Downtown Norfolk Progress

varider

Just know I love AltDaily and I am so glad they are giving our DT some color this summer.

28961_409450879244_128887699244_5259702_2300289_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/photo.php?pid=5259702&id=128887699244

Nice! We at the lab couldn't come up with anything in time, but I've got some pretty wild ideas if this happens again. The ideas just starting hitting me.

Development time is long on one of the ideas. The good news is, I had the idea but not great at implementing it. Two friends were debating how to do it, and one was like fine, it's a contest. Let's do both. Contests drive people, so we'll see.

We don't have enough permanent cultural diversity here.

Technically, we do, it's just only celebrated this one time of the year. Soldiers, officers, and employees of NATO live throughout Hampton Roads. Back in high school, I hung out with a group of guys that consisted of me and another American, a French-Canadian, and a German. The Azalea festival is the only celebration in the United States that celebrates the international presence of European allies and NATO member countries. Although I like the fact that I live near and went to school with these foreign kids and their families, I would like to see more of their culture in the form of music festivals, restaurants, and shops in Norfolk or Virginia Beach.

By the way the Tattoo brings several hundred foreigners to town every year. The bars and restaurants are always busy with interesting people during their stay. We don't have enough permanent cultural diversity here.

Two Asian dudes showed up at the hackerspace. Couldn't speak English much at all. Said ABC Market. After a few attempts the word Beer worked. I couldn't explain to them that ABC store only has hard alcohol, but Farm Fresh has beer too well. Gave em directions to Farm Fresh, but now that I think about it maybe they were headed to the ABC store near HOH.

Very cool nonetheless.

Last year Scottish dudes were chilling in my apartment building.

Agreed Sky06, the country is doing far worse than we think. Most Americans just go about there business like nothings wrong. Some dont have the luxury of doing that because they lost homes,cars,etc., but, Norfolk has done well due to the insulation of the military. I hope Westin gets built. Its the type of project that Norfolk needs s far as conventions are concerned that is. It will be a great draw due to The Westin being a great name for hotels and it will increase the hotel room space in the financial district as well as compete with VA Beach for the customer from out of town who wants to stay at a nice hotel.

If we lose The Westin project at least the economy will be the reason, not saying thats a good thing but, the country as a whole is still in a economic downturn. All you have to do is see how gas is back over $3.00 and most of us havent blinked. Were living a transition period for new buildings as well as what we can or should buy. The old attitude of build and build will be more thought out from now on!! Lets just hope we end up with a few of the buildings which mean jobs downtown for the projects being built and then jobs for the buildings after they are finished construction!! L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gif

35430655.jpg

This photo was taken and posted by ronsmytheii on the Norfolk LRT thread. I just wanted to point out how much of an improvement is going on down on Monticello. The TCC Student Center added density on one side of the street, the Wells Fargo added height on the other side, and the apartments/retail will be right where that fence is now. The rail looks great and when the trains roll through, that street is going to look 5X as urban as it used to.

35430655.jpg

This photo was taken and posted by ronsmytheii on the Norfolk LRT thread. I just wanted to point out how much of an improvement is going on down on Monticello. The TCC Student Center added density on one side of the street, the Wells Fargo added height on the other side, and the apartments/retail will be right where that fence is now. The rail looks great and when the trains roll through, that street is going to look 5X as urban as it used to.

Hope the retail part turns out good. It is important for monticello consider must of everything else is locked down.

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) - Plans are moving ahead to turnthe Union Mission building in downtown Norfolk into apartments.

Jeff Prioreschi of U.S. Development spoke to the Downtown Norfolk Civic League about the "The Rockefeller" project. Prioreschi said the project is financed through the federal government. He expects to close on the loan around September.

As soon as financing goes through, construction will start and the remaining men who are staying at the shelter will move to the Union Mission's new location on Virginia Beach Boulevard in Norfolk. Prioreschi says rent will start around $900 per month for a studio.

He says they will also convert the Banker's Trust building at City Hall and Granby streets into "The Savoy" apartments, with some retail.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/norfolk/norf-union-mission-plans-moving-forward

• 2 weeks later...

I love the angle in varider's sig, was that taken from the hospital parking garage? So many times, when I see downtown Norfolk, it's from the Portsmouth side of the river, but that side angle shows the more recent buildings, almost like the "New Norfolk" if you would. It makes the city look like more of a business district, instead of the P-town angle, where everything is spaced out more.

Both look nice, but I love the hospital side-angle, with the Brambleton Bridge in the foreground. We just need a landmark building in the skyline, like how St. Louis has the Arch, Dallas has Reunion Tower (the big microphone-looking thing lol), etc. Something besides Waterside.

QAIUD00Z.jpg

I love the angle in varider's sig, was that taken from the hospital parking garage? So many times, when I see downtown Norfolk, it's from the Portsmouth side of the river, but that side angle shows the more recent buildings, almost like the "New Norfolk" if you would. It makes the city look like more of a business district, instead of the P-town angle, where everything is spaced out more.

That is from the Wells Fargo Center parking Garage

• 2 weeks later...