Paper Airplanes?

wingbert

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the issue with leveraging his fairly large social network to garner votes is that a good portion of the people voting likely didn't even see the event, they're simply voting because he's this wacky guy doing wacky stuff and they like his big facebook page. For an example of how this works out, check out this year's Time Magazine's Most Influential Person poll. The winner (moot) won simply by having an army of voting robots on his side due to the fact that he runs a website with a lot of traffic. Outside of that, he certainly didn't accomplish anything influential this year or any other. If you follow that link, you'll also find a number of strangely unfamiliar names in the top 21 positions, because the same website users rigged the whole thing to spell out an inside joke as simply getting moot in the top position was too easy.

The other concern is that there is serious money on the line, so a kid rolling in to game the system tends to make people a little suspicious of the entire process which doesn't reflect well on the prospects of a similar prize being offered again.

Essentially, it turns "ArtPrize" into "Internet Popularity Prize" which I doubt was the original intention.

I think the issue with leveraging his fairly large social network to garner votes is that a good portion of the people voting likely didn't even see the event, they're simply voting because he's this wacky guy doing wacky stuff and they like his big facebook page. For an example of how this works out, check out this year's Time Magazine's Most Influential Person poll. The winner (moot) won simply by having an army of voting robots on his side due to the fact that he runs a website with a lot of traffic. Outside of that, he certainly didn't accomplish anything influential this year or any other. If you follow that link, you'll also find a number of strangely unfamiliar names in the top 21 positions, because the same website users rigged the whole thing to spell out an inside joke as simply getting moot in the top position was too easy.

The other concern is that there is serious money on the line, so a kid rolling in to game the system tends to make people a little suspicious of the entire process which doesn't reflect well on the prospects of a similar prize being offered again.

Essentially, it turns "ArtPrize" into "Internet Popularity Prize" which I doubt was the original intention.

Don't discount the fact that the Paper Airplane Drop was essentially a dud. Most of the planes fell in big clumps straight to the ground (need lighter paper stock maybe?) As stupid as many people think the general public is, they're not going to "vote up" en masse to something that wasn't good. Which is probably why he's still in the "Most Controversial" category (up and down votes too close together to call).

Technically it might of been a dud but the response from many were stuff like 'oh well, great atmosphere', 'exciting', and 'fun'. I would submit you can't discount those factors either, otherwise the vote downs would be significantly higher. If one of the purposes of art is to elicit an emotional response either positively or negatively then it succeeded. If the purpose is to get publicity then it was extremely successful.

Archived