PROPOSED: Manchester Broad Street Redevelopment Plan

GHartford

The Manchester Redevelopment Agency has posted a proposed Redevelopment Plan for the Broad Street commercial area. The plan includes a mixed-use district with a significant residential component, commercial, retail, restaurant, entertainment and possible civic uses, as well as a greenway along Bigelow Brook and the extention of a nearby park.

The plan can be viewed here:

http://www.townofmanchester.org/Planning/R...pmentAgency.cfm

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Manchester Redevelopment Agency has posted a proposed Redevelopment Plan for the Broad Street commercial area. The plan includes a mixed-use district with a significant residential component, commercial, retail, restaurant, entertainment and possible civic uses, as well as a greenway along Bigelow Brook and the extention of a nearby park.

The plan can be viewed here:

http://www.townofmanchester.org/Planning/R...pmentAgency.cfm

I live near this, I read the PDF, and I am not really a fan of what they are planning. it not at all in the likeness of a blue back square even though it says it is.

The massing is awkward.

they are trying to fix this area up and bring more life to the area, but the thing is that this area struggles due to transportation issues.

its like buckland light, and since Buckland has the easy regional highway access, Buckland thrives. also now that Buckland greatly dwarfs Broad street, there are less and less reasons to go there.

ultimately its an area that will not die, but it may never thrive either.

the main thing that happens here is people grocery shop. there are a few plaza that do fairly well, but they have major grocery anchors that keep them going, and honestly most of the areas grocery stores are in this area.

in order to make this really a successful area, they need to either completely embrace the strip malls that are there, or they need to create density and find ways to make the traffic more fluid.

this area is a locals shopping area, and its success will only further hurt the historic downtown.

as an aside I am getting involved in Manchester now days, and hope to end up having some say as to the towns future.

maybe I can get on the planning board.

I don't see this plan as an attempt to create Manchester's Blue Back Square. I see it primarily as a streetscape project and a transformation of the old parkade into a residential neighborhood. A few small streets would help break up the block.

I like the idea of extending Center Springs Park to Broad Street. Many people are not aware of this beautiful park because it is in the interior. I think it would be nice to integrate the park with the town government buildings at the corner of Main and Center streets, similar to the way the library fits into the park across the street.

I don't see this plan as an attempt to create Manchester's Blue Back Square. I see it primarily as a streetscape project and a transformation of the old parkade into a residential neighborhood. A few small streets would help break up the block.

I like the idea of extending Center Springs Park to Broad Street. Many people are not aware of this beautiful park because it is in the interior. I think it would be nice to integrate the park with the town government buildings at the corner of Main and Center streets, similar to the way the library fits into the park across the street.

• 1 month later...

Archived