Petal GR

fotoman311

I know many of you follow Rapid Growth, so you may have seen the article today, published on their site about Petal GR. It's a new initiative to bring a bike share program to downtown Grand Rapids coinciding with ArtPrize. (What's that GRDad?? Did you say ArtPrize would spawn awesome side projects?? :) BTW, they are up to 446!!!!! artists matched with venues! )

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/features/PetalGR073009.aspx

The project would use really innovative, modular Bike Petal parking towers, designed right on Fulton St. in downtown by Design+ and manufactured down the road in Holland, MI. One of the cool things about the towers is that they can have either a metal or heavy fabric covering on them, so there is the potential to have artists decorate them or other ideas. They are also aesthetically pleasing (at least in my opinion) and they are easy to spot if you are looking for bicycle parking.

The first one of five that GVSU has purchased is installed near their Engineering building on the downtown Pew campus, just west of the blue pedestrian bridge. (edit: right here (turn around 180 degrees after clicking the link to see the spot): http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...2,174.51,,0,4.1 )

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you typed peTal multiple times but was that supposed to be pedal? Just wondering since it seems kinda odd. BTW I am not trying to pick on ya its just odd. In anycase that is AWESOME about the artists. WOWsers I will have to get down there for the art prize. its no longer a maybe and a we will see but wow over 400 artists canvases wholly whoppers.

edited, now I click on the link and I feel like an idiot. I still think the name is odd but oh well. Petals hmm. Solar powered hmm. Very interesting.

I know you typed peTal multiple times but was that supposed to be pedal? Just wondering since it seems kinda odd. BTW I am not trying to pick on ya its just odd. In anycase that is AWESOME about the artists. WOWsers I will have to get down there for the art prize. its no longer a maybe and a we will see but wow over 400 artists canvases wholly whoppers.

edited, now I click on the link and I feel like an idiot. I still think the name is odd but oh well. Petals hmm. Solar powered hmm. Very interesting.

I know many of you follow Rapid Growth, so you may have seen the article today, published on their site about Petal GR. It's a new initiative to bring a bike share program to downtown Grand Rapids coinciding with ArtPrize. (What's that GRDad?? Did you say ArtPrize would spawn awesome side projects?? :) BTW, they are up to 446!!!!! artists matched with venues! )

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/features/PetalGR073009.aspx

The project would use really innovative, modular Bike Petal parking towers, designed right on Fulton St. in downtown by Design+ and manufactured down the road in Holland, MI. One of the cool things about the towers is that they can have either a metal or heavy fabric covering on them, so there is the potential to have artists decorate them or other ideas. They are also aesthetically pleasing (at least in my opinion) and they are easy to spot if you are looking for bicycle parking.

The first one of five that GVSU has purchased is installed near their Engineering building on the downtown Pew campus, just west of the blue pedestrian bridge. (edit: right here (turn around 180 degrees after clicking the link to see the spot): http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...2,174.51,,0,4.1 )

I went down to GVSU Engineering Hall yesterday and SURPRISE, no Bike Petal rack. Apparently they just put it there to take pretty photos? The only sign that it was there were some tire tracks on the sidewalk from one of those hydraulic lift machines that they must have used to transport it.

I saw it there one day randomly. No bikes were parked on it, and the only reason I even knew it was a bike rack was because of previous discussions on here regarding artistic bike racks. In my opinion, they will need some signage or nobody is going to know what to do with them.

That particular bike rack was placed there for the photo op and then I believed it was moved to its permanent location at the 48 West apartment complex near the Allendale campus. No worries, Porter Corp is working full speed to get as many Bike Petals done by ArtPrize. Definitely a lot of excitement regarding this Bike Sharing program getting going!

That particular bike rack was placed there for the photo op and then I believed it was moved to its permanent location at the 48 West apartment complex near the Allendale campus. No worries, Porter Corp is working full speed to get as many Bike Petals done by ArtPrize. Definitely a lot of excitement regarding this Bike Sharing program getting going!

Archived