ArtPeers Launches

Rhino6885

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think they are trying to profit off it, but it seems kind of dumb to have ArtPeers and ArtPrize. It is not like the local community is not (or could not) be represented. Seems like it would have more impact on the art scene if they ran it at a different time- more art throughout the year instead of throwing it at the same time.

Even if there are no hard feelings or intentions to draw people from Art Prize, it smells a bit cliquey and petty to me.

Joe

All ArtPeers is doing is extending the boundries so that LOCAL business' can show art to bring people to their business also. I'm sure that they are having it during the ArtPrize time frame is to draw people that come from out of town or even country that wouldn't come for a small event. I view ArtPeers as an extended ArtPrize.

It would be cool to have voting for ArtPeers so the artitsts can learn how many people like their work.

~John

All ArtPeers is doing is extending the boundries so that LOCAL business' can show art to bring people to their business also. I'm sure that they are having it during the ArtPrize time frame is to draw people that come from out of town or even country that wouldn't come for a small event. I view ArtPeers as an extended ArtPrize.

It would be cool to have voting for ArtPeers so the artitsts can learn how many people like their work.

~John

ArtPeers is really the result of a whole bunch of things intersecting, catalyzed by an obvious uptick in interest in the arts in Grand Rapids--from ArtPrize, ActiveSite, Destination 1111, Avenue of the Arts, etc. The word "peer" is used because Grand Rapids often seems to lack the peer support for art that other cities have. This was observed by Erin at the Wealthy Theatre as quality films and other art showings in the venue have gone under-attended.

We have been worried since the beginning that ArtPeers would be looked at as some sort of backlash against ArtPrize. If you know the organizers of ArtPeers and the venues who have signed on, you know this isn't the case. I don't know of many people more excited than me about ArtPrize. I don't think anybody here has made such an accusation, but I know it is on some peoples' minds so I'm throwing it out there.

All work, website included, has been on a volunteer basis. Some local businesses have made donations to get t-shirts printed (keep your eyes open--will be available soon in many locations throughout Uptown!) It has been amazing to see how willing people are to donate their time and energy to this cause. There are even a couple folks writing a GR art history piece for the website that will get added to as time goes on. It is the hope of organizers that ArtPeers is more than a once-per-year thing. This is an experiment now, but I imagine it will be embraced and continue well into the future.

I guess what I am trying to say (when I am not sleepy), is that I think a lot of people will perceive ArtPeers to be sour grapes. Having hung out with Rhino several times and seeing what he's doing around town, I'm sure it is all above board and good. I just wonder how the public will see it. And for that matter, I think it would be better for the art community and Uptown to have ArtPeers at a different time to keep art events happening throughout the year.

So, no offense was meant. Just thinking out loud.

Joe

• 1 month later...

The map for this weekend's ArtPeers Fall Festival can be found here: http://artpeers.org/sites/default/files/Ar...%20Festival.pdf

The quality of the work is incredible. I don't think many realize the level of talent we have here.

3 days of music, art, and interaction in Uptown. Plus, a free bus that will go from downtown to Uptown each day (from One Trick Pony).

Archived