The Good News Report

atlrvr

Soo...Synchrony Financial.

125 management jobs paying $125k on avg and 275 call center jobs payin $27k on average.  They are being spun off of GE Capital.  Someone wanted a web-based banking company, so congrats!

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/10/28/5273457/city-considers-incentives-for.html

No indication if this is corporate HQ, or if mgmt jobs are just general corporate positions, but HQ elsewhere....I'm hopeful for HQ.

Based on the CBJ article today (and the fact there are now jobs posted on Syncrhony's site for Charlotte) it looks like this is a done deal.  Taking the old AXA building on Rusmore Dr in Ballantyne (this was one of the first buildings built in Ballantyne). 

Call center is underwhelming, but 125 management jobs paying $125k on average is nothing to sneeze at.    There is no HQ relocation involved, though.

RingCentral Inc. (NYSE:RNG) plans to hire as many as 100 people in Charlotte over the next three years as it ramps up its East Coast sales office uptown.

Based in San Mateo, Calif., RingCentral provides cloud-based business phone systems that are geared toward "today's mobile, distributed and always-on work world," according to a news release issued by the Charlotte Chamber on Thursday.

"We chose Charlotte because of its vibrant flair and the great talent pool in the area," said Ryan Azus, the company's senior vice president of worldwide sales for RingCentral, in the release. "The combination of lower business costs, direct flights and proximity to our customers made uptown Charlotte the perfect location for our East Coast U.S. business."

The company's website lists local openingsfor account executives and senior account executives.

A chamber spokeswoman says the company is still finalizing details of its specific location.

The chamber, Charlotte Center City Partners and the Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina have worked together with RingCentral on the site-selection process.

^  Nice.  Looking at news on their Denver office, it looks like Ring Central reached 100 people in about 3 years there, and then moved to bigger space in anticipation of doubling its size, so a high growth company for sure.

In more good news...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/outside_the_loop/2014/12/flynn-burner-to-bring-headquarters-45-jobs-to.html

Flynn Burner Corp. of New Rochelle, N.Y., will bring 45 jobs to Iredell County as it moves its headquarters and production facility to Mooresville.

The combustion and oven-control systems company will move into an existing 51,200-square-foot building in Mooresville Business Park. It expects to spend about $3 million to relocate.

US Bank just leased another floor at the Hearst Tower that could accomodate 75-100 more people.  It should be ready by 2Q15 for occupancy.  More organic growth in the finance sector.

Meck Times is finally catching up on this with a very short blurb today. I have quoted it nearly in its entirity:

U.S. Bank has expanded the amount of space it’s leasing in the Hearst Tower to 81,424 square feet, adding 24,000 square feet on the 35th floor of the 47-floor, 1.6 million-square-foot building.

Hat tip to atlrvr for keeping us ahead of the curve!

Edited by kermit

"We chose Charlotte because of its vibrant flair and the great talent pool in the area," said Ryan Azus, the company's senior vice president of worldwide sales...

"Vibrant flair" is not a term you would have seen used as a plausible description of Charlotte 10 years ago, maybe not even 5. Seems like things are starting to build on each other & have a kind of multiplier effect. Great to see.

• Like 2

Am I reading this correctly?  Toshiba is going to merge all its US power businesses (including Westinghouse that it owns) into 1 business, and that is going to be located here in Charlotte?

http://nuclearstreet.com/nuclear_power_industry_news/b/nuclear_power_news/archive/2014/12/09/toshiba-to-merge-westinghouse-electric-with-toshiba-america-nuclear-energy-and-toshiba-international-120902.aspx

The article mentions the creation of 500 jobs, but its very loose on details.

Sounds like this would be major major major news if Charlotte is now the US HQ for all of Toshiba power.

Edit...also this.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20141204006604/en/Toshiba-Reinforces-Power-Systems-Business-North-America

Which seems to confirm it will likely be HQed in the Charlotte, but not all of Westinghouse is included, just the Steam Turbine and Generator group.  Also, total group employment will be 500 jobs, but not necessarily new jobs.

Still, even if job gains are minimal, consolidation in Charlotte seems to be a net win.

• Like 3

I was going to ask DMann if he were implying something, or just making a statement.  Westinghouse offices are in the Steele Creek area, and Toshiba I believe is in Ballantyne area, so my assumption is suburban as well....but if someone knows differently, please don't hold back.

^ first thing that popped into my head was ecommerce, your thought about banking makes much more sense.

Walmat is also exploring non credit card payment options for ecommerce, at the moment this effort is limited to paying cash at a store for your online order. It would be awfully cool if they were looking at a broader system for interweb transactions (a branded secured credit card etc.) and they decided to do that here. (I am just daydreaming here -- please forgive the indulgence).

The great thing with these foot-holds, is assuming that this isn't just a completely stand-alone subsidiary, is that I find it likely that people at their HQ will raise their hand to relocate to a Charlotte office, and their corporate presence grows here greatly over time.

I, too, hope its with mobile payments, ecommerce, banking, etc....something that helps develop those niches here.

Walmart has had a Charlotte presence for years.  It is just a very small presence.  I have worked with at least one Walmart Attorney that was based out of their South Charlotte location (8701 Red Oak Blvd.).  They likely will always have a presence here due to the logistics industry in Charlotte.  I wonder if this is also a relocation of their current CLT employees, and so the space for new employees is actually less than 150k.    

I would not count on anyone relocating from AR, to be in Charlotte, at least anyone that wants a successful career at Walmart.  They are very set on Bentonville, and to succeed in an HQ role, it is very clear you need to be there.

Now, if they did get significantly into banking and e-payments, then I could see an operations center here, but the HQ would always be AR.  The article does say that the space is for a new operation.

^I don't think anyone was implying that Walmart would move their HQ here (at least I didn't read it that way). I think it was more basing some operation here such as a mobile banking unit, or something to that effect. That I could see. I agree that Walmart is embedded in Arkansas. 

WSJ is reporting that:

Executives are considering Atlanta and several cities in North Carolina, according to two people briefed on the matter. A variety of tax-incentive packages are being reviewed, although details have yet to be released. Mercedes-Benz USA, a division of Daimler AG , has been based in Montvale since 1972.

I suspect that Charlotte is merely a stalking horse, in large part due to flight availability. (although we do have the Freightliner plant just up the road....).

The question on my mind is did everyone who heard "German auto maker" rumors a month ago wrongly assume BMW, or are both big German manufacturers sniffing around?

Edited by kermit

Worth pointing out that Daimler trucks, a sister company to Mercedes Benz has a major manufacturing presence in [Cleveland in Rowan] Cleveland County

Edit: upon further looking up, there's more than that, too. Freightliner production in Rowan and Gaston counties, Chassis production in Gaffney

Edited by tozmervo