Downtown Raleigh Amphitheater

Tico

From gogoraleigh:

"Today the Raleigh City Council approved funding for final plans for the (previously mentioned) downtown amphitheater. The funding will go toward design and noise studies (NIMBYs in Boylan Heights are concerned about noise). The site of the 5,000 seat theater will be on the empty lot adjacent to the convention center, about 5 blocks from the neighborhood. The amphitheater is anticipated to cost $1.5 million and host events too small for Walnut Creek. Last year it was anticipated that Live Nation, the Walnut Creek operator, would run the smaller downtown facility, however according to the WRAL report today, they have backed out of the deal leaving the facility with no current sponsor"

http://www.gogoraleigh.com/2009/08/04/city...r-plan-funding/

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm somewhat ambivalent on whether this amphiteather is needed, especially at this location. I think that this spot would be better served by having a venue that attracts people more routinely, instead of only when concerts are happening.

What immediately comes to mind is the Epicentre in Charlotte.

I'm not sure what you mean. The City Plaza is two blocks away and the land where the amphitheater is planned is being reserved for future convention center expansion. In this case we are literally pitching a tent (that someone gave us) with the in"tent" to take it down when the convention center needs to the land.

Hopefully they have plans to begin expanding the convention center relatively soon. If it doubled in size, then they could start looking at the really big important conventions to host.

Of course not too soon. We still need more hotels first or the whole thing is pointless.

I don't think the city should drop another $200 million or whatever to double the size of the convention center. There are plenty of mid-sized conventions out there that the existing center is fine for. The new convention center was definitely worth building, with the #1 reason being that it allowed Fayetteville Street to be opened. I'd rather see the amphitheater block eventually sold off and developed commercially at some point, be it 5, 10, 20 years from now. Call it Block 7, after blocks 1-6.

Long term roll it together into a public-private thing where you lure a corporate headquarters with the promise of neighboring convention space and an adjoining hotel. Not sure what type of firm would bite on such a settup but just an idea

I'm not sure what you mean. The City Plaza is two blocks away and the land where the amphitheater is planned is being reserved for future convention center expansion. In this case we are literally pitching a tent (that someone gave us) with the in"tent" to take it down when the convention center needs to the land.

• 5 months later...

Archived