The Arcade

It's still alive as previously mentioned, I was told a while back that there should be some news/announcement by the end of the year. I haven't heard anything to indicate there had been any change of plans, anyway.

I, too, keep hearing rumors about an imminent, multi-use project. I've assumed all along that it may be this.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, too, keep hearing rumors about an imminent, multi-use project. I've assumed all along that it may be this.

I would think so. I was told recently the Arcade plans are still alive and to expect news later this year (fall/early winter), and as much as I'd love for there to be two projects floating out there ready to go, it seems much more likely that it's just this one.

• 3 months later...

Moses Tucker has a redesigned website and it list two current developments. One is the Arcade Building and it describes it as a "mixed use structure to include retail shop space, office and residential space and an auditorium/theater to be developed in conjunction with the Public Library." This is the first time I have heard that the library will be involved.

Also, the website states"the firm is in the preliminary stages of developing a 100,000 square-foot commercial/residential/office complex to be located in the core of downtown Little Rock". Any idea where this will be located?

The website did not say anything about the hotel project that was to be located in the River Market.

Moses Tucker has a redesigned website and it list two current developments. One is the Arcade Building and it describes it as a "mixed use structure to include retail shop space, office and residential space and an auditorium/theater to be developed in conjunction with the Public Library." This is the first time I have heard that the library will be involved.

Also, the website states"the firm is in the preliminary stages of developing a 100,000 square-foot commercial/residential/office complex to be located in the core of downtown Little Rock". Any idea where this will be located?

The website did not say anything about the hotel project that was to be located in the River Market.

Hmm. I hadn't heard about the new development yet, but that's exciting. I'm a huge fan of Moses Tucker and their work in Little Rock, and I was hoping that they would be able to catch their breath and make sure their company was strong while the economy remained in the pits because I knew they'd have more on their drawing board once the market was there to support it. I am glad they redid the website though, the old development and residential pages were a bit of a mess.

Hmm. I hadn't heard about the new development yet, but that's exciting. I'm a huge fan of Moses Tucker and their work in Little Rock, and I was hoping that they would be able to catch their breath and make sure their company was strong while the economy remained in the pits because I knew they'd have more on their drawing board once the market was there to support it. I am glad they redid the website though, the old development and residential pages were a bit of a mess.

I've heard the Paramount Life Bldg is the aforementioned 100K SQFT project. Not sure, though...

Where/which building is the Paramount Life?

It's at 319 W. 2nd Street. I had to dig a bit to figure it out... I'd heard the name before but couldn't recall ever seeing anything referred to as the "Paramount Life" building but sure enough, that was their former headquarters. It and a vacant parking lot sit at the corner of 2nd and Spring near the old courthouse. I've probably driven by it dozens of times and not really noticed it... It's not a particularly attractive building and that whole block is relatively dead- the street entrance to the paramount building is boarded up and the only other structure on that half of the block is a small 1-story brick attorney's office. It's one of several full blocks in that strip of downtown that feels empty since so many structures have been razed and paved over and many of the existing buildings are empty or run down.

Isn't the Paramount Life building on the same block as the parking deck/park purposed a few years ago by Pulaski County?

MT's website states it will be in the core of downtown LR but I don't see this location as part of the core. Why buy a building and demolish it and build another one when there are plenty of vacant lots available?

I was hoping the "auditorium/theater to be developed in conjunction with the Public Library" was in conjunction with the Clinton Library rather than the public library. The lack of an auditorium/theater is the biggest problem I see with the Clinton Center. They have wonderful guests and lectures yet cram everyone into Sturgis Hall like sardines. If the Arcade is where the Aloft Hotel was supposed to be or at the corner of Clinton and River Market, perhaps the auditorium/theater could be used for guest lectures.

• 4 months later...

The library bond issue vote was/is today (for another hour). I went and voted in support of it. General turnout was low the guy said, but I imagine it should pass pretty easily and the development of this auditorium can start being planned more seriously. I would love to see Arcade get underway at that site and add a new noticeable building to the River Market.

• 3 months later...

The August 2nd Planning Commission Agenda contains an item labeled “Library Arcade Building,” a planned commercial development located at 100 River Market Avenue. I don’t know if a major announcement will be made before the item is brought before the commission, but one might think there would be some publicity, before the item is heard. Metroplan’s 2011 Demographic Review, published earlier this year, contains a photo of the lot on which the Arcade will be constructed with the caption that mentions the lot will “soon host yet another mixed-use development in Little Rock’s River Market District.” I suppose it was never a matter of “if”, but “when.” The development might now be moving full-steam ahead.

• 3 weeks later...

The August 2nd Planning Commission Agenda contains an item labeled “Library Arcade Building,” a planned commercial development located at 100 River Market Avenue. I don’t know if a major announcement will be made before the item is brought before the commission, but one might think there would be some publicity, before the item is heard. Metroplan’s 2011 Demographic Review, published earlier this year, contains a photo of the lot on which the Arcade will be constructed with the caption that mentions the lot will “soon host yet another mixed-use development in Little Rock’s River Market District.” I suppose it was never a matter of “if”, but “when.” The development might now be moving full-steam ahead.

The new Arcade will only be around 58,000 square feet instead of the orginial 80,000. It will also go from four floors to three and it looks like the residential space will be left off. A ground floor resturaunt featuring outdoor dining will be included at the corner of President Clinton and River Market Avenues. I doubt if the city objects to the construction since the library is involved. Remember it was the library who objected to the Aloft being built on this site.

The new Arcade will only be around 58,000 square feet instead of the orginial 80,000. It will also go from four floors to three and it looks like the residential space will be left off. A ground floor resturaunt featuring outdoor dining will be included at the corner of President Clinton and River Market Avenues. I doubt if the city objects to the construction since the library is involved. Remember it was the library who objected to the Aloft being built on this site.

I'm still aggravated by the overblown objections to the original project that essentially killed aLoft. What a loss.

I don't understand the residential space being left off at all unless it's purely a matter of height reduction to appease some interests. I'm pretty confident residential space in that location would rent or sell pretty well.

I don't understand the residential space being left off at all unless it's purely a matter of height reduction to appease some interests. I'm pretty confident residential space in that location would rent or sell pretty well.

I agree about the residential space. From what I understand the library is the controlling party in this project and I don't think the library wants people, either in apartmsnts or hotels living in this area. It wants to control what is going on and someday I think the library will take over the whole building. The library is also planing to construct a parking deck where their parking lot is now. At one time UALR did a study for the development of the River Market and one if its main suggestions was to ban parking decks within the River Market. Why couldn't a deck be built to replace some of the surface parking lots at the Clinton Library to service it as well as the River Market and the Main Library. If someone didn't want to walk then they could use the street car to and from. Don't you think the parking lot in front of the Main Library would be a great space for a park? Anyway, when the Arcade building is complete the library will control all the retail space on the southside of this block.

The plan taken to the Planning Commission (and approved) was for a 2-story 57,000 square foot building with 5 retail parcels with outdoor seating on the first floor and offices on the second. There will be a skywalk connecting it to the Butler building of the library complex and the library theater will apparently be two stories. Very disappointed to see this building so cut down from what it was initially planned for, it seems like the library got to call almost all the shots on this one. I don't know if it's because Moses Tucker is spread a little too thin to get enough additional outside funding from independent sources to pull it off or if the chunk of funding from the library was contingent on these cutbacks. Either way, it's a bit unfortunate. I am pleased the restaurant/retail spaces will have outdoor seating on Clinton Ave. though, that will be a nice street front touch.

Here is the link to the story: http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2012/aug/03/lr-library-arcade-gets-go-ahead-panel-20120803/?f=news-arkansas

The plan taken to the Planning Commission (and approved) was for a 2-story 57,000 square foot building with 5 retail parcels with outdoor seating on the first floor and offices on the second. There will be a skywalk connecting it to the Butler building of the library complex and the library theater will apparently be two stories. Very disappointed to see this building so cut down from what it was initially planned for, it seems like the library got to call almost all the shots on this one. I don't know if it's because Moses Tucker is spread a little too thin to get enough additional outside funding from independent sources to pull it off or if the chunk of funding from the library was contingent on these cutbacks. Either way, it's a bit unfortunate. I am pleased the restaurant/retail spaces will have outdoor seating on Clinton Ave. though, that will be a nice street front touch.

Here is the link to the story: http://www.arkansaso...f=news-arkansas

I read the article I this morning and I would say that it is a case of bad reporting. From the application before the board last night: "The new structure will be approximately 57,900 gross square feet in three (3) levels." This is what the board approved.

Unless the plan was modified immediately before last night's meeting, Skirby is correct. The plan called for a three-story building. The theater portion in the back may be only two stories, but the structure facing Clinton and River Market is listed as three.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived