The Good News Report

atlrvr

Seven Charlotte-area companies made the "Inc. 500" list for fastest growing privately owned companies in the US. Boxman Studios continues to experience rapid growth with 3,074% revenue increase over the past three years.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/08/20/seven-charlotte-area-companies-make-inc-500-list.html

PropertyShark lists Charlotte #9 out 20 U.S. Cities for Culture: Cultural Venues Density per City Population

http://www.propertyshark.com/Real-Estate-Reports/2014/07/28/top-20-u-s-cities-for-culture-cultural-venues-density-per-city-population/

This might be the first time in recent memory I have seen a list without Austin in it...

• Like 1

Just saw this tweet from WJZY:@FOX46CAROLINAS  JUST IN: Fortune 500 Company Expected to Bring 1,200 New Jobs to Charlotte

I think this might be a little misleading though. Sealed Air's business grants were approved tonight by City Council. If you remember, it's a Fortune 500 co relocation with 1,200 jobs. So, could be nothing new at all. Otherwise, it would be all over the local news.

Just saw this tweet from WJZY:@FOX46CAROLINAS  JUST IN: Fortune 500 Company Expected to Bring 1,200 New Jobs to Charlotte

I think this might be a little misleading though. Sealed Air's business grants were approved tonight by City Council. If you remember, it's a Fortune 500 co relocation with 1,200 jobs. So, could be nothing new at all. Otherwise, it would be all over the local news.

Only a month late...

http://www.myfoxcarolinas.com/story/26367199/charlotte-city-council-approves-business-grant

WJZY has - in it's short existence as the FOX affiliate - proven to be the laughing stock of the local news scene. And yes, it's that bad.

They're not even an affiliate, they're actually run by Fox corporate. One of 18 or so stations in the country like that, I think. I don't know about laughing stock, though; they're obviously working with a tiny budget, and I kind of like the way they're trying to do something different with their broadcasts. Now, as far as their actual news coverage...maybe that's lacking. But it's an interesting way of doing local news.

Edited by Windsor Parkitect

They're not even an affiliate, they're actually run by Fox corporate. One of 18 or so stations in the country like that, I think. I don't know about laughing stock, though; they're obviously working with a tiny budget, and I kind of like the way they're trying to do something different with their broadcasts. Now, as far as their actual news coverage...maybe that's lacking. But it's an interesting way of doing local news.

I refuse to watch. After what Fox did to WCCB by buying their competitor and taking away their affiliation they can do without my viewership.

WJZY has - in it's short existence as the FOX affiliate - proven to be the laughing stock of the local news scene. And yes, it's that bad.

Yeah their 10pm show, when I do catch it, feels like a high school production.

However their morning show's production value is on par with other Charlotte stations. It really is night and day (haha pun intended).

Yeah their 10pm show, when I do catch it, feels like a high school production.

However their morning show's production value is on par with other Charlotte stations. It really is night and day (haha pun intended).

But who's not a Jon Dick fan? haha

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/outside_the_loop/2014/09/electrolux-has-3-3b-deal-to-buy-ge-s-appliance.html

This is great news for the Charlotte HQ!!! "Those plans are expected to boost the Charlotte headquarters' employee count to 1,600 by 2016 from the current 925. Jack Truong heads the Electrolux Major Appliances North America."

Maybe they'll need some space uptown and would REALLY like to anchor a new building, like oh I dunno Portman or Tryon Place (I know they have a brand new campus but hey, a guy can dream)

Edited by Jayvee

I think they'll stick to UCity.

I actually think its a great thing though. UCity was struggling for a while, but URP is really blowing up right now. If that parcel that Johnny Harris bought from BoA ever amounts to anything (he said he had visions of Ballantyne North) then it will do great things for the University Area. Not necessarily from an urban perspective, but high income job growth will help keep UCity from becoming blighted.

I think they'll stick to UCity.

I actually think its a great thing though. UCity was struggling for a while, but URP is really blowing up right now. If that parcel that Johnny Harris bought from BoA ever amounts to anything (he said he had visions of Ballantyne North) then it will do great things for the University Area. Not necessarily from an urban perspective, but high income job growth will help keep UCity from becoming blighted.

Yeah it's a pipe dream that they come uptown, but yes it is definitely a fantastic thing for Charlotte in general.

It seems like finally Charlotte will be benefiting from mergers/acquisitions side of things; lately there hasn't been much good news where Charlotte has without a doubt benefited (i.e. US Airways, Chiquita, Family Dollar) 

Louisville will definitely fight hard to keep there jobs but it doesn't really make sense to keep all the managerial positions there; although the combined company will still keep the GE appliances brand apparently so we shall see how much of an impact that will have. Apparently the combined division will have approximately 75% of the market...

It seems like finally Charlotte will be benefiting from mergers/acquisitions side of things; lately there hasn't been much good news where Charlotte has without a doubt benefited (i.e. US Airways, Chiquita, Family Dollar) 

Louisville will definitely fight hard to keep there jobs but it doesn't really make sense to keep all the managerial positions there; although the combined company will still keep the GE appliances brand apparently so we shall see how much of an impact that will have. Apparently the combined division will have approximately 75% of the market...

Wow...that is considerably larger than I suspected.

Also, you unfortunately left Harris Teeter off as another loss as a result of a merger (even if it didn't really mean the loss of many, if any, jobs).

Reading a Louisville news artile, there are 2,200 corporate type of jobs.

Looks like Amazon will be opening its first North Carolina distribution center in Concord. No word  yet on number of jobs, etc as Amazon hasn't made the official announcement.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/09/09/5161396/amazon-to-open-distribution-center.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#.VA8gz_ldV8E