance/Banking in CLT is lower than it was pre-recession, other sectors have been growing and Finance/Banking represents 8% of our job base vs. 9% while we are nearing pre-recession unemployment rates. 

It may seem like a subtle change, but I think it bodes well for Charlotte's future that it is moving away from being just a one-sector economy (whether in reality or perception alone). 

• Like 1

^What I like even more than that was another article in CBJ that even though the overall number of people working in Finance/Banking in CLT is lower than it was pre-recession, other sectors have been growing and Finance/Banking represents 8% of our job base vs. 9% while we are nearing pre-recession unemployment rates. 

It may seem like a subtle change, but I think it bodes well for Charlotte's future that it is moving away from being just a one-sector economy (whether in reality or perception alone). 

I never considered CLT as a "one sector" economy. It is just that banking has been so big and powerful and dominating.  We have always been a huge transportation hub for trucking, a manufacturer of high-tech equipment (medical and dental equipt. just to name a couple) , NASCAR, retail (family dollar and others), food products, i.e. Lays and Lance, textiles, and energy. That seems rather diverse to me. 

∆ agree with your basic premise, but you'll note I specified perception issues. You, I, and the Chamber can know it's diversified, but there needs to be a telling of that story beyond us.

BTW we are not nearly diversified enough. There is almost no start up biz culture here, there is very little venture cap money for our businesses, the high tech scene is not much of a scene to be frank. This is not a knock on us but an honest assessment.

Hopefully the increases in the energy and engineering sectors will what will get us to the next level of balanced economy.

There is a perception that Charlotte is driven by banking which is good and bad.  I like to see our city listed as a large finance center but I would also like to see it expanding the employment base as it currently is doing. 

I agree that our start up culture could be better but the tech sector is stronger than it appears.  The problem that I see is that our city does not try to brand the tech sector.  Charleston has a  very small tech sector but has branded the city as Silicon Harbor in an attempt to make the city sound much better than reality.  For Charlotte, we need to be more aggressive in promoting this sector of the economy.  We are not the Triangle but the sector that is her is much larger than perception, especially if you start looking at the development work that happens at WFC, BA and others. 

Quicken Loans is hiring for 100 new local positions in mortgaging, servicing, technology and operations. Looks like they will in SouthPark (better than Ballantyne I suppose). I think we often get caught up in the McCrory or CLT Chamber dog and pony shows for job announcements when in fact many new jobs don't get press... After all, Wells Fargo never announced it was adding 1400 jobs over the last year. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/bank_notes/2014/07/lebrons-boss-is-hiring-in-charlotte-take-your.html

Quicken Loans is hiring for 100 new local positions in mortgaging, servicing, technology and operations. Looks like they will in SouthPark (better than Ballantyne I suppose). I think we often get caught up in the McCrory or CLT Chamber dog and pony shows for job announcements when in fact many new jobs don't get press... After all, Wells Fargo never announced it was adding 1400 jobs over the last year. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/bank_notes/2014/07/lebrons-boss-is-hiring-in-charlotte-take-your.html

That article could NOT have been cheesier, goodness. I get you kinda gotta spice things up but, "Dan Gilbert is looking for some free agents in Charlotte. Imagine working for the same boss as LeBron James." stopppppppppp

Edited by Jayvee

Please Join Us

Tuesday, July 22, 2014  {sodEmoji.|}  3 p.m.

The State of North Carolina and the Charlotte Chamber Invite You to Attend a Special Jobs Announcement.

Please plan to arrive no later than 2:45 p.m.

Charlotte Chamber of Commerce

330 S. Tryon St.

Belk Action Center [ First Floor ]

Its been a while since we have seen a chamber announcement. Anybody know anything? Given the absence of important folks from Raleigh I am not hugely hopeful....

Edited by kermit

McCrory should mean something substantiave.  Also, the fact that it is hosted at the Charlotte Chamber, usually means a new company to Charlotte (they usually hold these at existing company locations when they are just expansions).

Stone Brewery maybe?

McCrory should mean something substantiave.  Also, the fact that it is hosted at the Charlotte Chamber, usually means a new company to Charlotte (they usually hold these at existing company locations when they are just expansions).

Stone Brewery maybe?

I would be really doubtful about Stone but who knows.  

Edit:  It would be cool if it has to do with CIT Group moving HQ here. 

Edited by Urbanity

Here's the jobs announcement: Spectra Group, a financial-info tech consulting group to bring 250 jobs to Charlotte. $84k average salary. No word on where in the city though...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/bank_notes/2014/07/spectra-group-to-bring-250-financial-services-jobs.html?ana=twt

Edited by wend28
  • Like 1

^hmmm, despite them being in finance, it does not sounds like downtown is a sure thing:

The company intends to open a finance center in Charlotte

although I am parsing a very brief article a bit too much.

Edited by kermit

Interesting that a comment on the article says "Way to go Charlotte.....more high-end jobs coming to Charlotte along with new Bldg....!!!"  (bolded emphasis mine).

Is this someone (the commenter) just assuming/reaching?   

Edited by Urbanity