Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clark, you serious?

New Bloom Grocery Store at Wade Hampton & Church?

33 posts in this topic

I'm moving to that part of town and was told that a Bloom was under construction at that triangle piece of land at Wade Hampton Blvd and N. Church and Stone Ave. Anyone know the schedule and what else is planned there? Sorry if this is covered in another thread, but I'm new to the Greenville board. Thanks, in advance.

There is nothing planned for that site at this time. They are just flattening the land to make it more appealing for future development.

I'm moving to that part of town and was told that a Bloom was under construction at that triangle piece of land at Wade Hampton Blvd and N. Church and Stone Ave. Anyone know the schedule and what else is planned there? Sorry if this is covered in another thread, but I'm new to the Greenville board. Thanks, in advance.

That area does need a grocery store- right near where Sears was? I'm surprised that that whole part of town hasn't attracted higher-density residential, too, being so near downtown.

This is one of several prime locations for an additional downtown grocer. (Others include Camperdown Way at South Academy Street and Rutherford at Shaw streets.) If one decides to locate there, I hope they follow this model example.

Though rumors have circulated about Bloom adding a store, the Food Lion umbrella has temporarily halted plans for additional stores as they reevaulate the upstate market. Ingle's Markets have eyed downtown for years, and would be an exciting challenge to land their new 90.000 square feet store somewhere. Publix wants a second downtown store just for the North Main community, and an additional store along North Pleasantburg for Cherrydale and Montebello.

How is the downtown Publix doing? Every time I go in there (weekends), it seems pretty empty.

This is one of several prime locations for an additional downtown grocer. (Others include Camperdown Way at South Academy Street and Rutherford at Shaw streets.) If one decides to locate there, I hope they follow this model example.

Though rumors have circulated about Bloom adding a store, the Food Lion umbrella has temporarily halted plans for additional stores as they reevaulate the upstate market. Ingle's Markets have eyed downtown for years, and would be an exciting challenge to land their new 90.000 square feet store somewhere. Publix wants a second downtown store just for the North Main community, and an additional store along North Pleasantburg for Cherrydale and Montebello.

I'm not so sure downtown could really support a third grocer. I'd hate to see one fail, especially McBee Station's Publix.

I cannot remember where I read it, but I understand the downtown Publix is the most profitable store in the area. We visit there sometimes on weekends and I find it to be very crowded in a fun way. It has that urban feel to it as soon as you walk in.

I often shop at the Publix in McBee Station, and it's usually quite busy. :)

I often shop at the Publix in McBee Station, and it's usually quite busy. :)

I think a smaller, urban gourmet grocery would do well downtown and not interfere with the "regular" supermarkets like Publix. I don't know if we're ready for a Whole Foods downtown just yet, but something a little smaller and equally as specialized would work.

^^ Me, too. Maybe during the recovery from the recession, downtown housing will BOOM and the numbers will be attractive for the chain... Then again, we probably have a better chance of them pulling out from Magnolia and building downtown. :(

There was a big stink in the neighborhood about a Walgreens wanting to locate on that property, but that was around a year ago. The basis of the opposition seemed to be that the North Main Neighborhood Assn. wanted to make sure that new businesses in the area were going to be "local," which I was certainly opposed to - I would love to see a Bloom go in here. In my experiences with that Bi-Lo on Park, I don't think they would be hurting any more than they already are from Publix opened. Most of their traffic seems to be from folks on foot from the surrounding neighborhood to the west and from Towers East. I can't imagine that people would walk an extra 3/4 mile to shop at Bloom.

There was a big stink in the neighborhood about a Walgreens wanting to locate on that property, but that was around a year ago. The basis of the opposition seemed to be that the North Main Neighborhood Assn. wanted to make sure that new businesses in the area were going to be "local," which I was certainly opposed to - I would love to see a Bloom go in here. In my experiences with that Bi-Lo on Park, I don't think they would be hurting any more than they already are from Publix opened. Most of their traffic seems to be from folks on foot from the surrounding neighborhood to the west and from Towers East. I can't imagine that people would walk an extra 3/4 mile to shop at Bloom.

Those North Main folks certainly aren't shy about what should and shouldn't go in "their neighborhood," are they...? Speaking of which, anyone know what's up on the Waffle House front? I just realized I hadn't heard anything lately about plans for a N Main area location.

One is planned for the spot just to the right of the Rite Aid at N. Main and Stone Avenue, unless more news has come up that I haven't heard yet. And why be shy? If you don't want something you may as well speak up...might get your way, might not.

Maybe I misunderstood the article, but the recent Journal article on this gave me the impression that restaurants would NOT be allowed to operate 24 hours in C-2, without special exception. Waffle House and the current owner are preparing to fight it. if it is not approved.

I have been a Greenville resident for a few weeks and here are some thoughts:

I have had other people tell me they think a Bloom is going in. However, it does look like they are merely grading that land. How long does it take to grade a property? Seems like they are doing a lot of nothing over there. Who owns the land?

The Waffle House would be totally out of character with the neighborhood. Waffle House needs to focus on interstates and strip centers and Greenville needs to focus on realizing the potential of Stone Avenue andcreating a better link between downtown and North Main.

I have had other people tell me they think a Bloom is going in. However, it does look like they are merely grading that land. How long does it take to grade a property? Seems like they are doing a lot of nothing over there. Who owns the land?

The Waffle House would be totally out of character with the neighborhood. Waffle House needs to focus on interstates and strip centers and Greenville needs to focus on realizing the potential of Stone Avenue andcreating a better link between downtown and North Main.

Hmm how likely would it be to see Waffle House agree to an urban (built to sidewalk) restaurant with additional architectural features that better integrate it into the neighborhood? Has there ever been such a thing?

Ya, I live downtown and I think a Waffle House downtown is a great idea. If I want to eat at Waffle House I shouldn't have to go to the interstate. Waffle House has a History of non-downtown more neighborhood like locations.

I don't disagree with you, but is a Waffle House in that location really what is going to make the area better? It just seems so off the wall to me. This one is a head scratcher.

Its not always about what is the best use. It is about what is fair, it is about property rights. Waffle House has just as much right to open there as any other restaurant.

You can't have one set of rules and then just change them because just to stop one business from acting with in the rules that are already set. The city has done that twice now this summer alone and they are going to get themselves sued one of these days if they keep it up and that's going to be a waste of tax payer money.

Waffle House also looked at Pendleton St. awhile back I bet most of you who are against a store on Stone would have no problem with one on Pendleton St.