The Good News Report

atlrvr

I am hoping that if any of the projects get significantly delayed or canceled, it will be the Portman Tower. Based on the renderings, it has all the architectural appeal of a refrigerator. (Actually I secretly hope the Portman Tower is canceled and the 40 story One Charlotte Tower is revived in some form)

I have a hard time seeing, though, any tenant waiting for 3 or 4 years on a space unless it was a local company with a lease expiring in 5 years or so. I still think Duke Energy is the best candidate to consolidate offices with leases in around 5 years to jump start Tryon Place.

Edit: just a little wish, I hope the 3rd announcement involves American Airlines today

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Didn't even think about that! How amazing would that be: American Airlines announced a complete HQ move to Charlotte jumpstarting Tryon Place as AA will be the anchor tenant....we all can dream right?

The AA Place... I like the sound of that haha

I'm guessing this is it:

Hitachi Opens New Charlotte Ink Research and Development Center

Hitachi America, Ltd. announced today the opening of its ink research and development facility in north Charlotte. The new facility, located at 5900 Northwoods Parkway, will initially employ five people.

http://charlottechamber.com/index.php?src=news&refno=5237&category=Economic+Development+News

Slow and steady wins the race.  These announcements (big and small) just give more credence that this is still a good work environment.  And bit by bit (even though I'm still part of the big old banking industry) we will diversify the job base here.  Which, I believe, in turn will attract more companies that either want to relocate or shift larger portions of the workforce here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On the speculation front, Time Warner Cable has filed a rezoning petition to allow 3 more office buildings (total > 700k sf) and 2 parking decks to be built on their current corporate campus site on W Arrowood.

This should allow almost 3,000 more workers.  Currently, they could only build 1 of the 3 buildings, so a portion of this expansion could accomodate previously announced growth plans here that they've made, but it still seems like 2,000 or so new jobs are at least considered over the longer term.

I was worried that Comcast buying TWC in the Carolinas would move some of those jobs out of there, but maybe they will grow in Charlotte instead.

Just as Chiquita Brands International Inc. (NYSE:CQB) is looking to complete its acquisition of Fyffes plc, a Brazil-based juice seller and a Brazilian investment firm are working to buy Chiquita.

Cutrale Group and Safra Group are offering $610.5 million in cash for Chiquita. Shares of Chiquita stock immediately rose 30 percent on news of the Cutrale-Safra bid.

Cutrale and Safra say the bid for Chiquita has been sent to Chiquita’s board of directors.

Kim Noland, director of high yield research at Gimme Credit, writes that the bid offers some new and interesting alternatives to the Chiquita-Fyffes deal.

"The new proposal is not subject to financing and could close in similar timeframe as Fyffes by year end," she writes in an email statement.

The Cutrale-Safra bid seems to be offered as an alternative to the Fyffes deal. In a news release about the offer, the companies write that their deal could be accomplished "without the execution risk and uncertainty inherent in that transaction."

In March, Chiquita announced its offer to buy Ireland-based Fyffes and to base the headquarters in Dublin. Chiquita moved to Charlotte in 2012 and promised to keep the headquarters in Charlotte for 10 years in exchange for about $23 million in incentives.

Chiquita has said it expects to close on the Fyffes deal by the end of the year.

^Not if outside Mecklenburg County

Technically anything you buy mail order you are supposed to pay "sales" tax on.

http://www.dornc.com/faq/use.html#use

If you buy it or use it in the state (and county if there is an additional % on the sales and use tax) you are supposed to pay tax on it. It can be done by the seller but if not it is your responsibility to ensure it is paid.