New Bloom Grocery Store at Wade Hampton & Church?

Clark, you serious?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm moving to that part of town and was told that a Bloom was under construction at that triangle piece of land at Wade Hampton Blvd and N. Church and Stone Ave. Anyone know the schedule and what else is planned there? Sorry if this is covered in another thread, but I'm new to the Greenville board. Thanks, in advance.

This is one of several prime locations for an additional downtown grocer. (Others include Camperdown Way at South Academy Street and Rutherford at Shaw streets.) If one decides to locate there, I hope they follow this model example.

Though rumors have circulated about Bloom adding a store, the Food Lion umbrella has temporarily halted plans for additional stores as they reevaulate the upstate market. Ingle's Markets have eyed downtown for years, and would be an exciting challenge to land their new 90.000 square feet store somewhere. Publix wants a second downtown store just for the North Main community, and an additional store along North Pleasantburg for Cherrydale and Montebello.

This is one of several prime locations for an additional downtown grocer. (Others include Camperdown Way at South Academy Street and Rutherford at Shaw streets.) If one decides to locate there, I hope they follow this model example.

Though rumors have circulated about Bloom adding a store, the Food Lion umbrella has temporarily halted plans for additional stores as they reevaulate the upstate market. Ingle's Markets have eyed downtown for years, and would be an exciting challenge to land their new 90.000 square feet store somewhere. Publix wants a second downtown store just for the North Main community, and an additional store along North Pleasantburg for Cherrydale and Montebello.

I cannot remember where I read it, but I understand the downtown Publix is the most profitable store in the area. We visit there sometimes on weekends and I find it to be very crowded in a fun way. It has that urban feel to it as soon as you walk in.

There was a big stink in the neighborhood about a Walgreens wanting to locate on that property, but that was around a year ago. The basis of the opposition seemed to be that the North Main Neighborhood Assn. wanted to make sure that new businesses in the area were going to be "local," which I was certainly opposed to - I would love to see a Bloom go in here. In my experiences with that Bi-Lo on Park, I don't think they would be hurting any more than they already are from Publix opened. Most of their traffic seems to be from folks on foot from the surrounding neighborhood to the west and from Towers East. I can't imagine that people would walk an extra 3/4 mile to shop at Bloom.

There was a big stink in the neighborhood about a Walgreens wanting to locate on that property, but that was around a year ago. The basis of the opposition seemed to be that the North Main Neighborhood Assn. wanted to make sure that new businesses in the area were going to be "local," which I was certainly opposed to - I would love to see a Bloom go in here. In my experiences with that Bi-Lo on Park, I don't think they would be hurting any more than they already are from Publix opened. Most of their traffic seems to be from folks on foot from the surrounding neighborhood to the west and from Towers East. I can't imagine that people would walk an extra 3/4 mile to shop at Bloom.

Those North Main folks certainly aren't shy about what should and shouldn't go in "their neighborhood," are they...? Speaking of which, anyone know what's up on the Waffle House front? I just realized I hadn't heard anything lately about plans for a N Main area location.

One is planned for the spot just to the right of the Rite Aid at N. Main and Stone Avenue, unless more news has come up that I haven't heard yet. And why be shy? If you don't want something you may as well speak up...might get your way, might not.

Maybe I misunderstood the article, but the recent Journal article on this gave me the impression that restaurants would NOT be allowed to operate 24 hours in C-2, without special exception. Waffle House and the current owner are preparing to fight it. if it is not approved.

• 5 weeks later...

I have been a Greenville resident for a few weeks and here are some thoughts:

I have had other people tell me they think a Bloom is going in. However, it does look like they are merely grading that land. How long does it take to grade a property? Seems like they are doing a lot of nothing over there. Who owns the land?

The Waffle House would be totally out of character with the neighborhood. Waffle House needs to focus on interstates and strip centers and Greenville needs to focus on realizing the potential of Stone Avenue andcreating a better link between downtown and North Main.

I have had other people tell me they think a Bloom is going in. However, it does look like they are merely grading that land. How long does it take to grade a property? Seems like they are doing a lot of nothing over there. Who owns the land?

The Waffle House would be totally out of character with the neighborhood. Waffle House needs to focus on interstates and strip centers and Greenville needs to focus on realizing the potential of Stone Avenue andcreating a better link between downtown and North Main.

Its not always about what is the best use. It is about what is fair, it is about property rights. Waffle House has just as much right to open there as any other restaurant.

You can't have one set of rules and then just change them because just to stop one business from acting with in the rules that are already set. The city has done that twice now this summer alone and they are going to get themselves sued one of these days if they keep it up and that's going to be a waste of tax payer money.

Waffle House also looked at Pendleton St. awhile back I bet most of you who are against a store on Stone would have no problem with one on Pendleton St.

Archived