Traverse City

GRDadof3

It's not wonder TC keeps getting rated so highly lately for a great place to live and retire. The downtown and surrounding areas are so cool.

3805432815_ab6cd9791e_b.jpg

Developments along Cass St on the Boardman River:

3806253400_b30a70a50b_b.jpg

3806254934_08766b1239_b.jpg

3805437781_0fdb907f8a_b.jpg

3805441189_c383ccc785_b.jpg

3805442919_186f9cc186_b.jpg

3805444347_4bdb3e0aa7_b.jpg

3805445827_387e40a8f5_b.jpg

3805446875_a925c663f6_b.jpg

3805448357_4df7264c77_b.jpg

3806268668_3fb4e139c1_b.jpg

Notice the wrought iron along the roofline:

3805451241_231281e394_b.jpg

Don't know why, but i LOVE this theater!

3805452355_9cda953b2a_b.jpg

Playbills EVERYWHERE around downtown:

3805453665_24eedd222e_b.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cass St is a side street that runs N/S off of the main drag (Front St). It's more residential and office than retail. The new building that houses Mustard's (in the 4th photo from the end) and the orange and yellow building with the wrought iron closer to Front. HTH

I didn't get a chance mgreven. We come into Traverse City from the East side, so we don't venture over to the West or SW side of town.

That's a pretty weak excuse GRDad. :) It's not like it's a huge trek. Even on a bicycle it would only take about 10-12 mins. to get over there.

You definitely should go down there. It's really pretty cool. And then you can venture over to Moomer's. We go just about every time we're in town.

I was just in TC last week Tuesday - Wednesday. I've known the TC Planning Director for over 30 years. We both graduated from MSU and UM with the same degrees (a BS in Nat. Resources at MSU and a MRP from Michigan). We haven't seen each other since the early 80s, but we've kept in touch and I finally got to meet up with him in his city. Within 15 minutes of saying "hello", he put me on a city owned bicycle (for staff to use for short trips around town) and we were off for a tour. We ended up eating a Stella's in the Traverse City Commons (the redeveloped "insane" asylum). Well-done project. I got a tour of the premises from the son of the developer, including tours of two residences and a trip to a roof top spire (that was once used for ventilation, now is glassed in to provide tremendous view, if you are williing to climb up there).

Quite an adventure! But can I say I prefer Ludington? Now that's a walkable city with a cute little downtown that even has a grocery store and provides very easy foot/bike access direct to a beautiful beach right on Lake Michigan. I watched the SS Badger come steaming across the Lake into the channel. Sort of like watching the fleet come in.

I was just in TC last week Tuesday - Wednesday. I've known the TC Planning Director for over 30 years. We both graduated from MSU and UM with the same degrees (a BS in Nat. Resources at MSU and a MRP from Michigan). We haven't seen each other since the early 80s, but we've kept in touch and I finally got to meet up with him in his city. Within 15 minutes of saying "hello", he put me on a city owned bicycle (for staff to use for short trips around town) and we were off for a tour. We ended up eating a Stella's in the Traverse City Commons (the redeveloped "insane" asylum). Well-done project. I got a tour of the premises from the son of the developer, including tours of two residences and a trip to a roof top spire (that was once used for ventilation, now is glassed in to provide tremendous view, if you are williing to climb up there).

Quite an adventure! But can I say I prefer Ludington? Now that's a walkable city with a cute little downtown that even has a grocery store and provides very easy foot/bike access direct to a beautiful beach right on Lake Michigan. I watched the SS Badger come steaming across the Lake into the channel. Sort of like watching the fleet come in.

Traverse City is definitely where it's at in the northern LP. Use to go up there all the time when I was a kid and spent a few days there last summer. You can stay in a downtown hotel, walk to the beach, stores, and many different restaurants. Driving (when necessary) is easy and there appears to be a lot of great residential units right in the heart of town.

Archived