The Good News Report

atlrvr

Apparently they need some space to put the people for their new HQ in Charlotte until their space in Crescent's new "One TIAA Center" is complete...  Just kidding...and throwing fodder on the rumor fire.

I actually think their is a decent chance they move their HQ here eventually, but it'll be in UCity. Their campus is massive and awesome. They also have a lot of room left to expand it. I think the original structure was $100,000,000 on its own.

I actually think their is a decent chance they move their HQ here eventually, but it'll be in UCity. Their campus is massive and awesome. They also have a lot of room left to expand it. I think the original structure was $100,000,000 on its own.

I think you are correct.  My understanding is that their retail banks is (or is going to be) HQ'd in their U City location.  I know they were trying to launch this a few years back, but I never heard that it officially launched.  Does anyone else know?

A friend of mine works for TIAA-CREF and just recently took a new job with them in Ballantyne... He lives in NoDa so of course he despises the commute. He did indicate that the company is doing a massive amount of expansion in Charlotte. Some jobs are relos others are just organic job increases. Wouldn't be surprised if one day they did put their HQ here, but as Niner National indicated it won't be in the Center City. It will be U-City. 

So...there is another set of meetings this week for City/County in closed session.  The county meeting on Tuesday specifically indentifies the agenda item as relating to economic incentives for a expanding or relocating business.

The City meeting on Monday just refers to a closed session (closed sessions can be Econ Dev, legal issues, HR matters, or land price negotations).  Usually there are no closes sessions on the 1st meeting of the month, and they reserve it to the 2nd and 4th Mondays. 

The timing is interesting, and possibly implies a bigger deal (which usually are more time sensative).  I doubt it would be further discussions on Synchrony, unless they came back demanding a bigger package.

Hopefully we learn something later this week.

in hindsight could this have been about Heath Morrison? Or would that have been confined to the School Board on Monday?

in hindsight could this have been about Heath Morrison? Or would that have been confined to the School Board on Monday?

I don't think so, as the County closed session specificially mentioned economic development incentives, and as mentioned above, the City closed session was not specifically disclosed what the discussion would be about, but unlikely to have much of a say in Heath.

Aside from that, this coming Monday the city IS discussing econ develop incentives per their agenda, so either it was deferred, or a 2nd project, or they are just now taking up what the county discussed this past week.

Does anyone remember that the CEO of US Bank was here last week and talked about growth?

Talk from The TopRichard Davis, U.S. Bancorp CEO

Friday, October 17, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Since buying Wachovia’s corporate trust business in 2005, U.S. Bancorp, better known as U.S. Bank, has expanded in Charlotte to about 300 employees. ‘I don’t see any limit on how big we can get,’ said U.S. Bancorp CEO Ric...

My vote is here.

This may be unrelated, but I just heard from a friend that US Bank is adding a few people for some non-trust stuff, which is the first I've heard of them hiring for that here.

Chamber Press release dujour:

Bürkert Fluid Control Systems announced today its plans for a new advanced manufacturing facility in the town of Huntersville. The facility, a 120,000-square-foot building, will be constructed on Mount Holly-Huntersville Road. Bürkert plans to invest approximately $23 million over the next five years and create 61 new jobs.

We are killin it with the German branch plants.

Good news for us in Huntersville scoring a Relocation with the help of Mecklenburg incentives from Charlotte.

Well, it's 61 more jobs & 23 million in investment at least.

"Bükert Fluid Control Systems will move its Charlotte operations to a planned $23 million building in Huntersville and add 61 jobs."

http://m.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/outside_the_loop/2014/11/b-rkert-to-add-61-jobs-in-23m-move-to-huntersville.html"]http://m.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/outside_the_loop/2014/11/b-rkert-to-add-61-jobs-in-23m-move-to-huntersville.html

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

I'll start by saying I have 0 knowledge about anything related to BMW, but it seems reasonable that they would be interested in Charlotte. We are close to their manufacturing facility in Greenville and have a much lower cost of business than NJ. We have a fair number of German companies already operating here and direct flights to Munich and Frankfurt.

All of the same things can also be said about Atlanta though. I think they'll eventually move out of NJ and it seems that Charlotte and Atlanta would be the most logical choices.

It would be pretty sweet to have a tower in Uptown with a big BMW logo on it though. 

File under "shameless rumor mongering"

I'll admit that I scoffed when I saw our discussions of BMW (particularly when it became clear than we all conjured it up). However, I heard, second hand, that a former (but still well connected) city council member has said that BMW has been shopping around Charlotte (and other places). My source is reasonably reliable, knows the former CC member well and is not a UP reader. 

Sorry about the lack of substance here, I am following up. But I thought the coincidence was interesting enough to stir the pot a little.

very very eeeeenteresting

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-morning-shift-our-one-stop-daily-roundup-o-1658771171

I want to applaud Cadillac for this choice — even if it's just window dressing and most of the decisions will be made in Warren and the RennCen as they already. Most luxury automakers are in Jersey now, and not NYC, which makes no sense other than the no sense it makes to have a car company in a place where you can scarcely drive (although I hear one German automaker is looking for office space in the American south and possibly leaving NJ).

Same contact that told me information about Tryon Place that led to my crude MS Paint drawings/descriptions is also saying they hear the noise of BMW is legitimate.  But along the same lines as Niner National's post that was quoted a few messages up.  It's not just Charlotte but also Atlanta or even Greenville due to proximity to their plant.  I could see Atlanta being a threat as they also have direct flights to Munich, but Greenville was kind of surprising.

Same contact that told me information about Tryon Place that led to my crude MS Paint drawings/descriptions is also saying they hear the noise of BMW is legitimate.  But along the same lines as Niner National's post that was quoted a few messages up.  It's not just Charlotte but also Atlanta or even Greenville due to proximity to their plant.  I could see Atlanta being a threat as they also have direct flights to Munich, but Greenville was kind of surprising.

Wow, this is insanely exciting......Tryon Place looks beautiful as is but throw that BMW logo on there.......wow. In regards to the flights to Munich, don't we have a direct flight to Munich too on Lufthansa?

Edited by Jayvee

BMW will almost certainly want new space.  Porsche is building a new HQ in suburban Atlanta that will have a driving course adjacent to the HQ.

Not sure BMW would feel the need to do that, but certainly a place where they could display new models and a mini-museum.  Their Munich HQ is a suburban highrise, with a museum built into the bottom few floors.

BMW will almost certainly want new space.  Porsche is building a new HQ in suburban Atlanta that will have a driving course adjacent to the HQ.

Not sure BMW would feel the need to do that, but certainly a place where they could display new models and a mini-museum.  Their Munich HQ is a suburban highrise, with a museum built into the bottom few floors.

OMG that would be so cool uptown. What are the chances!!? No suburbs though!

Based on atlrvr's post... I wonder if the developers for Tryon Place are in fact talking to BMW, would they shift their original plans around a little to accommodate a museum to showcase their cars? I have no idea what kind of space would be needed for such a thing but if it meant landing BMW, my guess would be yes. Then you could almost guarantee the hotel component would be high end as well.