Downtown Norfolk Progress

varider

Looks like their going to vote to approve it tomorrow.  If approved, that's 450 apartment units he'll be singlehandedly bringing downtown.  That should liven things up a bit.

http://norfolklive.blogspot.com/2013/06/james-madison-hotel-to-transform-into.html

There is such a huge influx of apartments coming to downtown right now.  I hope they can fill them.

Looks like their going to vote to approve it tomorrow.  If approved, that's 450 apartment units he'll be singlehandedly bringing downtown.  That should liven things up a bit.

http://norfolklive.blogspot.com/2013/06/james-madison-hotel-to-transform-into.html

I was not happy about them converting that hotel to a business place anyways. I think it was a bad idea. I can live with apts and condos, but a hotel would still been better. I'm not sure why it fell out of grace anyways...

Honestly, I'm apartmented out when it comes to downtown. I'm all about them trying to bring people back to that area, but there's more than enough older buildings being converted with Wainwright, the "Leaning Tower", and then the new building going up on Freemason+Granby. Plus all the other new apartments.

Another downtown hotel would work much better IMO, esp. if you tout it as an historic property. Even if you make it a chain, I say go for it.

Honestly, I'm apartmented out when it comes to downtown. I'm all about them trying to bring people back to that area, but there's more than enough older buildings being converted with Wainwright, the "Leaning Tower", and then the new building going up on Freemason+Granby. Plus all the other new apartments.

Another downtown hotel would work much better IMO, esp. if you tout it as an historic property. Even if you make it a chain, I say go for it.

Yes, moderately price, like a weekend hotel....  That's what I've always seen that hotel as, a nice weekend alternative to the marriot. Its close to things, right smack dab on GS, perfect if ask me. They can also host things there if they have any size ballroom.  With them rethinking the prospects of street festival and bringing people back on GS, this would be a nice option to have.

Exactly, plus with the MEAC being in town for a couple more years, Norfolk could use the hotel space, and other than the Golden Triangle (I have no idea what it calls itself this week), there's no older hotels downtown. I think the oldest is the Sheraton, built in the late-70s. The Madison is the perfect spot for a hotel of its kind, like you said, the middle of Granby Street.

Is the Union Mission still being converted? I know they had issues getting the building or something.

• 2 weeks later...

This is crazy, bad orginization from a City with so much to offer.  So afraid of Crime which happens Downtown everyday.  No NBA,  no NFL, no Gamblings, nothing new you have to spend money to make money.  Always in debt. And the St Paul's Quadrant Program is never getting started it's taking almost 5 years the time it was suppose to get started or done ro do nothing.  Eye sores.  I know that you will have to find living places for all of the People in Tidewater Gardens but the place is Old and needs a face lift instead of patching it up everyday,  sidewalks, trees these Aparments need new applicance,  The Handicap need to be moved and elderly to there own areas not among the families with large amounts of kids destroying the area.  New counters,  REMODELING!!!!  I have lived here for 7 years and I haven't seen a City that is so unorganized I need to go back to Tampa!  SAD :dunno: :dunno:
  :dunno: :dunno:

• 4 weeks later...

My three wishes for the downtown waterfront are:

1. Tear down the Dominion Tower parking garage and redevelop the property for a signature tower. This property is stunning when coming out of the downtown tunnel! Can you imagine a fortune 500 tower sitting right on the Elizabeth river?

2. Tear down that short stubby Sharaton Hotel! Does the city really need a hotel eating up all that waterfront space? You could easily fit two much larger towers on that property.

3. Please tear down the fugly parking garage on City Hall ave! That's got to be the most unappealing building downtown right now. I am sure there is space for a tower there where parking can go beneath it. Speaking of parking garages, I believe that one of them was built with intents to build a tower above it. Let's do it!

Can anyone think of more development/redevelopment opportunities downtown? How about a tower above the mall, is that possible?

Edited by vdogg
Moved from Norfolk Hotel and Conference Center. Please stay on topic.

• 4 weeks later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/08/norfolk-poised-revamp-zoning-rules-downtown

Norfolk could ease up on the zoning rules, which in turn could lead to more businesses and a vibrant downtown. I love the concept...downtown has been hit or miss over the last decade, and I'm sure the overbearing rules were part of it. 

And then there's this...

But some residents and businesses in adjacent Ghent are not ecstatic about the changes. 

The Ghent Business Association also wrote in opposition to some of the changes, including removing the special exception requirement for farmers markets, flea markets, recreation centers and used-merchandise stores.

The Ghent Neighborhood League wrote to the Planning Commission stating its opposition to certain changes, including removing the special exception requirement for 24-hour convenience stores, flea markets and retail establishments that are open after midnight.

Much as I like living in Ghent, the NIMBY mentality really irritates me. The removal of the park benches was a complete overreaction.

Edited by BFG

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/08/norfolk-poised-revamp-zoning-rules-downtown

Norfolk could ease up on the zoning rules, which in turn could lead to more businesses and a vibrant downtown. I love the concept...downtown has been hit or miss over the last decade, and I'm sure the overbearing rules were part of it. 

And then there's this...

The Ghent Neighborhood League wrote to the Planning Commission stating its opposition to certain changes, including removing the special exception requirement for 24-hour convenience stores, flea markets and retail establishments that are open after midnight.

The Ghent Business Association also wrote in opposition to some of the changes, including removing the special exception requirement for farmers markets, flea markets, recreation centers and used-merchandise stores.

Much as I like living in Ghent, the NIMBY mentality really irritates me. The removal of the park benches was a complete overreaction.

To be fair to Ghent residents, the removal of the park benches was a city decision. That said, last time I checked Ghent wasn't part of downtown proper. Why do they care what the zonings regs are? It's not even in their neighborhood. Am I missing something?

To be fair to Ghent residents, the removal of the park benches was a city decision. That said, last time I checked Ghent wasn't part of downtown proper. Why do they care what the zonings regs are? It's not even in their neighborhood. Am I missing something?

Proximity issue more than likely. Remember, these are the people who informed me of my 34 years that having a 7-eleven is an unwarrant presence. Never thought about 7-eleven that way, so i'm not shocked about this.

My three wishes for the downtown waterfront are:

1. Tear down the Dominion Tower parking garage and redevelop the property for a signature tower. This property is stunning when coming out of the downtown tunnel! Can you imagine a fortune 500 tower sitting right on the Elizabeth river?

2. Tear down that short stubby Sharaton Hotel! Does the city really need a hotel eating up all that waterfront space? You could easily fit two much larger towers on that property.

3. Please tear down the fugly parking garage on City Hall ave! That's got to be the most unappealing building downtown right now. I am sure there is space for a tower there where parking can go beneath it. Speaking of parking garages, I believe that one of them was built with intents to build a tower above it. Let's do it!

Can anyone think of more development/redevelopment opportunities downtown? How about a tower above the mall, is that possible?

on the empty lot, absoutely.

Issue for me, I rather see the open space. i want something built, but not an enclosed tower. Something open would work for me that is built up.. maybe a small condo or hotel/weekend hotel. definitely worth a shot. i'm sure someone is schemeing on that site, I know I would. I would like to see something creative there.

So it's Sunday night and I'm driving down Granby, and it's virtually empty! Restaurants are closed (either for the night or for good, i.e. Jack Quinn's), the bars look empty, although the streetside parking spaces are filled. It being a holiday weekend, people should be walking up and down the street, and I should see lines outside the doors of these places. I know there was an event at JewMa Friday, and according to the Granby Theater marquee, there were a couple of parties Friday and Saturday night but it still doesn't explain why Granby was so quiet on Labor Day Sunday...

What gives Norfolk?

I was on Granby Saturday night and saw the same. I ate at Norfolk Seafood Co. in the downstairs basement. There were no more than a dozen people in there at a time. When we left, the upstairs was completely empty. Took a quick walk up Granby (10:00pm) and it was a ghost town. Mo & O'Malley's had about 6 people in there, Empire about a dozen, Hells Kitchen had a few people around but the streets were desolate. Granby Pizza, Sushi places, etc. had no one in there.

Saturday was hopping.  Harbor Park was nearly a sell out (14000) for the Tides game.  I took a stroll down Granby after the game around 11PM and everywhere was busy.  Sunday - Thursday is just dead down there apparently.  

Someone told me some sales numbers from one of the more popular restaurants/lounges.  They said they'd be lucky to do $1k in sales on a weeknight and a regular Friday and Saturday would bring in 10k with a busy one up to 20k.  Half these places are just open during the week to sell enough food to make up for the bar business they do on Friday and Saturday nights so they can be legal with ABC.

I did see a new Salon is opening in the old Elevation store between Scotty Quix and Bodega.  There's also some work going on in the old Velvet finally which has a "leased" sign on the door.  We've got a Donut shop coming, a few hundred apartments under construction...  Keeping my fingers crossed that we can get Granby Street back to what it was about 7-8 years ago and then improve it from there.

Edited by mikeas

• 3 years later...

Class A office vacancy officially fell below 10% last quarter. Time to start thinking about another tower. :)

"Downtown Norfolk experienced 16,730 sq. ft. of positive direct net absorption for the quarter, bringing the annual total to 490,967 sq. ft. during 2016.

•The overall CBD vacancy tightened 60 bps in Q4 2016 to 14.1%. Class A vacancy fell 120 bps quarter over quarter to 9.2% in Q4 2016, a 400 bps decline from Q1 2016."

http://www.cbre.us/o/norfolk/Pages/market-reports.aspx

• Like 2

On 2/14/2017 at 4:22 PM, BFG said:

Whatever the next building ends up being, I'm hoping someone thinks big and goes for at least 35 stories. It's time to start going for height, if you want to keep people moving here.

That's why I do not understand their concept. What's left in DT for that kind of development? The synder lot, McArthur Center lot. The rest would be a demo and rebuild. The plan for SQP did not include plans to expand DT to include such developments. I know that could change, but I get the impression they want or seek to keep dt small and contained. I think if they want to continue to be the center of the metro, SQP and Ft.Norfolk should be thought out a little more carefully. 

My personal opinion, Norfolk does not have the real estate to offer what a va.beach or chesapeake can provide in terms of suburban living. I would rather see them offer up more of an urban lifestyle, at least in that section of Norfolk. Think big, think grand, think unique.

• Like 1