Sycamore at Greenway

atlrvr

A rezoning petition for a new project has been filed that will include 3 buildings in the Gateway Village portion of Uptown (adjacent to Ray's Splash Planet).

One building would be a 20 story residential tower, and a second building would be a 6 story mixed-use buildings. These two buildings are identified as Phase I. A 12 story mixed-use tower is proposed in a 2nd Phase.

Maximum build-out would be 435 residential units and 112,000 sq. ft of commercial space.

The site is currently owned by the County/School System. As part of the the plan, the Irwin Creek greenway would be extended through the property and connect to Elmwood Cemetary.

No renderings were posted but here is the SITE PLAN

I have never heard of the project before, but apparantly a development related entity closed on a portion of the property 2 weeks ago, so perhaps this thing has legs.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, a 20 floor building will really tower over I-77. It is ambitious - in this economy I'll believe it when I see it go vertical. I like the greenway extension and partial creek restoration. I'd like to see the greeway extend through the cemetery and provide connectivity to the NC Music Factory area.

Interesting. Of course this isn't the first large residential project proposed between Elmwood and Gateway Village. Recall 225 N. Cedar. That was orignally proposed as an 11 story building with a postmodern/gothic motif, and later revised down to an 8 story generic design that would blend in with the rest of Gateway Village. (Whatever happened to that one?)

For as imperfect as it is, Gateway Village really does feel like an urban neighborhood. I think it's the more-or-less uninterrupted streetwall that stretches for several blocks, something not found too many places in Charlotte. I'm glad (and also not surprised) to see proposals to add to it.

They've been working on this for a couple years now, presumably someone finally stepped in who feels completion in a couple of years might make it work now. Not sure if it is still part of the plan, but the original one I saw a couple years ago included CMS giving up a bit of land, or maybe the city I can't recall, in return for office space in the commercial element and a server facility for CMS. Good to see this project possibly return -- I thought it was dead.

Unemployment numbers are not encouraging, but the stock market is up over 2500 points in the last few months. Perhaps the developers are hoping to time things right and have this thing up and fresh just as people start spending money again. I agree that a 20 story tower looming over 77 would be a great addition to this section of uptown.

A 20 story residential tower? Isn't our condo and apartment markets already over saturated? Maybe there will be a demand for more residential uptown within several years.....but I dont know. I dont have a magic crystal ball to look into. Wouldn't this tower have trouble getting financing in this market?

This is the oddest place for buildings of that size I have seen in a long time, but I will be glad if it does happen. I run through there all the time and it is great if more density can be built up in the area and further tap into the popular greenway and Frazier Park in the area. Connecting the greenway to the cemetery is a no brainer that was actually already done, as there is a sidewalk and a gate at that part of Elmwood... but the gate is soldered shut. I guess because bad people don't know how to find all the other massive openings to enter the cemetery, so this keeps them out.

Of all the projects to have legs, this one is strange, but glad to see some thing, even if it is just taking the land off of public hands to help the revenue situation.

They've been working on this for a couple years now, presumably someone finally stepped in who feels completion in a couple of years might make it work now. Not sure if it is still part of the plan, but the original one I saw a couple years ago included CMS giving up a bit of land, or maybe the city I can't recall, in return for office space in the commercial element and a server facility for CMS. Good to see this project possibly return -- I thought it was dead.

• 2 weeks later...

I recall John Arciero as the "facilitator". CMS relocating to the site is an integral part of the deal.

CMS is definitely giving up land in this deal, so I assume they are still getting benefits in return. A straight sale seemed odd to me, so exchange for cash and/or office space makes sense.

It appears the original player in the deal who owns an adjacent lot, has brought in a partner who is a "facillitator" by trade. Ultimately I assume the plan is to get the site entitled, agreements with CMS made, and then equity partners and a fee developer brought in to get it done.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if this project is ironically underparked, since it is mixed-use. I think most residents working Uptown will walk to nearby workplaces, which is great, but that means leaving their cars in deck spaces during the very same time of day most office workers will be there.

Maybe some residents will live here for convenience to I-77 if they want to live Uptown but work elsewhere. Those residents are a great match for office as that scenario works well for shared parking. But any residents choosing to live here and work in Gateway Village or elsewhere within walking or Gold Rush distance may ironically create more parking demand.

• 1 month later...

There's a bid out on BidClerk for this project. Based on the description, I'm assuming it's Sycamore at Greenway: Site work and new construction of a mixed-use development in Charlotte. Schematic design plans call for the construction of 100,000 square feet of class-A office space, 12,000 square feet of retail space, and 416 residential units, all contained within three buildings measuring six, 12 and 20 stories.

Estimated start date is August 2011.

It's good to see this project still moving along. Obviously they are banking on both the economy and high-rise housing markets to be viable business opportunities by then, but I think we can all agree there is a big question mark regarding both of those at this point. I do hope this project is seen to fruition at some point though.

On a somewhat related note, I noticed one of the streets this project borders is 6th St. Both this little stretch of 6th and the dead end part of 6th on the other side of 77 should be renamed. None of the three are connected by quite a ways, and I can only imagine the frustration in trying to find an address on one of the extensions after 6th merges into 5th.

• 4 months later...

I wondering if the economy is the very reason it is moving forward. Considering the land belongs to CMS (I believe) and with the budget shortfall they are facing this year and next, it might be in their interest to sell or work-put a deal on tenancy for their administration HQ as discussed earlier in the thread. Either case would free up money for the CMS budget.

As far as the developer, maybe it's a good enough deal for him to build now. I also think the market will be on the upswing within five years which is about when I would envision this project finishing.

Archived