Homeowners Association - Revert to City Ownership

trongrr

I had a person ask me a question about reversion of a home owners association (HOA) to city 'control' and can't find an answer via the Grand Rapids Municipal Code, and thought someone here might have an answer, or point me in the right direction

SITUATION:

An established HOA within the city limits of Grand Rapids wishes to dissolve the current HOA where each stand alone condo unit would be responsible for their own property maintenance (inside and out), and turn over the roadway to the City of Grand Rapids. The development is built to standard roadway width and has a sidewalk installed throughout.

Two questions:

Does this sort of thing happen (turning over the roadway to the city)?

Is there a provision for this to occur in the code?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had a person ask me a question about reversion of a home owners association (HOA) to city 'control' and can't find an answer via the Grand Rapids Municipal Code, and thought someone here might have an answer, or point me in the right direction

SITUATION:

An established HOA within the city limits of Grand Rapids wishes to dissolve the current HOA where each stand alone condo unit would be responsible for their own property maintenance (inside and out), and turn over the roadway to the City of Grand Rapids. The development is built to standard roadway width and has a sidewalk installed throughout.

Two questions:

I believe your answer is addressed in the Michigan Condominium Act. Condominiums are recorded very similar to platted land. There are ways to amend a plat called "replatting" and I'm sure there's a way to amend a condominium as well. I do know that for a condo association to sell additional right of way to the road commission, all the condo owners have to sign. I'm guessing amending a condominium would require all owners to agree and sign. Plus the city would have to agree to take ownership of the roadway and right of way. I can tell you the Kent County Road Commission has never taken over a road as a public road that was designed and built as a private road to begin with. I would think the City would come to the same conclusion.

SITUATION:

Two questions:

My guess is the "road" needs some extensive / expensive repair and the association wants to give it to the city to avoid the expense. If I got a "consulting fee" for every property owner on a private road that I've talked to over the years that wanted to give their road to the road commission, I'd have a good chunk of change by now. :P . Developers choose the private road route to build the road cheaper ie narrower, car traffic loadings vs truck loadings, etc., all which affect the life of the road. There's no road built that eventually won't need repair.

My guess is the "road" needs some extensive / expensive repair and the association wants to give it to the city to avoid the expense. If I got a "consulting fee" for every property owner on a private road that I've talked to over the years that wanted to give their road to the road commission, I'd have a good chunk of change by now. :P . Developers choose the private road route to build the road cheaper ie narrower, car traffic loadings vs truck loadings, etc., all which affect the life of the road. There's no road built that eventually won't need repair.

Archived