Charlotte Elections 09

voyager12

First, congrats to Mayor-Elect Foxx.

One thing that troubles me, though, after quickly reviewing the election statistics is the high % of voters that simply pressed the "Straight Party Voting" button. I believe that it was somewhere north of 40% of all voters. Were there that many choices that people couldn't research the individuals to see their views on the issues? I don't have a problem if someone decides to choose all Republicans or all Democrats, but hitting that button (to me at least) is probably more of an indication that you are voting for the party and not the individual, and I think that is a dangerous habit to get into.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still can't believe how well Democrats did here last night. I know the O speculated on a Democratic wave a few weeks ago and they came close to nailing it but I really did not sense it at all. The results add balm to my bruised partisan heart in regards to our national showing. For once Charlotte was non-conformist laugh.gif

I clearly overestimated the strength of local anti-tax conservative candidates in this election. As the election showed, the way way this city is trending Republicans will increasingly be shut out especially if they cling to the right side. If Edwin Peacock is able to exert some influence as the biggest Republican winner and a strong moderate they could rebound.

The elections are another sign that Charlotte has reached or about to reach big-city status. I can't think of one major city (top 25) where Democrats don't dominate. Even amongst mid size cities, Democrats clearly have an advantage. Even Salt City City is a Democratic city. Charlotte's increasingly non-white, young, single, and gay demographics bode well for Charlotte, as do increasing density and higher educational attainment.

There is no singular "truth" in politics, everything is shaped by individual perspective. There have been endless rants on the O's comments page about Charlotte's imminent collapse since election day. While some of the comments are motivated by racism the rest seem to think we have turned into San Francisco over night.

To my mind the Democratic majority on City Council are moderates, some have liberal inclinations but run and govern in the main with a centrist veneer and get reelected. The majority of local Republicans refuse to calibrate their impulses, run as openly right of center and lose.

I am glad to read that Foxx will immediately add Charlotte's signature to the nationwide Mayor's Climate Change agreement. It's these seemingly small actions that will help move Charlotte into the progressive zeitgeist that we want to live in along with Denver, Portland,Austin, et al.

There is no singular "truth" in politics, everything is shaped by individual perspective. There have been endless rants on the O's comments page about Charlotte's imminent collapse since election day. While some of the comments are motivated by racism the rest seem to think we have turned into San Francisco over night.

Archived