New Bloom Grocery Store at Wade Hampton & Church?

Clark, you serious?

Dang right!!!!!! Waffle house would fit in perfectly on Pendleton St. What no one is taking into consideration is the type person that Waffle House will bring at 2 3 am in the morning. I see it all the time, club lets out and you have two hundred cars trying to get into one Waffle House Parking lot. Then the fights break out, guns start blasting, and the police show up with lights and sirens blaring. Not to mention the loud noise from all the radios blaring right next to quiet neighborhoods. I believe in property rights like the next guy, but there is no foot traffic on stone, unless it is coming from homeless people walking to the soup kitchen on poinsett.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its not always about what is the best use. It is about what is fair, it is about property rights. Waffle House has just as much right to open there as any other restaurant.

You can't have one set of rules and then just change them because just to stop one business from acting with in the rules that are already set. The city has done that twice now this summer alone and they are going to get themselves sued one of these days if they keep it up and that's going to be a waste of tax payer money.

Waffle House also looked at Pendleton St. awhile back I bet most of you who are against a store on Stone would have no problem with one on Pendleton St.

Believe me, I understand property rights. However, this is also about what is best for the neighborhood. It's about the city and the citizens finally having a say in what is right for a particular area instead of letting development run wild as it has for far too long. Waffle House is not a fit here. With all the potential of the Stone Avenue corridor, WH is the best we can do? Please.

These are fair points. NIMBY is so overused, though. It seems like everyone wants to use it as a catch-all term for anyone opposed to development. I'm personally pro-smart growth(also overused). I don't think you'll ever see Waffle House associated with the term smart growth, however. I would love to see more restaurants, bars, retail, residential i.e. mixed-use in the area. A 24 hour Waffle House just doesn't seem like the answer to me.

Dang right!!!!!! Waffle house would fit in perfectly on Pendleton St. What no one is taking into consideration is the type person that Waffle House will bring at 2 3 am in the morning. I see it all the time, club lets out and you have two hundred cars trying to get into one Waffle House Parking lot. Then the fights break out, guns start blasting, and the police show up with lights and sirens blaring. Not to mention the loud noise from all the radios blaring right next to quiet neighborhoods. I believe in property rights like the next guy, but there is no foot traffic on stone, unless it is coming from homeless people walking to the soup kitchen on poinsett.

Clemson University Department of City and Regional Planning along with the Department of Landscape Architecture are currently in the process of drafting design guidelines for the N.Main Neighborhood area. A public meeting time has not been officially set, but if some of you folks here (especially N.Main residents) are interested in voicing your opinions about whats acceptable for this downtown neighborhood, I suggest you attend. I know several people on this forum seem to be quite passionate about quality urban design. This would be a great opportunity to express your ideals on the matter. I will post more about this when new information becomes available.

Archived