The Good News Report

atlrvr

Interesting that a comment on the article says "Way to go Charlotte.....more high-end jobs coming to Charlotte along with new Bldg....!!!"  (bolded emphasis mine).

Is this someone (the commenter) just assuming/reaching?   

Yea, I thought that was rather random... I'm guessing they were reaching. Though it would be nice if they were taking up space in a new building (cough, Tryon Place, cough) but not holding my breath. 

^hmmm, despite them being in finance, it does not sounds like downtown is a sure thing:

although I am parsing a very brief article a bit too much.

Per the Observer it's an uptown location: The information technology and financial services firm will announce plans to open an office in uptown, The Observer has learned.

Edited by wend28

Spectra Group, an information technology and financial services firm, will open a 12,864-square-foot office in BB&T Center in uptown Charlotte

Per Chamber press release.

Not much office space for 250 employees (50 sq ft per)

Edited by kermit

and now for round two: [emphasis is theirs, not mine]

~ Please Join Us ~
For a Significant Economic Development Jobs Announcement Presented by the State of North Carolina and the Charlotte Chamber.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014  {sodEmoji.|}  10 a.m.

Please plan to arrive no later than 9:45 a.m.
Charlotte Chamber of Commerce
330 S. Tryon St.
Belk Action Center [ First Floor ]

Edited by kermit

I would be really doubtful about Stone but who knows.  

Edit:  It would be cool if it has to do with CIT Group moving HQ here. 

^  Out with it...what do you know?

They've been hiring a couple dozen of tech positons here for sure, but it would be great with a bigger presence.

The Gov is probably spending the night at his own house...he still owns his house in Myers Park and comes back to Charlotte a decent amount.

^  Out with it...what do you know?

They've been hiring a couple dozen of tech positons here for sure, but it would be great with a bigger presence.

I wish it was based on anything.  It was actually just a pure blind dart thrown based on WSJ story today of them, hearing that they have been doing some local hiring, and knowing through a friend that there's been buzz about Livingston location not being necessary with 42nd street operations.    Then again I hear the same thing about UBS and Stamford every now and then.  

Good point though about Gov and Myers Park.

Edited by Urbanity

^I would be amazed if John Thain wanted to be within 200 miles of Charlotte. (unless he came down just to give Ken Lewis a tittytwister)

EDIT: In a story on the sales tax legislation tonight the CBJ said of the gov:

He is spending the night at his home in Charlotte and traveling back to Raleigh on Wednesday.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2014/07/governor-takes-wait-and-see-approach-on-meck-sales.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A%20charlotte_blog_queencity%20%28Charlotte%20Queen%20City%20Agenda%29&utm_term=%23cltcc%20&page=all

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

Quote from CBJ:

"It’s the largest Fortune 500 corporate headquarters relocation in the Queen City’s history.

One report says the jobs will carry an average salary of almost $120,000. Those positions will come from New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Wisconsin."

That's awesome!

• Like 3

Are they moving the HQ here?   I ask rhetorically (until 10) as the list of places they are moving the positions from + the average salary doesn't seem to match the product "Sealed Air Corp., a Fortune 500 company known for making Bubble Wrap"

Never mind - I didn't see rjp212 CBJ citation!
Edited by Urbanity

Are they moving the HQ here?   I ask rhetorically (until 10) as the list of places they are moving the positions from + the average salary doesn't seem to match the product "Sealed Air Corp., a Fortune 500 company known for making Bubble Wrap"

CBJ says they are moving their Global Headquarters here.  

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/outside_the_loop/2014/07/sealed-air-corp-to-bring-1-262-jobs-to-charlotte.html

• Like 2

From a tweet: https://twitter.com/rmorriscbj/status/491935357949452288

"@rmorriscbj: Sealed Air HQ capital investment: $58 million. company will lease space initially, according to @TBJrealestate who is covering in Raleigh."

Implies that there may be a new building in our future. Fingers crossed its not in bollywood.

An earlier Chamber tweet mentioned a 'hat trick' of announcements this week. There may be one more ahead.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

Implies that there may be a new building in our future. Fingers crossed its not in bollywood.

An earlier Chamber tweet mentioned a 'hat trick' of announcements this week. There may be one more ahead.

Agreed about hopes for Uptown location.   If even half of Portman maybe that's enough to get that to rise - it's a great place for a corporate logo on a building.

Here's hoping you are right about maybe another announcement.

Is 1200 people enough to be an anchor tenant for a project like Portman?? Say they move here, lease space eventually but agree to anchor Portman to get that project going. Is that a possible scenario?

It's certainly enough to be an anchor tenant in that building. Though a question for the board, aren't packaging corps typically office park type companies? Don't get me wrong, would love to see these guys anchor one of the proposed uptown towers.

Edited by wend28