Why does Richmond not have this vibe?

skycity

Watch this short link about the new Devon Energy headquarters building that is about to be built in Oklahoma City:

http://feeds.newsok.tv/services/player/bcp...ctid=1743153091

...and then think about my question. It's not just about getting a beautiful new downtown building (although that would be nice). It's about an attitude about investing in your city and thinking big. I have never seen anyone stand up in Richmond and talk like this. Don't we have more Fortune 500's here then Oklahoma City? Haven't we grown as fast or faster than Oklahoma City?

I see Richmond's lack of leadership as something that could stifle our growth at some point. We get so excited about Richmond Center Stage and the Williams Mullen building but the truth is that these developments are quite timid when compared to what other cities do.

Richmond needs to INVEST in quality of life and education! The arts, sports, building the finest and most innovative universities and thinking BIGGER. A perfect example is the loss of the slavery museum. By adding something like this to all the development at the canal walk Richmond could have been THE Civil War city. Instead we thought provincially and were satisfied to forever be "the capital of the confederacy."

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this topic. It's just the mindset and mentality of being a progressive, forward thinking, upwardly mobile city. Oklahoma City only has two fortune 500 companies in their metro, less than Richmond, and my city. Oklohoma City is one of the least dense cities in the country and has a metro about the size of Richmond's, but they have a NBA team, are building a 1000 foot tower, and their downtown is growing at a much faster rate. Tell me how that happens?

This might be a step in the right direction:

By Rachel DePompa - bio {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} email

Posted by Terry Alexander - email

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Baseball struck out, but these city council members are hoping a tier one medical facility will hit a home run in Shockoe Bottom.

"We've had so many things in Shockoe Bottom proposed and I think the people are getting worn out with it. This is one of things that came along that had some legs," said Doug Conner, Richmond City Council Member.

Moderator note: Please do not post full articles; instead post a brief summary with a link to the original. Thank you.

Nothing sucks the life out of an area like a big friggin' hospital, honestly. The people visiting the hospital are not the types of folks that are going to support good local restaurants or even hang around the area. Look at the night life around MCV and ask yourself if that's what you want for the Bottom.

Nothing sucks the life out of an area like a big friggin' hospital, honestly. The people visiting the hospital are not the types of folks that are going to support good local restaurants or even hang around the area. Look at the night life around MCV and ask yourself if that's what you want for the Bottom.

I'm leaning against this medical center plan for Shockoe Bottom - not to say it wouldn't be great somewhere else in the city. I think it really damages the opportunities for creating a major TOD mixed use district anchored by Main Street Station. Build the medical complex north of Broad on VCU's parking lots.

Archived