Recycling Solutions

tozmervo

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know of local solutions for recycling #3, 5, 6, 7 plastics or old tapes and cds?

I believe Imaginon has some use for old CD's. They are used in art projects with groups of kids. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure if it was mirrors or CD's that were used when I did my behind the scenes tour a few months ago (my wife is a MLIS graduate). I would give them a call to see if they're interested.

Not sure what to do about old tapes though. This is the very unfortunate end to plastic products.

I am assuming the CLT sanitation dept. still doesn't pick up this kind of stuff. However you are not out of luck. The Mecklenburg recycling centers will take all of the items you mention. The one I am familiar with is on Hwy 21 (Statesville Rd) a little north of Harris Blvd. You drive in, tell them what you have and they tell you what part of the center to drop it off. They take old electronics, any metal, plastic, old chemicals, used motor oil, yard waste, etc. They will even take construction debris, such as old flooring, sheet rock and so forth if you were doing a remodel, but they charge to take this category.

They also sell excellent mulch, (different types) and compost. This stuff is made from local yard waste and is very low cost compared to a place like Lowes.

• 1 month later...

The best answers that I can find are as follows:

CharMeck is "working on" the ability to accept other plastics. Maybe that will be in place when the new recycling bins / pick up program roll out next July. If you didn't catch it in the news a while back, they're switching to huge rolling bins and picking up every two weeks. This will reportedly save major moolah.

CDs/DVDs: http://www.cdrecyclingcenter.com/ and http://www.greendisk.com/ both accept for recycling. The former for free, the latter for a fee, but there are better data protection guarantees.

CD/DVD Cases: Take 'em to your local library branch, sans paper inserts. They'll use them to replace the cases damaged by patrons.

Cassette and Video Tapes: http://www.greendisk.com/ is the only option I can find.

Another oddball item is packing material, like Styrofoam peanuts. You can take those to most any package store and they will take and reuse them.

• 5 months later...

^ To expand on this for anyone in Concord, I e-mailed Allen Scott, the Solid Waste Director to ask if something similar would be offered. Here is the response I received:

"The Concord City Council conducted their annual planning session last Thursday and Friday to consider a variety of matters, to set goals for the next fiscal year, and to evaluate their impact upon the City's budget. A summary of the comprehensive review of Concord's solid waste management program was presented to City Council, along with one significant recommendation: to consider authorizing staff to prepare a Request for Proposal for solid waste collection contractors to provide automated recycling collection on an alternating weekly schedule using 96 gallon roll out carts. This change in the recycling program will begin on or about July 1, 2011 when the current collection contracts come up for renewal.

City Council was supportive of this recommendation, and I believe they will officially adopt this recommendation as a goal for fiscal year 2011. Since we currently take our recyclables to the same Material Recovery Facility as the City of Charlotte, I believe the City of Concord should be able to recycle most of the items accepted by the City of Charlotte. As we approach July 1, 2011, the City of Concord will release many details related to the changes to our recycling collection program, and I believe everyone should find these changes to be positive in nature."

Hopefully the rest of the metro area will expand on their recycling options as well.

Archived