The Good News Report

atlrvr

There are reports from the Observer that it could infact be the RadioShack HQ relocation to Charlotte... Hundreds of new jobs for Charlotte. Of course we all take what the O says with a grain of salt sometimes. But it said there are reports the announcement is coming from the electronics industry.

EDIT: Ok, so now they are saying it may be Electrolux. Apparently they are consolidating all their offices into one: international sales office in Pittsburgh, the holding company office in Cleveland, financial support offices in Columbus, Ohio, and Springfield, Tenn., and a design center in Anderson, S.C.

Edited by dbull75

This indirectly could be good for Uptown as well. Since Electrolux will be moving into the old First Charter Bank HQ (now Fifth Third)...those Fifth Third jobs will be moving uptown. Any speculation as to which building? Maybe the old Wachovia Bldg 400 S Tryon?

Or could this fuel the speculation to go ahead and start building 300 South Tryon? :)

They could go to the old Wachovia building like you mentioned though. Any idea on how many employees 5/3 would move to uptown?

I didn't even think of 400 S Tryon as I was mulling 5/3's options, but that makes sense, as Duke will clear out of a lot of space in early 2010, plus it is a great building for signage, which I know they want. I was also considering 101 N Tryon (Independence Center). I suppose 201 S Tryon works as well as Wachovia will be moving those people out at somepoint.

I wonder if they are still considering anchoring a new development, in which case they could sublease space in the meantime. Unfortunately, they would need to commit to a lot more than 100,000 sq. ft. to get any new building out of the ground.

To answer the employment question they are moving 150-175 employees Uptown.

The News and Observer has an interesting piece about Project Cardinal and Project Prince which they are hoping will land in Raleigh.

Project Prince is widely thought to be RadioShack. A RadioShack representative said in e-mail that the company does not normally discuss rumors or speculation.

The company behind Project Cardinal is thought to be the Federal National Mortgage Association, or Fannie Mae. Brian Faith, a spokesman for Fannie Mae, said this month that the company has no intention of moving its Washington headquarters.

"I had heard that some people are saying that we're moving the whole company to Raleigh but that isn't the case," he said. "In terms of other staffing decisions and whatnot, I'm not at liberty to comment right now."

http://www.newsobser...ory/244703.html

Edited by Urbanity

The News and Observer has an interesting piece about Project Cardinal and Project Prince which they are hoping will land in Raleigh.

While the triangle has much to offer I would be surprised if Radio Shack ended up there. The nature of their business (interacting with dozens of different vendors) suggests (to me) that proximity to an airport with more destinations than RDU will be high on their list.

Edited by kermit

A different news article that identified Fannie Mae as Project Cardinal included the clarifying point that it was a different Project Cardinal than what is proposed in Charlotte. The Charlotte project definitely involves manufacturing.

I am curious as to why Fannie Mae didn't chose Charlotte to short list, but it is probably back-office and IT jobs that are typical of what goes to Raleigh.

A different news article that identified Fannie Mae as Project Cardinal included the clarifying point that it was a different Project Cardinal than what is proposed in Charlotte. The Charlotte project definitely involves manufacturing.

Yeah, I don't think Fannie Mae needs a rail siding. :rolleyes:

In the overall move by Duke Energy to the DEC, I would think that the facility on College and MLK will be vacated and the data center moved to the current Duke site on Church and Stonewall. That College Street site would make for a better location for a convention center hotel, or other potential developments.

I still think the former IJL building is the most likely candidate for 5/3, not only newer, but closer to the center of town.

DMann

<br />I see the project cardinal posts going on this thread and I aslo heard about Electrolux relocating here. Was Electrolux project cardnila or is something else coming here?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Electrolux is not project Cardinal, Project Cardinal is a unnamed manufacturing operation that plans a move/expansion here.

Not sure if this is the same company as "Project Cardinal", but it sounds eerily similar. Macon, GA is apparently one of two finalists for what they are deeming "Project Q"...

"Mystery company might build huge center in Bibb, GA:

Bibb County, GA is on the short list for a company looking to build a new manufacturing and distribution center.

The 1 million-square-foot facility would be built in two phases..."

http://www.macon.com/102/story/954970.html

Also, I've seen a number of articles speculating that "Project Q" in Macon, GA is actually a manufacturing/distribution facility for Boeing. 1 million-square-feet. Phase I to be completed in 2011 and the overall project done by 2013.

http://skylineviews.typepad.com/skyline_views/2009/12/mystery-macon-project-tied-to-boeing.html

Again, no clue if they are the same project...just speculating.

<br />Also, I've seen a number of articles speculating that &quot;Project Q&quot; in Macon, GA is actually a manufacturing/distribution facility for Boeing. 1 million-square-feet. Phase I to be completed in 2011 and the overall project done by 2013.<br /><br /><a href='http://skylineviews.typepad.com/skyline_views/2009/12/mystery-macon-project-tied-to-boeing.html' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://skylineviews....-to-boeing.html</a><br /><br />Again, no clue if they are the same project...just speculating.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Also not the same project, People have speculated companies along the lines of Siemens and Westinghouse

I was watching WCNC news tonight and the reporter said that Bev Perdue will be in Charlotte tomorrow making a big job announcement. Could this be Project Cardinal or maybe Radio Shack?

Bev's schedule says the press conference is actually in Concord (which makes either of the above possibilities unlikely)

http://www.governor.state.nc.us/NewsItems/Calendar.aspx