Carolina Panthers and the 2009 Season

HopHead

The Panthers report to training camp on Sunday at Wofford in Spartanburg, SC. Their first practice is on Monday, August 3rd. So that being said, what are your thoughts and predictions for this upcoming season? Is Peppers worth the 1 year deal he got? Will DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart spell trouble for defenses again this year? Can they make a run at the playoffs with the tough schedule they have?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they will be a strong contender for the playoffs. IMO it depends on Delhome. If he can avoid having any more performances like the Cardinals playoff game then it should be relatively smooth sailing. The Panthers have plenty of depth and talent everywhere else.

I'm personally not opposed to the Panthers hiring Michael Vick as a backup QB.

^ A couple of thoughts on that...

Richardson loves "Character Guys". I'm not saying Vick is a bad person, but he made some questionable decisions. Also, your backup QB is supposed to be able to run your offinse in case your starter gets hurt. I don't see Vick in the same mold as Delhomme as a QB. It's possible that he catches on with a team with a contract that is loaded with incentive based bonuses and a smallish base salary. He's going to have to earn his way back to the NFL.

Panthers shoud have another solid defense this year. Their running game is fine. The key will be how their passing game works out.

I hate Vick. That said, I would love to see him signed at league minimum to take snaps in the Wildcat formation. I think that option is worth a roster spot. I don't know if he's been humbled enough to take that roll, and I really doubt Richardson would give him the chance, but I really like what it would add to the playbook....plus you get a respectable 3rd RB and 2nd QB....better than any options that would be available mid-season.

On Vick: Like him or not, I can't stand him, he isn't worth the fallout and the PR and other problems that will come with him. Whatever team chooses to take him, get ready.

Peppers: yes he is worth it. He has backed himself sort of into a corner where he MUST play well. If he does, he becomes more interesting to the teams he wants to move to. If he doesn't he won't be worth his asking price -- right now he has to really show he is an $18mil player. If he doesn't and uses the excuse that he really wanted to be somewhere else other teams might not believe him and think he is past his prime or will say it shows he isn't a team player and chooses when to give 100% and when not to. I think he'll have a great season.

DeAngelo and Stewart...CAN'T WAIT to watch them play.

Agreed on DelHomme -- he is the linchpin to all of this. When he's good he's great, when he's bad he's awful.

GO PANTHERS!

Re: Vick- He is controversial, but you have to take an objective view on it. He has paid his debt to society, and he seems genuinely interested in righting his wrongs. He is still a good ball player. If he doesn't have a strategic value to the Panthers' style of play, then that is another issue entirely. I admit that I don't follow the NFL close enough to know whether or not he would be a good fit in that regard.

^Any team should be thinking of their team and the effects a controvery like taking him on will have for the team as a whole. It isn't worth it overall, and though he has some outstanding qualities, it isn't like he lead the Falcons to the Super Bowl or really anywhere close. Whatever teams takes him needs to really need him, not just 'sort of' what him if they want all of their players to be part of a team tainted in eyes of millions of fans because of this type of player. Paying dues to society, IMO, doesn't entitle you to jump back in to a private enterprise that thousands of others who are qualified, want to play, and are able to stay on the right side of the law. Let him go play in Europe or Canada.

By the way, I feel the same about any player who is paid millions and millions of dollars but can't keep out of trouble, this isn't special to Vick (Plaxico, Pac Man Jones, etc).

Paying dues to society, IMO, doesn't entitle you to jump back in to a private enterprise that thousands of others who are qualified, want to play, and are able to stay on the right side of the law. Let him go play in Europe or Canada.

By the way, I feel the same about any player who is paid millions and millions of dollars but can't keep out of trouble, this isn't special to Vick (Plaxico, Pac Man Jones, etc).

• 1 month later...

That was just awful... I would've thought that after the Arizona debacle, some good may of come out of it for Delhomme. That doesn't appear to be the case. Though, it didn't help that the offensive line couldn't block anyone either. Can't hang it on the defense too much. They were in a bad spot most of the game. If we could just clone Beason and put his heart into a lot of the other guys, the Panthers would be better off... Expect Bill Cowher's phone to be ringing soon if things don't get better.

I've been watching and studing the Panthers since there inception and I just have to say that Jake D. is the worst quarterback the Panthers have ever had bar none, by far. What's worst is the fact that the owners and coach have this dislutional assuption that he will be.

I posted this before last year that Jake was crap

As long as Jake D. is with the Panthers they will NEVER be a championship team. I've said this before and I say it again.

Eleven (11) turnovers in two games BY....HIM...SELF OH MY GOD!!!

Yesterday was brutal. What is Fox thinking continuing to try and force something that doesn't work (Delhomme as a starting NFL quarterback). When they signed him for an extention and, IMO, overpaid him I told myself 'they must see something I'm missing...', now I still think that, but I think what they see is either delutional or just plain wrong. I love going to the games, but I'm not sure I'll buy any more tickets this year or spend any more cash at the stadium to support this idiocy.

I watched the game, and have a positive thing to say. Our Skyline looked GREAT. I live in New York City and my friends from Philly, and New York City were floored by the look of the duke energy center. I can't wait to sit in my seats at BofA Stadium again when i move back to Charlotte some day.

I watched the game, and have a positive thing to say. Our Skyline looked GREAT. I live in New York City and my friends from Philly, and New York City were floored by the look of the duke energy center. I can't wait to sit in my seats at BofA Stadium again when i move back to Charlotte some day.

I vote we forfeit our already incredibly tough schedule (jake or no jake) and hope for a good draft pick to pick up mccoy, tebow, or bradford. That or pick up Jeff Garcia who is a free agent right now. He seemed to do pretty well when we played against him in TB last year.

I like the signing of Feeley for two reasons: 1) It gives the Panthers a solid QB behind Delhomme. Neither McCown or Moore are solid by comparison to Feeley. 2) Most importantly, it's someone that can push Jake. I think part of the problem with him is that he never feels that his job is in jeopardy as long as he's healthy. Granted, Feeley isn't a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning but he is at least a decent enough of a QB that he can start in this league. I think if Jake has someone behind him that can take his job away, you might see a different side of him. Well, at least I'm hoping! :dontknow:

Archived