Old S&W building at Park Rd Shopping Center to come down

swampfox43

Anyone that's been in Charlotte long enough (and I know there are a few here) has probably seen this building which sits across from the Park Terrace Theater. One of the original buildings built at the shopping center in the early 60's as an S&W cafeteria. It was also home to a Casagalardo's Mexican restaurant, a Champ's (did I miss any?) and finally a Quaker Steak & Lube which has been closed for over a year now.

McDonald's has bought the building and will be tearing it down to put up, you guessed it, a McDonald's. They will be closing the one at the Pop Shoppe on the corner. Surveyors are out there today making preparations.

I am a little disappointed that a tennant couldn't be found that was willing to keep the building intact. Lot of fond memories as a kid going to the cafeteria with my parents.

By Fall, the shopping center will also be home to a Flying Bisciut, just 2 doors down from Blackhawk Hardware.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yuck. I wonder if Charlotte has any ped overlays or anything that would require the golden arches to building anything remotely attractive there. The Ghazi project across the street makes a lukewarm attempt at this at least.

As far as the building itself, I too ate there as a kid, but when it was the mexican place I think. The building has been through too many remodels to be of much architectural worth I am afraid.

It's amazing that nothing ever worked there though the last attempt was absolutely stupid: Nascar-themed high end food. Seriously -- and that was what they put on the banner across the place -- Quaker Food and Lube or something like that.

We used to go to Casa Gallardo all the time when I was little for the Mexican buffet

I think it's more of a location factor than the actual business. Quaker Steak and Lube actually is a very profitable business with locations all over the East coast and Midwest, including one in Ontario. They are really known for their wings and wing sauces.

There was another sports bar type joint there after Champ's, but before Quaker Steak as I remember they filmed scenes from Talladega Nights there. And those three incarnations have all been within the past four or five years.

Its a bummer Mcdonalds is going there, but not surprising given their push back into the closer in mkts (note the old Boston Mkt on 51).

Couldn't figure out why a decent mid range sit down restaurant/bar couldn't fare better here. The only real competition is from SP and Dilworth/East Blvd, which are generally more $$$. Other than that u have to go own to 51.

Archived