Downtown Raleigh parking

citiboi27610

I wanted to clear what i said up. Towing will come back to private lots that will need to be explicitly signed. All the decks and so on will be pay and city lots will be citation only. But on-street parking will soon see towing again for parking in a no parking zone or loading zones. these are obvious disregards for signage. These are the people that deserve to get towed.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, people parking illegally in clearly marked spaces should be towed.

Send those tow truck drivers that are bored out to the highway, I'm sick of seeing broken down cars out there.

I see a lot of signs that are marked "parking for customers only." I wonder how many people actually abide by those rules. I doubt the management of many of the restaurants tow too often. I doubt they look to see what there patrons drive up in before they come into dine. I agree that parking illegally is wrong and very aggrevating.

I see a lot of signs that are marked "parking for customers only." I wonder how many people actually abide by those rules. I doubt the management of many of the restaurants tow too often. I doubt they look to see what there patrons drive up in before they come into dine. I agree that parking illegally is wrong and very aggrevating.

The parking for customers does depend upon the place. I heard that Mo's Burger Joint In G.South is almost militant about it.

I'm surpised they used my "education problem" quote. I want to check out these new "smart meters", but will wait till the sidwalk situation gets a little better, at least along Hargett.

I am glad it was not a "our readers have spoken - you can't park in downtown Raleigh" column. But using Cafe Luna as an example is bad, since the parking deck is in plain sight from Luna's entrance, and they have a lot right across the street next to Roly Poly.

Has anyone heard about a delay in opening up Fayetville Street? It seems like they are nowhere close to paving the 100 and 200 blocks when I looked during the weekend.

I'm surpised they used my "education problem" quote. I want to check out these new "smart meters", but will wait till the sidwalk situation gets a little better, at least along Hargett.

I am glad it was not a "our readers have spoken - you can't park in downtown Raleigh" column. But using Cafe Luna as an example is bad, since the parking deck is in plain sight from Luna's entrance, and they have a lot right across the street next to Roly Poly.

Has anyone heard about a delay in opening up Fayetville Street? It seems like they are nowhere close to paving the 100 and 200 blocks when I looked during the weekend.

I thought I heard WRAL or the Mayor say "August" recently. What's the problem? Weather not been good enough for paving? (is there an emoticon for eye-rolling?)

The contractor asked for an extension until the end of the summer because Bellsouth took a long time to move its utilities. The City has not agreed to any extension and will likely grant less than requested because of the below normal rainfall.

Everything was going "according to schedule" at the beginning of the year. With the dry weather, work should have gone even quicker! This is the first I have heard of a problem with Bellsouth, and don't see any reason as to why it took so long to fix. A few months ago, it would be open in late May and have a grand reopening in June or July. Now August? I can't roll my eyes hard enough!

After re-reading the story, the "smart meters" are in Portland, not here. There does need to be some meter token program or something that businesses can do to offset the parking to promote downtown shopping. A date stamped "free day pass out of any deck" card or something to encourage people to not fill up the on-street spots.

Also, the decks near Raleigh Memorial are free nights and weekends *except* during events. I think this may be confusing to outsiders as well. If they only come downtown for such events, then they'll think it costs to park there *every* night and weekend, which is not the case.

Are smart meters the thing they have over at the Nasher Museum at Duke?

You guess how long you'll be and pay for a ticket for that would consider the space "paid for" for a certain time... It took one of my dollars without giving me credit, and did not take credit cards yet, but such a system would be nice:

- one meter vs. several

- takes alternative forms of payment (credit cards,"smart" cell phones)

- shops and restaurants could hand out prepaid cards to get repeat business from customers.

I'd rather see one box vs. the row of meters around Moore and Nash squares, etc. The 1/2 hour parking signs do not give the citizen or the parking police a paper trail to verify how much time a space was occupied. Some smart meters that reset when a car pulls out seems evil though.

Are smart meters the thing they have over at the Nasher Museum at Duke?

You guess how long you'll be and pay for a ticket for that would consider the space "paid for" for a certain time... It took one of my dollars without giving me credit, and did not take credit cards yet, but such a system would be nice:

- one meter vs. several

- takes alternative forms of payment (credit cards,"smart" cell phones)

- shops and restaurants could hand out prepaid cards to get repeat business from customers.

I'd rather see one box vs. the row of meters around Moore and Nash squares, etc. The 1/2 hour parking signs do not give the citizen or the parking police a paper trail to verify how much time a space was occupied. Some smart meters that reset when a car pulls out seems evil though.

I haven't been to the Nasher Museum, but it sounds like the same thing. A single box for each side of the street (or maybe more depending on the size). You 'guess' how long you'll be there, just like now! and the machine prints out a reciept/sticker, that you adhere to your window.

I haven't been to the Nasher Museum, but it sounds like the same thing. A single box for each side of the street (or maybe more depending on the size). You 'guess' how long you'll be there, just like now! and the machine prints out a reciept/sticker, that you adhere to your window.

I believe that the single pay machine is headed to Nash Square arount the City Hall. It will be tested there to see if it can be implemented in other areas in the city. It is a pay machine that you pay for the space for a designated length of time. It takes cash and credit card. I see the city going this way throughout downtown because Charlotte has these little things everywhere.

I believe that the single pay machine is headed to Nash Square arount the City Hall. It will be tested there to see if it can be implemented in other areas in the city. It is a pay machine that you pay for the space for a designated length of time. It takes cash and credit card. I see the city going this way throughout downtown because Charlotte has these little things everywhere.

Excellent!

Ready for some more eye-rolling? On Friday, just after showing Ken Smith live at the DBAP, Debra Morgan gave us this little teaser before going to a commercial:

"Sometimes finding a parking space in downtown Raleigh can be harder than hitting a grand slam home run! [but officals are working on a solution]...

ARRGHH - Message: "Parking in DT Raleigh is HARD"

What about teaser like: "After the break, we'll fill you in on how Raleigh leaders are looking for ways to make it even easier to park downtown and escape the violent crime wave hitting north Raleigh shopping centers." :D

• 5 months later...

Thanks for replying to my question. That was one of my first posts. I am an engineering student and have been keeping track of the developement in Raleigh since I've been away. I'm trying to learn some 'real' knowledge as I go through my education.

That being said: Do any of the city officials or the Dowtown Raleigh Alliance read these forums? I've seen so many valuable ideas and insight on all of the forums. It would be a powerful asset to be aware of what is posted here.

Yes, we do. This forum, and others, provide some insight into the minds of some of those amongst the Raleigh citizenry whom have a passion for downtown. Unfortunately, it is not often that the debates on these forums take into account a holsitic understanding of the myraid interests, expectations, and stakeholders that play a role in shaping our city. The issues that we confront in Downtown Raleigh often involve a confluence of disciplines and perspectives - everything from urban planning and economic development to large, sweeping social issues like homelessness. Each perspective has its own internal debates and theories, and it often takes an understanding and appreciation of multiple viewpoints to truly understand what has happened and is happening to shape downtown's built environment. That being said;

I do believe, and have said as much to some of you in person, that a great deal can be achieved on the grassroots level, both in cups of coffee on saturdays to support the risk-taking merchants in the Fayetteville Street District to the showing of your support or lack thereof to your elected representatives concerning issues that impact Downtown Raleigh. If you love Downtown Raleigh and yearn for a brighter future, become a steward of downtown in any way that you can.

I couldn't believe it either. Wow. There are PLENTY of decks in the near vicinity of the courthouse (seemed to be the top destination of the folks in that story). I can't imagine that they'd be hard pressed to find ANY parking down there. wow. I park in a surface lot downtown (only b/c that's where i'm assigned) and I wouldn't be sad to see it go at all.

Off topic-- I think it's going to be good to have WTVD as a presence downtown. By virtue of their location in the Hudson, they'll be in the perfect spot to give updates of the RBC plaza (next door). I liked how the reporter also mentioned the new RBC deck. I get the feeling watching the local stations that they're behind the times on downtown development. WRAL-TV for instance, their opening credits still show scenes of downtown witht the old cc... Something to ponder.

• 3 weeks later...

Eliminating these parking regs would open the door for some of the older 6-10 story office buildings downtown to be converted into condos or apartments. Less expensive rent & condos, let the residents work out the parking situation on their own (there's plenty of spaces availabe for lease all over DT)

Archived