Detroit Mexicantown

Ivory Tower

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It HAS improved in the last 10 years.

For example, the rowhouse in the pic was abandoned for quite a long time.

A few other things along with it has obviously been fixed up instead of being razed.

It is one of the best communitys in Detroit when it comes to business investment and home investment and is quite family orientated.

One of the citys crown jewels.

The only problem is that part of the neighborhood is cut off from the downtown area on Bagley due to the Fisher freeway(I-75).

I have no idea why they didn't build an overpass.

If you look at pics 7-9 closely, you can see what I mean.

The area would be much better if it was connected to downtown better. If I had it my way, I-375 and the Davison would be filled in and replaced with avenues, and all the freeways downtown and midtown would be capped. But I doubt that'll happen anytime soon. If anything like that did happen, it would be capping I-75 between 375 & the Lodge to reconnect downtown to midtown. A few years ago, MDOT wanted to fill in the Davison and replace it with an avenue, but some people convinced them to rebuild it as a freeway. Shortly thereafter, MDOT reconstructed the interchange at I-96 and Davison, so it would not be that much work to extend the Davison to 96 as originally planned. Another freeway is the last thing this city needs. Just as long as MDOT doesn't then proceed to extend the Davison up Mound Road as was planned years ago....

Archived