Greensboro may install a city-wide camera surveillance system

cityboi

looks like Greensboro may be following the lead of big urban cities such as DC and London by installing cameras all over the city including in residential neighborhoods. The idea started with a camera system in the downtown area but now it could be all over the city. The cameras are suppose to help prevent crime. Watch wfmy News 2 for updates.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
looks like Greensboro may be following the lead of big urban cities such as DC and London by installing cameras all over the city including in residential neighborhoods. The idea started with a camera system in the downtown area but now it could be all over the city. The cameras are suppose to help prevent crime. Watch wfmy News 2 for updates.

In the future can you please provide links to where you get your information or at least state where you got it from.

UPDATE 11:32 I think I found the video you were referring to in your post. But it would have been easier if you had just linked to it yourself.

Nevertheless, I watched it and I would dare say what Greensboro police have in mind is anything like what's in place in cities like DC or London. The cameras Greensboro police are purchasing are not stationary...they're designed to be moved around from trouble spot to trouble spot.

Cities like DC and London have hundreds of cameras that are permanent fixtures where they're located.

bentham and foucault laugh again in their graves.

its interesting to note that private entities have long deployed an 'anonymous eyes' everywhere approach to security. its has very quickly become normal to be on camera when at the bank, pumping gas, playing blackjack, etc.

watching the public deploy these 'eyes' is curious and often alarming. in this case i seriously doubt greensboro has any insidious intentions; they're just being cheap. hackles get raised when this sort of surveillance quietly but steadily becomes normal.

lots to discuss on this subject.... i'll be 'watching'!

Yes its big brother. But this is small potatoes compared to the satellite technologies our government possess. In real time, they can zoom in so close they can make out an individuals face. They have been using this technology in part to track down terrorists. They could be watching you and you wouldn't even know it.

further, its a tragic development because these cameras are taking away yet another human employment opportunity. this is a sad and despotic development in our community.

i'm well aware of the cost differences between operating cameras and employing walking, breathing security persons. what is the civic cost of replacing people with cameras?

do you think the use of this type of security is in some perverse way enhancing our 'urban' image by keeping up with the londons'?

further, its a tragic development because these cameras are taking away yet another human employment opportunity. this is a sad and despotic development in our community.

i'm well aware of the cost differences between operating cameras and employing walking, breathing security persons. what is the civic cost of replacing people with cameras?

do you think the use of this type of security is in some perverse way enhancing our 'urban' image by keeping up with the londons'?

The last little blurb of the news 2 video said the downtown cameras will be installed in September and they are discussing whether to stream the video from them to the web or Cable Channel 13. I hope they do. Occasionally I check out the camera on Center City Park to see whats happening, this would give you four more cams to see whats going on.

im sure downtown residents and business owners will be looking as well. They have to protect their investments. most crimes are alcohol related. That is refelected by the number of bars, nightclubs and restaurants downtown. The more alcohol and people, the greater potenatial for trouble.

Archived