New growth cities need new CBDs

NcSc74

What happens to smalltown that suddenly goes through a growth spurt. You get cities like Greenville and Jacksonville. I think both cities have populations around 80k. But a couple of decades ago the were just large towns. Now they are sprawled out with CBDs that reflect their smaller past. I think both cities should consider zoning areas for a new business district that relfects the cities population and try to capture some kind of urbanity. Here is the perfect chance for cities like these to reverse current trends and actually try a better brand of new urbanism. I am sure it can be done on a small scale at first with room to grow. I know this is just a pipe dream but I hope someone out there has enough vision to have at least thought about it. I know this is NC and this drags its feet in regards to city infrastructure and urbanity(more on that later). It also could be a great marketing tool for the region so there is some kind commercial value to this idea. Anyone else think so...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do towns like these need new CBD's? Why not just expand the traditional downtowns they already have? The core infrastructure is already there, the familiarity with residents is there, etc. There's really no substituting for a traditional downtown.

• 3 weeks later...

What many people may not realize is that the CBDs in almost every large city overtook their small town roots. Neighborhoods were consumed by commercial land uses. Obviously in these smaller towns with less historic infrastructure it takes more effort, but I agree that the existing downtowns could and should be utilized for this purpose.

This sounds good. I would like to see a better blend of new urbanity but yet keeping its historic downtown. Perhaps branching out of the "old CBD" and a new CBD expands from there. It could even become a sort of district of sorts. I hope they don't follow Charlotte all the way and destroy their buildings. It would have been nice if we still kept NC's first ever skyscraper.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazing.... almost scary. Morrisville has officially been consumed by The Blob (aka Cary) :D.

Seriously though, it's interesting how Morrisville's downtown (minus the horrible congestion) is remniscent of those tiny NC towns one passes through when taking the "backroads" to the beach.

A good example of a fast growing town that had no business district to speak of is Morrisville NC. 15,000 people now, 5,800 in 2000. 1022 in 1990. "Downtown" is a volunteer fire department, town hall and about 20 houses. An active rail line runs through town.

Archived