Downtown Norfolk Progress

varider

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea, but it would create havoc downtown. If DT Norfolk had more streets, I wouldn't mind it, but Boush St. is a pain to drive down, and Monticello on the MacArthur side has the light rail that occasionally prevents the flow of traffic. I think Granby gets too much car traffic during the day as is. Closing it off would turn the outside streets into a mess.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

First of all Ghentlite GREAT FIND!

As for the building, I do think Granby deserves a little more contextual architecture since its the only really historic road left downtown. If that is indeed the chosen design, I hope it will be VERY HEAVY on the brick. Something with the materials of Belmont at Freemason would be disappointing.

I don't think we'll see an increase of people living downtown until we start to see an increase in businesses moving downtown.  However, it's good that they're building the framework to support that.

I don't think that's how it works.  This isn't NYC, developers don't come to Norfolk building on speculation only.  Buddy Gaddams (the guy who wanted to build Grandy Tower) is the one developing this building.  He knows the area very well (see East Beach development).  I think he sees a market for living on Granby St. 

The more I think about SPQ, the more it pisses me off. Like Waterside, it could signal serious progress for the city and add to the density. But again, Norfolk is sitting on its hands and shuffling its feet. Even Chesapeake has progressed more in the last decade!

Over the weekend, me and a friend were talking about this building on Monticello, across from the Wells Fargo Tower.

monticello.jpg

I don't know what it was before, but a few years ago, it was converted to loft condos. Or so I thought...I have no clue what it is now, but it's the kind of thing Norfolk needs to go for. It would give the DT a lot more character.

It was going for about $250K at the time, but to me, you lower the price and offer it to first time homebuyers who go DT for the nightlife or to work. I think $150K is reasonable...there's so much untapped potential in projects like that.

Speaking of building conversions, is Union Mission a go or not?

Edited by BFG

I don't think that's how it works.  This isn't NYC, developers don't come to Norfolk building on speculation only.  Buddy Gaddams (the guy who wanted to build Grandy Tower) is the one developing this building.  He knows the area very well (see East Beach development).  I think he sees a market for living on Granby St. 

Yeah, I don't know.  There's definite potential for a market on Granby, but I don't think the demand is there yet.  I just don't think we're going to see a huge increase in the population of downtown until either a.) more businesses move downtown creating jobs, b.) there's an increase in everyday amenities downtown such as a pharmacy, grocery store, etc., or c.) there's more to do downtown (retail/restaurants/special events - DT is a ghost town on weekends).

Fortunately, it looks like most on city council are finally becoming more aware of this (through trial and error) and you can see it in the small things, such as bikeability, potential food trucks, changing ordinances to promote small businesses, parking changes.  These sort of  changes along with approving new residential properties, such as this one, Rockefeller, the Savoy will lay a nice foundation.

Union Mission is in the dreaded "waiting to get its financing approved" mode.

Thanks zeppelin...I did a Google search after seeing your post. Mike, it was indeed a Ford dealership, according to one site. In addition to a big box retailer, I'd love to see a downtown car dealership. It would give Norfolk more of a big city feel. Perhaps the old Farm Fresh Marketplace on Boush?

Edited by BFG

I like the 5 story infill project, love to see more of those popping up in the downtown.  Though I always hate the idea of a building having to come down for it when there are so many vacant lots that should be built first, but that is the nature of downtown growth sometimes.  Either way, I hope this adds to the urban environment on Granby.

And I definitely agree, SPQ is the piece to expanding the downtown grid, it would almost double the size of downtown if it was included into it.

Planning council makes recommendations on food trucks...and kinda misses the point.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/12/food-trucks-norfolk-get-yellow-light-agency#comment-1491519

The public areas referred to (i.e. Scope, "The Plot") are cool, but I don't think having a food truck on Granby would hurt the businesses the way this planning council thinks. Honestly, during lunch hour, what restaurants are people in DT Norfolk flocking towards? Those places get businesses during the dinner hours.

Planning council makes recommendations on food trucks...and kinda misses the point.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/12/food-trucks-norfolk-get-yellow-light-agency#comment-1491519

The public areas referred to (i.e. Scope, "The Plot") are cool, but I don't think having a food truck on Granby would hurt the businesses the way this planning council thinks. Honestly, during lunch hour, what restaurants are people in DT Norfolk flocking towards? Those places get businesses during the dinner hours.

None to my knowledge. This whole situation is a joke. Food trucks draw people out of their office who normally wouldn't leave for lunch. It complements traditional restaurants by increasing foot traffic. It's Norfolk, so I'm not surprised something progressive or outside the box is being shot down.

Edited by VAGATOR